[Poll]Black Lumia 920s -- Heat & Battery Life Definite Issue

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed similarly poor battery life (about five hours) for the past couple of days that I've owned my red 920. I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt because I've been downloading tons of apps and podcasts over 4G. The phone does get hot, but not too hot to touch. I'll see how it processes over the next week before looking to replace it.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Found out what the battery issue was. NOKIA DRIVE+.......ugh it doesn't close unless you force close it. I kind of miss not having to manually close anything, this isn't android!!!!!

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Found out what the battery issue was. NOKIA DRIVE+.......ugh it doesn't close unless you force close it. I kind of miss not having to manually close anything, this isn't android!!!!!

It's been mentioned dozens of times now on this forum and several times in this thread...

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

it runs in the background, it's a feature so that you can set your destination and then play music or whatever and the app continues to follow your route give directions without being the app on top.

e24mpwr

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Useful thread - I've also see about 5 hours, so I just blocked the Nokia Dive app. Will see if it helps tomorrow.

I assume I'll need to unblock it if I want it to navigate in the background when I AM using it?

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Useful thread - I've also see about 5 hours, so I just blocked the Nokia Dive app. Will see if it helps tomorrow.

I assume I'll need to unblock it if I want it to navigate in the background when I AM using it?

To clarify, even with it blocked as long as the app is open it will work normally.

However, with it blocked it will not work in the background when you open a 2nd app (at least this is how I understand it).

Personally I don't see myself ever using the Nokia Drive App and another app at the same time. Actually, I never really use voice-navigation anyway, it's easier to memorize the directions from something like bing maps on my PC and then just drive there without relying on my phone. :)

curdog

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Count mine as one that seems to be fixed by blocking nokia drive. Unplugged it before going to sleep last night just to test it on idle & woke up to ~97%. It's since lasted most of the day with moderate use, ~ 40% left at 5pm. Not stellar, but I'll be happy with it if stays like this. Yesterday I thought I'd just bought another evo4g.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cyan 920 Heating and Battery Drain, even while plugged in!

Got my Cyan 920 on Friday. Immediately had overheating issue while syncing email during first setup. Got super hot at the top, battery drained very quickly. I had turned on Nokia Drive Beta + for just a minute to check it out then didn't use it again. No more heat or battery issues until tonight when I plugged it into my computer to move some video files onto my computer through the file explorer. Phone got very hot at the top and actually started losing battery life even though it showed to be charging (plugged into my laptop). I did not have any apps running intensive processes or syncing/uploading going. I turned off background services for Nokia Drive Beta + (though I hadn't opened it since that initial opening to check it out) then I turned it off and back on and it stopped the overheating and it began to cool. But then I couldn't connect to phone or internet services even though it showed 4 bars of LTE. Turned it off and on again and everything seemed to be working fine, then it began heating up again. Just removed it from my laptop and it is now plugged into the wall charger that came in the phone box (USB). This is unacceptable for a new phone. I had been using a Black Nokia Lumia 900 for several months before upgrading and using Nokia Drive frequently. Nokia needs to release a fix ASAP. I put in a ticket to customer support and will update when they email back.

**And the GPS icon is rarely on as I've RARELY used any mapping, GPS features since I've owned the 920 so I'm thinking there are more issues than GPS running secretly.

Last edited:

xflier

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
today, when I was playing with ebay on my phone, my 920 is really hot and lost a lot of battery power. I found WP8 has a icon on the top when GPS is activated, which indicates GPS was running somehow. it looks like it caused by some unknown app which is using GPS. Need to find out what app is using GPS ( I blocked NOkia Drive + background process already ).

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having horrible problems with my red 920. Battery depletes super fast, had it fully charged before I went to bed, woke up about 6 hours later with it at 20% (pic here https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=37B1BCB2B0365031!243&authkey=!AMbvn98uD4rypC8 ). Same thing today, left the house with 50% power, within 3 hours I was at battery critical. Phone also gets hot real quick as well, and I also suffer from a shaky vibrate motor. I love the phone, but these things are killing it for me, as much as I love the phone, I can't make this my daily driver if it's going to be like this. I'm still trying to decide if when I exchange it I want to get a blue or another red, so I'm going to tough it out the next few days. and make sure I have nokia drive totally off.

And perhaps this may be part of the problem, this is what I saw in battery saver when I first unboxed the phone.

550690_10152250589115626_1648150162_n.jpg

msechea

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done any standardized testing when it comes to the battery draining, but I purchased a black 920 over the weekend (my wife got a white one), and have been having issues with battery life and heat as well. Like very warm, almost hot to the touch on the back near the camera and on the screen. That was under heavy operation, downloading and setting up the phone. Still, I do not think that that's top-notch engineering, as a device should never get that hot.

Since 1/3 of the people polling said that there 920s are fine, I will be exchanging mine today for another unit. If I get the same behavior, I will be returning the 920 indefinitely. I don't think that as consumers, that we should be compensating here. It's more of a mental drain than anything to have your phone on the verge of dying or losing battery constantly, because in this day and age a lot of our livelihood exists in that little piece of technology. Why should I have the screen at the lowest brightness all the time, no background tasks running, no bluetooth, no tap and send, no location on just to get through the day? I don't want to have to think about these things, and that's what makes me miss how most Apple devices are: not having to worry about battery life or toggling settings to making the percentage higher, or battery saver modes, it just worked well and worked long enough.

I'm not sure if this is a color issue or just a phone issue, because my wife's white one has been having better performance than mine (but there are others on here reporting similar problems with other colors as well).

Sebastee

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Battery Draning Rapidly

Will look into the Nokia Drive fix. So far out of the box first day off of full 100% charge phone shut down by 3pm. My day started picking it off the plate at 8am. So 7 hours. Barely used it. Today same issue. Checked in morning at 100% charge battery said i have 2 days and 7+ hours left on the charge. At 12:45 after just reading few emails and updating contact info for 2 people phone was at 52%. That's ridiculous. I actualy like this phone, the way it looks and the OS is something new and quite cool. I hope this gets resolved since don't feel like returning it. I don't see any other phone on the market that i like, but battery needs to hold a charge otherwise its a paperweight.

I also read that the battery life between the US version and Euro one is totally different. Due to ATT installing all their garbage on the phone the reduction is quite significant. 400h standby for the euro version down to 320hr for the ATT phone. Personally i feel that ATT should give people a choice whether they want their junk apps on the phone or not. Hoping that some firmware will fix this otherwise may need to return this back to ATT in next week.

mrbrettw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issues the first few days, never hot but always warm and the battery drained fast. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 9 AM, By 6PM it was fully discharged with moderate use throughout the day, pretty crappy battery life. This morning I blocked all background services and took it off the charger around 9 AM. It is now close to 9 PM and I have 65% percent of my battery life left and I've used it much more than yesterday's moderate use. SOOO much better! Phone is cool to the touch and not warm anymore.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issues the first few days, never hot but always warm and the battery drained fast. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 9 AM, By 6PM it was fully discharged with moderate use throughout the day, pretty crappy battery life. This morning I blocked all background services and took it off the charger around 9 AM. It is now close to 9 PM and I have 65% percent of my battery life left and I've used it much more than yesterday's moderate use. SOOO much better! Phone is cool to the touch and not warm anymore.

My phone had overheating and subsequent battery discharge happen twice. Since then it's acted pretty normal. Several hour long phone calls, BT xbox music streaming, lots of incoming and outgoing email, some web use, linking profiles in the people hub... got me through all of that from 7:30am to 8pm before it died. i qualify that as decent, a lot better than it was. hopefully it will get even better with an update.

Sebastee

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Few issues might be causing this. Had the phone for 5 days and battery drain a real problem. After disabling every singe background process. Battery seemed to stabilize. Its not just Nokia Drive tho. Seems like problem might be more complex. After having only Linkedin as a background process, battery was draining super fast as well so thought some apps might be causing the issue. Last night charged the phone on charging plate. Was at 100% took it off the charger and placed it being on standby mode over night. Something totally whack with the battery indicator because to my surprise woke up 7 hours later with battery showing at 100% - definitely unlikely - and showing at 22hr left. Ok getting very inconsistent results from usage. I also suspect the plate charger as not being adequate at fully charging. I charged the phone once through direct connect wiring. Maybe it needs battery to be cycled few more times. The time i actually charged the battery through hard wire. I had the phone at 65% at 11pm after taking it off charger at 8am. Used it that day moderately, 2 10 minute calls, Checked about 15 emails. Downloaded 3 apps. So was actually great performance. Over-all more testing needed. Next few days i'll charge it through the wire and will drain it through heavy use. Hoping its really just a charge cycle issue, but definitely things running in background that overheat the phone as well so hoping for an update asap. This is a very poor start for Windows and Nokia. Most consumers would just return the phone back to the store and say its broken. This is inexcusable with so many choices of great phones out there.

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Update: My battery life issues have been steadily improving after performing a Factory Reset.
After the reset completed reloaded my apps from backup, disabled NFC and Blocked Nokia Drive from running in the background.
As of today, battery was at 72% after sitting idle in my car for 8 hours.
And overheating issues have also disappeared.

I really like the L920 and am not going back to my iPhone 4.

Lets hope the WP8.1 update will be released early next year... L920 is almost perfect, just needs some minor tweaks. 😊

Shane

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Putting my two cents in. This issue has nothing to do with Nokia Drive and everything to do with LTE. I have blocked all of the background tasks I can, I ran the battery down yesterday until it shut itself off, and fully charged the phone. I am in a location where I have LTE and WiFi. The phone phone is set to automatically connect to the WiFi access point. After the phone was fully charged, I used it as I normally would. No battery drain issues, no heat issues. This morning I had 47% battery left. Decided to give it a go turning off WiFi. Wham! Phone immediately heats up and battery sinks like a rock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb