Where can I order then 920 international version?

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like to order the international Lumia 920 unlocked. I heard the Rogers Canada version also has all the frequencies and is unlocked.

I want to pick up the international device so I can use it on my carrier of choice such as T-Mobile and not worry about contracts.

I realize it launched on AT&T yesterday but I don't like that model as it's missing frequencies and locked to AT&T. Plus I refuse to use AT&T due to past experiences but mostly due to the monthly cost.

Is the unlocked international 920 available to order online yet? I would also consider the Ativ S if it has the 1700 tmo band.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you just buy a locked AT&T one and use it on an MVNO like Red Pocket or StraightTalk?

Does straighttalk work abroad? I'm on my way asia... How's their 3g\4g coverage? What's MVNO? I still don't like the AT&T model as it's missing frequencies and would need to unlock it somehow to use on straightalk?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Does straighttalk work abroad? I'm on my way asia... How's their 3g\4g coverage? What's MVNO? I still don't like the AT&T model as it's missing frequencies and would need to unlock it somehow to use on straightalk?

It does not work abroad as far as I'm aware. You get 4G, but not LTE. MVNO stands for Mobile Virtual Network Provider. They basically rent the ability to use the big boys' networks (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) and sell you prepaid service. In essence, I'm enjoying AT&T's network (minus LTE) at less than half the monthly cost.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if you'd know this, but on the site it says AT&T unlocked, but it lists all the bands necessary. Has anyone ordered from this site yet? I will probably contact their customer service on Monday to confirm that it will indeed work on T-Mobile US with full data speeds.

Yup call them. The have a real good ResellerRatings score, so I am sure they'll be helpful:
Gsm Nation Reviews - gsmnation.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you'd know this, but on the site it says AT&T unlocked, but it lists all the bands necessary. Has anyone ordered from this site yet? I will probably contact their customer service on Monday to confirm that it will indeed work on T-Mobile US with full data speeds.

Hmm let me know what you find out. Doesn't seem accurate unless unlocking it somehow unlocks 1700.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm let me know what you find out. Doesn't seem accurate unless unlocking it somehow unlocks 1700.

Well, I don't think we actually know for sure that the AT&T is missing 1700. It is not in the manual from what I understand...but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't working. It's just an assumption that it *might* be locked out via firmware.

Either way, hopefully the 3rd party unlockers can deliver and we can get a good test case one way or the other.

If the available networks is able to be displayed, one might be able to tell without unlocking the phone by seeing if T-mobile 3G shows up on the list in a market where the refarming is not done yet. Even if it can't actually connect due to SIM restrictions it should still see the network if the AWS band is working.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I would just rather have the international version anyway. I really don't want a stupid at&t logo on my phone. Anyone know the release date of international version?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I would just rather have the international version anyway. I really don't want a stupid at&t logo on my phone. Anyone know the release date of international version?

We don't have real-world confirmation one way or the other that the international version supports AWS, either. The international version has a different FCC ID from the north american version..and it was not tested with AWS bands so technically it is not certified to operate in the U.S. with AWS 3G. In addition, it might not have the ability to use LTE in the U.S. so that might be a limiting factor as well.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...me=N&application_id=134084&fcc_id='PYARM-821'

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Any answers yet? Thanks

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite disappointed in Nokia. I can go to Google's website and buy the Nexus 4 tomorrow and use it on what ever carrier I like. Should be able to do the same from Nokia. I'm about to leave the country for a month and wanted to take with me a new 920. Looks like I'll be using my android phone for a bit longer. No wonder Microsoft is making their own phone, this is ridiculous. Lots of users are asking where can they buy it unlocked for a reasonable price. Answer is you can't.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Any answers yet? Thanks

So I contacted GSMNation support and they told me that their 920s will work on T-Mobile with full data speeds, however I couldn't get them to give me anything that might prove it (such as a picture of the device or the info on the box). And for good measure I decided to see if they would price match AT&T (spoiler: they said no). For me, it's not worth spending $780 for an unlocked version of this phone. Here's the transcript of our conversation.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Based on your conversation, it does look like the phone would work on T-Mobile but as you said the price is very prohibitive. Thanks for posting the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven