tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well that usually means the CPU is doing constant full cycles, heating up and using more power.
Had you used some app before making those calls or did it just get warm as you were making the call?

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the one thing that bothers me about the phone. It doesn't get HOT, but it def gets very warm, to the point where you can really notice it (it doesn't burn or feel unconformable, its just annoying knowing that your phone is running hot/warm)

Benjamin Mendez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well that usually means the CPU is doing constant full cycles, heating up and using more power.
Had you used some app before making those calls or did it just get warm as you were making the call?
Just my Facebook app, email hub, and texting hub. It cool off really fast as well after I got off the call. Very annoying that it got very warm so fast. I wonder if it has to do with the 4g using more battery.

Benjamin Mendez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This is the one thing that bothers me about the phone. It doesn't get HOT, but it def gets very warm, to the point where you can really notice it (it doesn't burn or feel unconformable, its just annoying knowing that your phone is running hot/warm)
It got really uncomfortable for me, I tried plugging my headphones to not hold it my any longer but the headphones did not work. weird they did work with with hd7.

fplytheearth

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 Overheating

Just bought my Nokia Lumia 920 yesterday, all seemed fine, until this evening when I reached into my jacket pocket to grab my phone and it was uncomfortably warm. The top half of the phone is where the heat source was coming from.

In reading some of the posts, someone mentioned the cpu running. Before leaving for dinner, I was syncing my gmail emails which are in the hundreds...I'm assuming that the while my phone was asleep, it was still syncing cuz by the time I reached for my phone about an hour later at dinner, my phone was super warm, and the battery had drained.

What ever the reason, cpu running, etc., etc., any product shouldn't be overheating, seems to me to be bad design. I'm thinking of returning my phone.

DarkMatterNic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Just talked to AT&T and I was asked to take my phone to the Store to get its battery replaced. Should that not work I'd have to replace my unit after I get my phone backed up to Zune/PC. I'll add to/edit my this post if the battery replacement does the trick so the folks who experience this issue in the future can I least follow this path as a preliminary troubleshooting step. Thanks for sharing.

wmcaceres

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 will overheat while doing Skype videochat to the point it shuts down. It's done this several times now. Has anybody else experienced this?

BuddhaLite

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
My wife had that experience. The screen went to snow and had to soft reset. Ever since then it randomly reboots. I sent an email to Elop with a picture of what happened and an explanation. The next day I got a response and he sent it to the VP of customer support, Alf Noto. Nokia called me and asked for the phone back instead of having me return it to ATT. Since they're out of the red they're going to send a loaner and then ship out a red when it's in stock.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
OK, folks, just so you know... the overheating is directly related to battery and radio issues (Bluetooth, Syncing, etc). Likewise, the 8X is having similar issues.

The bottom line is that the firmware and power management in WP8 is definitely buggy, and I've posted on enough other threads documenting why I feel this way, so go find the "Battery Issues? You're just paranoid" or the "Bugs/Defects" threads for details.

Replacing your phone won't (permanently) solve your issue, so don't bother. This is something that's software related, and we're going to require a fix from Microsoft on this one. Hopefully they'll release an update quickly.

The only consistently dependable fix is to drain the battery, recharge it, and reboot the phone... although I think it's the act of powering down the phone and reboot that actually shuts off the "stuck" radios and fixes the issue. Whether the issue comes back or not is another matter.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that I think this is most likely a software bug vs. a hardware issue. Its very much like something is running full tilt in the background. Hopefully MS will figure it out soon.

Acacia Pelos

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I've only had one Skype conversation on my Nokia Lumia 920 and it overheated while plugged in and shut itself off. Its nice that it shuts off, but I rather it not over heat at all. I notice it does get very warm for a period of time and will cool down quickly after use of applications.

ody360

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
My sister is on her 3rd replaced Lumia 920 (white) from AT&T... Once again it overheated today and shutdown. She has taken my advice of fully draining and charging phone, looking at background apps and reinstalling certain apps, but she has become frustrated to a point that she is returning the phone for either an iphone or s3. I feel bad for her because I recommended the phone as a WP user, and she tried modifying her smartphone use to adapt to the lumia, but in the end, essentials like the phone staying on and not overheating every other day has forced her away from the phone. I hope this get figured out by the time I am ready to upgrade phones next month.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
May I add a tip for those finding phone hot in pocket? - in settings launch camera when screen is locked and allow search when screen is locked are by default set to yes. Meaning enough pressure on camera button or enough pressure on soft-buttons = phone waking up and sleeping and doing that again and again without you knowing! Ideally if you aren't very sure, keep them off if you are fond of jeans.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon