NFC payments not supported on AT&T?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So, one of the main features of this phone I was looking forward to was making NFC payments with the wallet. And now I find out AT&T won't support this feature. Was this not known in advance? Will this be coming soon? Did we even get secure micro SIM cards?

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe AT&T's secure Sims will be here until sometime in 2013. It is definitely disappointing that the NFC wallet can't work independently of a sim.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
NFC payments are currently not supported on AT&T unless you are in the limited test area that is doing testing with the ISIS payment system (which Windows Phone does not currently support).

Unless you are in one of those areas, you won't be able to acquire a secure SIM to conduct payments with your phone.

AT&T has not announced anything regarding NFC payments on Windows Phone, but Microsoft did mention that they are working to bring ISIS compatibility to Windows Phone 8, which means that eventually we'll be able to use it in conjunction with AT&T's ISIS payment system.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
NFC payments are currently not supported on AT&T unless you are in the limited test area that is doing testing with the ISIS payment system (which Windows Phone does not currently support).

Unless you are in one of those areas, you won't be able to acquire a secure SIM to conduct payments with your phone.

AT&T has not announced anything regarding NFC payments on Windows Phone, but Microsoft did mention that they are working to bring ISIS compatibility to Windows Phone 8, which means that eventually we'll be able to use it in conjunction with AT&T's ISIS payment system.

Sounds like that is not NFC though, kind of disappointing.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like that is not NFC though, kind of disappointing.

It is using NFC, but ISIS itself is a joint operation between most major carriers. ISIS uses NFC to conduct payments, either through its own cards, or facilitates payments using your existing credit cards.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
This is terrible. This was the #1 feature I wanted in WP8. I am disappointed in AT&T. Just wow.

It's coming. Like was mentioned AT&T is trying to do it through first party means for both security and legal reasons. It's not just AT&T. Verizon and T-Mobile will also be using ISIS I believe.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It is using NFC, but ISIS itself is a joint operation between most major carriers. ISIS uses NFC to conduct payments, either through its own cards, or facilitates payments using your existing credit cards.

Does that mean ISIS replaces the wallet app? Or is ISIS something that isn't visible to the end user?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean ISIS replaces the wallet app? Or is ISIS something that isn't visible to the end user?

The wallet app isn't an NFC app. It's just used to store payment information. Like all of your credit cards.

Were we ever told Wallet was meant to be used for NFC?

Fogo

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Just as an update, I live in Salt Lake City, which is one of the test areas. I just got home from my AT&T store with my Lumia 920, and they weren't able to get NFC payments enabled on my phone. I now have a secure SIM that should enable the ISIS payments, but it's just not working. Staff there basically just told me I was out of luck, and I'd have to wait and see if AT&T enables it for WP8, or, I could swap to an Android device, which for me, is not an option.

Not sure if what they said was true or not, but so far, I've got no NFC payment love going on. :(

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
During the keynote presentation of wp8 it was said that you need a special sim card that encrypts your payments and makes it easier to transfer your payment info if you switch phones. While Verizon is the only carrier that supports it as of right now, att and others will have it sometime in 2013. I believe att will be in early 2013. Now, this may be disappointing but they did point out during the presentation that this is a safer way to do NFC payments because 1) your credit card info is not stored on the phone like android 2) more companies are willing to offer NFC using this method because it is safer and easier to implement. So although it might be disappointing right now, it is something that will be coming shortly as opposed to android who's has support for it for a while now since its unsafe, it hasn't been implemented by anyone yet.

Dorfgh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe they don't support NFC with ATT yet. I have a secure element SIM. How do I get Att to enable it in the system so I can use the wallet app?:mad:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You are at ground zero. Keep pushing the carrier by phone, email to start supporting WP8 ISIS in your area. The more it is pushed, the faster it will be implemented and the rest of us who don't live in the ISIS area will benefit later on.

I only carry my credit cards and my drivers license. I look forward to the day when I only have to carry my phone.

tigermcm

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon and the option to turn on NFC payments is not available on both the 8X and 822. I looked on windowsphone.com supposedly in the setting+pin area there is an aoption to turn on payments via NFC, well its not there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs