[Poll]Black Lumia 920s -- Heat & Battery Life Definite Issue

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed mine get warm at all through regular use (lots of dicking around with the settings, reading email, facebook, a few minutes of netflix and downloading apps), but I have noticed the battery life is WAY worse than my iphone 4 :(

about three hours after a 100% charge and its at 69%... matte black nl920

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
has anyone used their mac to charge their 920? I tried using my MBA to charge it tonight and after an hour it barely moved 5 %. 5-6 hours after a 100% charge, I hope after a few days that changes.

curdog

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I pulled it off the charger earlier at full charge, & it was dead 2 hrs later after being on the phone the whole time with screen off & in a good signal area. Top of the phone by my ear also very hot. The previous charge with light to normal use only lasted ~ 5 hrs. Nokia drive was the only background process enabled, but I wasn't using nav.

One reason I bought it was my previous WP got excellent battery life, & my 920 is aweful. WP8 so far seems like a less-polished WP7. Not impressed.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I pulled it off the charger earlier at full charge, & it was dead 2 hrs later after being on the phone the whole time with screen off & in a good signal area. Top of the phone by my ear also very hot. The previous charge with light to normal use only lasted ~ 5 hrs. Nokia drive was the only background process enabled, but I wasn't using nav.

One reason I bought it was my previous WP got excellent battery life, & my 920 is aweful. WP8 so far seems like a less-polished WP7. Not impressed.

if you don't end the Nokia drive routing, but just exit the program after using it, it will continue to actively "route" your path. This could kill battery faster than normal, I suppose

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia drive was the only background process enabled, but I wasn't using nav.

What did you mean exactly by this statement? Was nokia drive open and in the background? If so..it was probably actively running both your gps and data connection...that would chew through your battery fairly quickly and account for the hot spots on the phone. You have to actively close out Drive after you are done using it since it is allowed to run in the background fully active.

curdog

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
What did you mean exactly by this statement? Was nokia drive open and in the background? If so..it was probably actively running both your gps and data connection...that would chew through your battery fairly quickly and account for the hot spots on the phone. You have to actively close out Drive after you are done using it since it is allowed to run in the background fully active.

Nokia drive was "enabled" in the background tasks / battery menu, but did not open or use drive or nokia maps (made sure they were completely closed - it's enabled even after reboot). The 2hr batt life while on the phone was after a reboot with nothing else open.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia drive was "enabled" in the background tasks / battery menu, but did not open or use drive or nokia maps (made sure they were completely closed - it's enabled even after reboot). The 2hr batt life while on the phone was after a reboot with nothing else open.

ah ok...thanks for the clarification :)

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Why would they be? It's just a different colored piece of plastic. I guarantee it's the same factory and same shipment of batteries.

Some manufacturing processes will make the products in colour batches (or other differentiators) so there could well be differing batches even different manufacturers' batteries in different coloured phones.

anon(5348929)

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a black Lumia 920. A few days ago I had a power drain of about 15% per hour and the device was warm on the back even when in standby. After rebooting the device, everything went back to normal and it didn't happen again since then.

Now battery life is only a little worse than my HTC Radar, but with the Lumia having the brighter screen (Radar is pretty dark when using auto brightness). After a full day I have still about 30% left. And yes, battery life got better after a few days (and charge cycles).

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I got a red one that gets hot and the battery seems like it drains super fast!! Since Friday I have discharged it a full 3 times and charged back to 100!! Hopefully it is a break in thing but I don't ever remember my 900 nor my focus being this way!

Please read this link: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Basically, in a nutshell, regularly completely draining a lithium battery kills it faster.

That being said, I can't believe Nokia still hasn't got their battery sh?t worked out yet... Hope I get a good one.

torresa

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I didn't time it, but my phone seemed to not stay charged long yesterday. Last night I ran the battery down all the way down til it shut off and charged it all night. This morning it is back to 100% and using the battery app it says that I have 7 hours 58 minutes and 100%. This means if I don't charge my phone at work it will be dead by the time I go home. If that is the case, this phone is going back. :(

kuroneko0509

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
At first my Lumia 920 drains its battery fast, but after several charges I think the battery works normally now. So, be patience and charge the phone for a while and don't let the battery fully discharge too often.

sinistar25

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
My black 920 takes forever to charge and also gets very very warm. My old iphone4 charges like 4 times faster. I realize this has a larger battery, but damn. May exchange in few days.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a week (black version) and while I generally dislike WP8 and will be selling it for other reasons, the battery has been awesome. I had about 50% left every day with 14-hour days.

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a black matte L920 at my local ATT store yesterday afternoon, and I am really starting to like this phone more than the iPhone 4 it replaced.

However I am having the occasional Heat issue also, certain apps will trigger it and ocassionally it will overheat during phone calls as well.

Battery life has also been dissapointing....

But will be keeping my phone, as these problems CAN easily be fixed with a firmware update. Lets just hope Nokia is paying attention to these posts.

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I didn't time it, but my phone seemed to not stay charged long yesterday. Last night I ran the battery down all the way down til it shut off and charged it all night. This morning it is back to 100% and using the battery app it says that I have 7 hours 58 minutes and 100%. This means if I don't charge my phone at work it will be dead by the time I go home. If that is the case, this phone is going back. :(

Hmm, just got mine yesterday. Let it completely drain. Woke up this morning with a full battery and using the Battery Level app and the built-in batter saver (under settings) they say I have 1 day,15 hrs left. Definitely think you have a bad unit.

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I really really hope I don't have a defective unit.:(

I wonder if I'm noticing the heat issue more because this is first phone I'm using without a case and its my first dual core phone. Also its the honeymoon period and I'm using/downloading way more stuff than usual. Crossing my fingers...

torresa

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, just got mine yesterday. Let it completely drain. Woke up this morning with a full battery and using the Battery Level app and the built-in batter saver (under settings) they say I have 1 day,15 hrs left. Definitely think you have a bad unit.

Ok, just looked at it and it said 97% 3 days 22 hours 59 min.... After browsing the web to get to this page and re checking it... 94% 3days 19 hours 4 minutes

whitelightning_sam

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I only have a sample size of two phones, so I thought I'd get a larger set of data by asking everyone here what their experiences have been. I have a matte black Lumia 920, my wife has a glossy red Lumia 920. Both purchased yesterday. Mine lasts about half a day, if that, on a single charge and gets considerably warmer--the point of nearly being "hot"--than the red model, which seems to have a MUCH superior battery life and doesn't get warm at all.

So, is this a fixable firmware issue or something that should merit a return and exchange? I will say that this happened to me with my first Lumia 900 too--I had a black one that got too hot and drained its battery. This should NOT be happening, so I don't think it's anything that Nokia meant to have happen.

Please answer in the poll below whether you have a black phone and if its getting hot with noticeably decreased battery life. Thanks!
I picked up a black 920 on the 9th. The top of the phone (on the back) is running warmer than the bottom. The battery drains very rapidly - need to charge twice a day! It also takes forever to charge.

I think I should test it a day or two more before taking it back to the store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb