No way to turn off 4G/LTE and just use 3G?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing a mobile network setting,just cellular and it doesn't allow me to do much other than turn data off

I was looking for the same thing as I live on a fringe area. Although battery life has been great for the one whole day that I've had it.

Maybe it's not available on the AT&T model.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
AT&T seems to block this on Window Phones. They blocked it on all WP7 devices I have seen and the seem to want to block it on WP8. They do not block it on Iphone. I do not understand why they will not let you change it. If I am in an area with 3G only, I would like to set the connect speed to 3G, to save battery.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Apple probably won't let them. No idea what purpose it serves AT&T unless its to get people off the over saturated 3G networks

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Whitedragem

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I am on international version of 8.1 (not a custom release for a service provider, hence should be 'vanilla'; without additions/raw: No option (anymore) to select network variations. Living out if 4G/LTE coverage, often fringe areas, and never needing the extra bandwidth, prefer leaving 4G off
Previously I have had improved battery life from doing this (a once off manual setting, just as randomly buried in the old options menus, that would allow me to easily switch the feature on the off chance I need a mega large download, faster).

So we get a quick access menu, but the OS now lacks another useful feature we previously had.
For me, trying the voice app to get help for this (and being directed to specific ways to do so for apple and android -made me laugh), I realized my time with this OS is up.
I am a power user/techie. No USB tethering for the phone, as a modem, means I cannot setup laptops that don't get WiFi drivers with a windows install.
The google services on winphone hurts me (major lack of compatability, and I don't chalk this up to google as previous experience is they go out of their way to work with Microsoft products, but MS goes out of its way to ensure market ownership, which is really working against them for just that.

Anyhow, needing WiFi to get the 8.1 update, which I needed an update to get that 'new' removed functionality (being able to use my phone, the only internet I have) to update itself.
Knowing I cannot rely on this OS to keep existing,often already limited, features.. And the fact that the product in its present state misses out on more than halve of my needs on it (the web browser cannot render four of the seven webpages I visit weekly/daily, and all other web browsers in the store are just GUI or front ends to the same web engine (I hope I am wrong about that).

Hi rez music files have to be on the cloud to be played on my device? What the?!! (did I mention my phone is the only data source for my household?!)

Oh and every time I do get on the net, I KNOW MS give preference for my pricely data to be used for 'feedback' every which way they can shoehorn it in. (how long does a 'check for updates take'?!!)

This is a joke OS on nice hardware.
I do gather its compatability with MS products is solid (although I can add android as an extended desktop to my win PC, why not my winphone?), their email/exchange and network stuff for some corporations IS leading edge! But why oh why does such a subset get all product direction focus; if MS wants everyone to use their products, why not include the masses that the other big players seem to capture, or did I miss the mission statement that WinPhone is for business users only?
Anyhow, for my livelihood, my phone is a tool, and this one just doesn't get the job done.

+ve Battery life is stellar (though OS prioritises my favorite and most used app everytime as needed to be closed to conserve ram, not the oldest one/least used, arrg I am signing out cause the more I think about this the more I realize I have been in hell.

Nokia camera is decent quality, nice having manual photography options. Yay. Found an actual positive.
Hope those darn business users enjoy this feature. Lucky bastards.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You guys might have to use Field Test. (I forgot the key code for it though.)

I am on international version of 8.1 (not a custom release for a service provider, hence should be 'vanilla'; without additions/raw: No option (anymore) to select network variations. Living out if 4G/LTE coverage, often fringe areas, and never needing the extra bandwidth, prefer leaving 4G off
Previously I have had improved battery life from doing this (a once off manual setting, just as randomly buried in the old options menus, that would allow me to easily switch the feature on the off chance I need a mega large download, faster).

So we get a quick access menu, but the OS now lacks another useful feature we previously had.
For me, trying the voice app to get help for this (and being directed to specific ways to do so for apple and android -made me laugh), I realized my time with this OS is up.
I am a power user/techie. No USB tethering for the phone, as a modem, means I cannot setup laptops that don't get WiFi drivers with a windows install. Fair enough.
The google services on winphone hurts me (major lack of compatability, and I don't chalk this up to google as previous experience is they go out of their way to work with Microsoft products, but MS goes out of its way to ensure market ownership, which is really working against them for just that. On the contrary, its been well established that those roles you outlined are reversed in this case. (MS developing OneNote, Office, etc. for Android while Google shoots down third-party clients for their services, the famous YouTube fiasco, and does what they can to ensure market ownership.)

Anyhow, needing WiFi to get the 8.1 update, which I needed an update to get that 'new' removed functionality (being able to use my phone, the only internet I have) to update itself.
Knowing I cannot rely on this OS to keep existing,often already limited, features.. And the fact that the product in its present state misses out on more than halve of my needs on it (the web browser cannot render four of the seven webpages I visit weekly/daily, and all other web browsers in the store are just GUI or front ends to the same web engine (I hope I am wrong about that).

Hi rez music files have to be on the cloud to be played on my device? What the?!! (did I mention my phone is the only data source for my household?!)
That doesn't make sense? I dont think it requires cloud for any music, can you elaborate? I'm curious.

Oh and every time I do get on the net, I KNOW MS give preference for my pricely data to be used for 'feedback' every which way they can shoehorn it in. (how long does a 'check for updates take'?!!)
turn off feedback then, and its Wi-fi only. (I can't judge check for updates since I don't know how its done)

This is a joke OS on nice hardware. No, its an OS that fails to meet your personal needs.
I do gather its compatability with MS products is solid (although I can add android as an extended desktop to my win PC, why not my winphone?), their email/exchange and network stuff for some corporations IS leading edge! But why oh why does such a subset get all product direction focus; if MS wants everyone to use their products, why not include the masses that the other big players seem to capture, or did I miss the mission statement that WinPhone is for business users only?
Anyhow, for my livelihood, my phone is a tool, and this one just doesn't get the job done.

+ve Battery life is stellar (though OS prioritises my favorite and most used app everytime as needed to be closed to conserve ram, not the oldest one/least used, arrg I am signing out cause the more I think about this the more I realize I have been in hell.

Nokia camera is decent quality, nice having manual photography options. Yay. Found an actual positive.
Hope those darn business users enjoy this feature. Lucky bastards.

My input in bold above.

Welp, can't help some of those issues, good luck whatever you do.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Whitedragem, no one is holding you back...go get an Android or iPhone...why come here to dis on the OS, most people here are happy with the OS

Whitedragem

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Lets not make a piece of software a personal crusade.

My statements, if I sound bitter, is because I buy the most expensive phones and expect a couple of years out of them.
The hardware in my phone is excellent. The software to use said hardware, not so much.
I presented a few real world hiccups, and my beef being my windows phone is aka win mobile and win CE platforms have had features that I relied on, that each new iteration of the OS seems to cull.

Hi rez files, being 24/96 flac, MS forces me to keep in the cloud if I want to use on device. No media players (at last check) had reasonable ways around this. MS owns the directory structure, and what goes where.
You would think you could copy a ringtone across to the appropriate folder (the only way to make a song on the phone a ringtone), but no, the phone has to be hooked to PC to move a file (on the phone).

This is a joke OS for many reasons, of which I could outline for a long time. Things they previously do well, get thrown out the door in a heartbeat for no valid reason all too often.

I agree that forcing a WiFi network for a large update, could be argued, as favorable, preventing unexpected costs to users.
But why not let me tick a box saying I AM responsible for maintaining my phone bill and WANT to update my phone like I have done forever.

Sure, tell me to go get a new phone. Single dad raising a child, n flash phones ARE NOT a luxury? Maybe we just life in different parts of the world, but I am a techie, an experienced phone user, been using data through phones as primary communications since 1998. I have had most flavours, and seen most OSs. Didn't touch iOS (yet think OS X was best thing to happen in computing world)

True I go where my needs take me. But buying a solution that works, that then, needing updates for basic features to be added, that purposefully strip out existing functionality means I cannot rely on a tool to work. Not the fault of the hardware.

And for every google not working with MS statement, I could find two statements going the other way. I am a fan boy to no company. I research, and educate others towards technical solutions to life problems.
I will slash and burn a $900 phone (sell for $200), and find a second hand mid tier android.
Sad I HAVE to do this! I waited for 8.1 (win os fanatics always state 'just wait for the next update, it will get better', but that is a dance with an unreliable partner, I can no longer afford to risk.

If people want to 'burn the witch' (me). Sure. But, why not educate me on how to play FLACs on my phone. To tether my phone as a modem. Etc etc etc. Is there any other browser or are they just themes for the same IE backend?
Surely if I actually downloaded the right aps from the store I could do some things I consider modern phone basics. But MS want a lockdown. This takes all power from the end user. Sure that does still suit the masses.
But don't target me for being upset that the awesome hardware/chipset in my phone, running a competitors OS would be a flawless victory, whereas, my OS provider is happy to keep strippng I back, and I never know which features will get culled next.

Anyhow, I truly did come here, not to rant, but to find an easy way to switch on/off 4g connectivity.
Anyone?
(FLAC file playback would be awesome too, as would another web browser; I am running only default apps, what do I need to make my phone servicable?)

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Lets not make a piece of software a personal crusade.

My statements, if I sound bitter, is because I buy the most expensive phones and expect a couple of years out of them.
The hardware in my phone is excellent. The software to use said hardware, not so much.
I presented a few real world hiccups, and my beef being my windows phone is aka win mobile and win CE platforms have had features that I relied on, that each new iteration of the OS seems to cull.

Hi rez files, being 24/96 flac, MS forces me to keep in the cloud if I want to use on device. No media players (at last check) had reasonable ways around this. MS owns the directory structure, and what goes where.
You would think you could copy a ringtone across to the appropriate folder (the only way to make a song on the phone a ringtone), but no, the phone has to be hooked to PC to move a file (on the phone).

This is a joke OS for many reasons, of which I could outline for a long time. Things they previously do well, get thrown out the door in a heartbeat for no valid reason all too often.

I agree that forcing a WiFi network for a large update, could be argued, as favorable, preventing unexpected costs to users.
But why not let me tick a box saying I AM responsible for maintaining my phone bill and WANT to update my phone like I have done forever.

Sure, tell me to go get a new phone. Single dad raising a child, n flash phones ARE NOT a luxury? Maybe we just life in different parts of the world, but I am a techie, an experienced phone user, been using data through phones as primary communications since 1998. I have had most flavours, and seen most OSs. Didn't touch iOS (yet think OS X was best thing to happen in computing world)

True I go where my needs take me. But buying a solution that works, that then, needing updates for basic features to be added, that purposefully strip out existing functionality means I cannot rely on a tool to work. Not the fault of the hardware.

And for every google not working with MS statement, I could find two statements going the other way. I am a fan boy to no company. I research, and educate others towards technical solutions to life problems.
I will slash and burn a $900 phone (sell for $200), and find a second hand mid tier android.
Sad I HAVE to do this! I waited for 8.1 (win os fanatics always state 'just wait for the next update, it will get better', but that is a dance with an unreliable partner, I can no longer afford to risk.

If people want to 'burn the witch' (me). Sure. But, why not educate me on how to play FLACs on my phone. To tether my phone as a modem. Etc etc etc. Is there any other browser or are they just themes for the same IE backend?
Surely if I actually downloaded the right aps from the store I could do some things I consider modern phone basics. But MS want a lockdown. This takes all power from the end user. Sure that does still suit the masses.
But don't target me for being upset that the awesome hardware/chipset in my phone, running a competitors OS would be a flawless victory, whereas, my OS provider is happy to keep strippng I back, and I never know which features will get culled next.

An app called Light is a nice flac player

Whitedragem

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I did a search for "light"; it didn't show. (I was freaking that Australia might not get it) I check back here; that I had typed the right word.
Typing "Light flac", found it, but alas I am still stuck; being without SD card expansion. (the nightmare of my last week of life in research come flooding back..)
It looks nice; and they do say they are adding WiFi transfer as a workaround for my phone model with their next update.

I guess I can give up on the need for flac. I don't use my phone for mission critical listening.
I know my TV (and my headphones) all gain a to be of usability upgrades if I go with a competitor OS. I guess this is what people complain about when they say the shop I missing software.

I know that we like to defend out buying purchases. I highly doubt that the majority of board members here researched their phone OS purchase prior to buying; in truth it is a near impossible task to do, as the real nitty gritty features and the simple reality that you can't please everyone in a design decision (humans have personal taste and freewill); I wouldn't call everyone here happy though. This forum at a quick glance in at present flooding with dislike for the update. I am not reading them though as I don't want to be caught up in some OS war argument.
And I can figure out what I like for myself.

I will miss my history of SMS messages and phone records that come with jumping platforms. I know migrate tools will get my address book, but I hardly doubt my back history of received SMS will.
I would like to keep it. The camera is excellent and the nokia tech ultrafast screen (with excellent sunlight readability) I wont find elsewhere.
And I wouldn't touch the Nokia Android phones. They are like sample bags to get people hooked on MS services and eventual jump ship to full Winphone nokias. Microsoft actually said this in the product brief as the Android Nokias started to ship. They are cheap, yay. I think they actually lock down folders again, and force Bing (now hopefully 'cortana') and I will stop this way off topic rant.
Thanks, seriously for suggesting some software solutions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb