[Poll]Black Lumia 920s -- Heat & Battery Life Definite Issue

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I only have a sample size of two phones, so I thought I'd get a larger set of data by asking everyone here what their experiences have been. I have a matte black Lumia 920, my wife has a glossy red Lumia 920. Both purchased yesterday. Mine lasts about half a day, if that, on a single charge and gets considerably warmer--the point of nearly being "hot"--than the red model, which seems to have a MUCH superior battery life and doesn't get warm at all.

So, is this a fixable firmware issue or something that should merit a return and exchange? I will say that this happened to me with my first Lumia 900 too--I had a black one that got too hot and drained its battery. This should NOT be happening, so I don't think it's anything that Nokia meant to have happen.

Please answer in the poll below whether you have a black phone and if its getting hot with noticeably decreased battery life. Thanks!

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bit too soon to call it a problem. The batteries need a few cycle/charges to 'wear in', so to speak. If it's still not working well after a week and several recharges, then maybe it's worth exchanging at the store.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
That could certainly be the case. I hope so, because I spent a long time organizing this start screen. To be fair, my Lumia 900 had other issues--it would stop receiving texts and data and then also get really hot while burning through its battery life in an hour.

Still, I left home at 8:15 with 100% power and it's now 1:26 PM and it has 22% power. And it's not like I have been on it non-stop that whole time!

(Also, my wife's red 920 has none of these issues.)

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a black 920, my wife a white one. I haven't noticed any heat, but I was 100% at 830a, its now 5p and I'm at 16%, a bit lower than my 900 was at this time. This is with four ActiveSync accounts and a few pinned tiles with bg tasks.

justin071894

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the red model and have noticed the heat when using my data connection. My battery isn't very good. I can burn through it in about 5 hours. Hoping that its just the honeymoon effect and nothing serious! I really don't want to have to take it back.

leet414

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been experiencing the same issue with both the constant warmth and battery drain on my black Lumia 920. I have disabled all applications that might be making frequent data connections except for my work email (which didn't receive any emails today). I left my house this afternoon with 85% charge about 3 hours ago and I just got home and the battery is at 45% and all I did was take one picture. I'm going to try and wipe the device to see if that helps. Will let you guys know.

goldie_rt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
As I posted elsewhere (though regarding a white one), the batteries seem hit or miss. I never really got to see how long the charge lasted, since I couldn't reach 100%.
I will note that the replacement unit seem to not get nearly as hot as the one with battery woes, so I would say if you have any concerns, best to get it replaced under warranty.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hot when transferring a lot of data, yes. Battery seems a bit fast to drain but too early to tell with certainty. Using it a lot too.

-m

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a black Lumina 920. Mine is definitely getting pretty warm bordering on hot when playing games. My battery life seems pretty good. Took it off the charger at 7 AM and have 21 percent at 7:45 PM with moderate use.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a red one that gets hot and the battery seems like it drains super fast!! Since Friday I have discharged it a full 3 times and charged back to 100!! Hopefully it is a break in thing but I don't ever remember my 900 nor my focus being this way!

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this issue too with my new black matte one. I'm not sure if it's because i'm using it a lot, but I was upset when I pulled it off the charger and battery saver said that it was 100% but would only last 5 hours :/

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
What exactly does the phone being black have to do with anything? Color does not prevent heat dissipation...are you guys sun bathing with your phone?

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What exactly does the phone being black have to do with anything? Color does not prevent heat dissipation...are you guys sun bathing with your phone?
The actual color doesn't matter, but if the black matte's are being manufactured in a certain way that's different than the colored ones, then it could just be solely that model.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The actual color doesn't matter, but if the black matte's are being manufactured in a certain way that's different than the colored ones, then it could just be solely that model.

Why would they be? It's just a different colored piece of plastic. I guarantee it's the same factory and same shipment of batteries.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The results of the poll are themselves rather instructive. About half of the black 920s out there are either defective or need some kind of firmware update. I think it's probably too early to tell if this issue is a real issue or just something that will work itself out. I'll give my phone about a week, and if it's still getting too hot and draining power quickly after I start using it with a more normal usage pattern, I'll just exchange it. I will be saving my Invisishield until I'm sure though!

Sonofdex

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Regarding heat concerns... try charging via USB through a computer or other device and compare it to AC-to-USB adapter... I've noticed that when I charge mine through my computer instead of my power strip that it does not heat up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb