Bricked my 920... careful of a hard reset

Johannes Michel

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i cant get it off....
all i get is a screen showing me a battery and a blinking power cord symbol.
if i reboot the phone holding the volume up, there is a flash an wheel symbol. Bute ich cant get to the exclamation mark.

roffir

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine would shut off on its own when not plugged in. When not plugged in I would get the att logo then a blue screen then it would shut off after about a minute. When plugged in it would never turn off just cycle through att->blue screen-> att...

Johannes Michel

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
if i hold the vol down and pwr, its just looping to boot and vibrate every 3-5 seconds and loops... if i than release i get the battery icon, after 3 seconds the screen goes black. no matter if its plugged in or not, this happens all the time.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
The same thing is happening to me (reboots and doesn't get past Nokia logo). I'm going to take it in to get it replaced. I don't see any hope for saving it now.

anon(5367510)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm home for lunch from work, I tried this and holding the volume down and power buttons brings up the ATT logo screen and then just goes through and endless loop of that as long as I hold those buttons down.

Yeah this is the same result I'm getting. As long as I continue to hold the Volume Down and Power buttons, it simply loops through the AT&T Logo. The moment I let go, it just proceeds to boot up normally. I can't seem to trigger the hard reset feature.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well here my story, had my cyan 920 and was in the car using Nokia drive while listing to Xbox music, after I arrived at the destination, I paused the music and made a phone call. Then my phone got stuck in an endless loop of the music controls on the screen. If I using the back button to exit out, it would just keep exiting Xbox music indefinitely. Volume got reset to zero, and it couldn't get adjusted and the power key did not work. I tried doing a soft reset but it wouldn't work. I tried a hard reset, nothing. The home key functioned so I use the settings to do a reset. That bricked the phone. Endless loop of the AT&T logo and off. If I kept doing the hard reset keys and was plugged in it would then get to the exclamation point. Then I tried the is reset keys, volume up, down, power, down and nothing. But if it tried the hard reset again I got to the spinning gears. I then tried to do a restore and had the same problem I originally had, no volume,music controls on top of screen, back button and power button don't work. So I repeated the whole process, and did not do a restore but a clean reset, and same issue. I'm stuck with a phone I can't use. I'm headed to the AT&T store now...

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried to restore my phone so that I can return it (to buy the cyan from the MS store with protection plan) and I had the same thing happen...

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Here's how my phone got bricked. Plugged my headphones in to listen to some music this morning. When I removed the headphones there was no sound and got a strange music controls popup. Did a soft reset, still no sound. Decided to try a hard reset and got stuck at the two gears for two hours. Tried to reset again and now stuck at Nokia logo. If I try any key combinations it just bootloops to the Nokia screen.

I emailed stephen.elop@nokia.com and got a response within 15 minutes that I would be hearing from his team. Just waiting for further contact. I'll update if I learn more.

Want to add that this is my second Lumia 920 - matte black. The first phone I returned because it had strange striations and discoloration on the body of the phone, and the camera housing started coming up from the body of the phone, causing a lip where the housing met the phone.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
YyUpdate to my saga, went to AT&T, they confirmed it was bricked. Since I was within 14 days they processed it as a return, but they had to order a cyan one since they don't have it in stock. 10-14 day back order, and they refused to give me a phone to use in the meantime. I sold my old phone, so now I have nothing for two weeks. I am beyond pissed t AT&T. I asked if I could buy another phone at full price and return it but they wouldn't waive the $35 restocking fee. I was pissed on the principal, that they would leave a longtime customer phoneless for two weeks and provide no options for me. I probably will end up buying and returning as I have no choice... Now what happens if my new phone bricks? I'm scared to play music thru the headphone jack.

Johannes Michel

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Here's how my phone got bricked. Plugged my headphones in to listen to some music this morning. When I removed the headphones there was no sound and got a strange music controls popup. Did a soft reset, still no sound. Decided to try a hard reset and got stuck at the two gears for two hours. Tried to reset again and now stuck at Nokia logo. If I try any key combinations it just bootloops to the Nokia screen.

I emailed stephen.elop@nokia.com and got a response within 15 minutes that I would be hearing from his team. Just waiting for further contact. I'll update if I learn more.

Want to add that this is my second Lumia 920 - matte black. The first phone I returned because it had strange striations and discoloration on the body of the phone, and the camera housing started coming up from the body of the phone, causing a lip where the housing met the phone.

Email comes back with Postmaster Notify.

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.1.1 <stephen.elog@nokia.com>... User unknown

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
All of you trying the volume down+power button combo, have you tried volume down+camera+power button? That's how I factory reset my second 920. That was the only way to bring up the ! Screen. Then press volume up, volume down, power, and volume down. It went to the spinning gears screen for a few minutes and then booted up.

itxjobe

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is a video I did with instructions in the description on how to fix it, my 920 is AT&T but if you know the model you need for the firmware you can just change that portion of the instructions to suit your needs. I posted a new thread with the fix but I guess it needs to be approved by the moderators before it is made available. Hope it helps others, go to Youtube to grab the instructions out of my Description until the thread is posted. Also I have tested this 3 different times, no matter the flash I was able to brick the device by using the reset option in the software. I recommend no one uses this.

Here is the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

Last edited:

Frantics

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is a video I did with instructions in the description on how to fix it, my 920 is AT&T but if you know the model you need for the firmware you can just change that portion of the instructions to suit your needs. I posted a new thread with the fix but I guess it needs to be approved by the moderators before it is made available. Hope it helps others, go to Youtube to grab the instructions out of my Description until the thread is posted. Also I have tested this 3 different times, no matter the flash I was able to brick the device by using the reset option in the software. I recommend no one uses this.

Here is the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tU4oRkyAs

Exactly what I was searching for last week, the AT&T ROMs. So they're finally here. But I won't flash now since my new unit is working fine. But knowing the ROMs are available will definitely give me peace of mind.

Thanks for the info, man.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine white Nokia 920 (ATT) bricked today after a reset try. I was plagued by email sync issues being caused by Skype. Heading to the ATT store to get a replacement. I will ask them to reset in the store..if that one bricks man, I may just move to an HTC 8x. I really dont want to go the iPhone 5 route...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss