My 920's audio/speakers are terrible?

kantFTW

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok so today I finally noticed dust in my camera so I returned. Same sound crackle. It is super subtle but still there again. Meh. This stores displays all crackled. OP and all affected, we just have good ears. I'm convinced. Even the friend who claimed his was perfect finally came over and it did it.

Oh I also notice after a reset it takes a lot of chimes before it starts the glitch. Meh. Not the worst problem but I'm convinced its not hardware.

Mine was working fine all day, then tonight it started up again. I tested the white one, and it's doing it, also.

It definitely seems like it's software not hardware, because all of the ones at my local at&t store do it, also.

Otherwise, everything with the phone is fantastic. I hope we see a fix for this soon, but I'd rather live with my audio sometimes crackling than being told I can't hold my phone a certain way without losing signal. :p

Leonardo Acquisti

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I contacted technical support nokia in Italy.
They called me and told me that the problems reported will be resolved with a software update in the coming months!

I assume that they refer to the same update that will solve the random reboot.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Did you happen to ever own a Lumia 800? Since the volume levels from 1 to 10 are more than enough :p

Nope, only the Lumia 900. I just compared it again, and even 1/30 on the Lumia 900 is "loud" compared to the Lumia 920. With the TV on in the same room at a moderate volume level, with the phone in my hand, I can still hear the Lumia 900's ringtone at 1/30, while 1/30 on the 920 might as well be zero. Even 10/30 on the 920 sounds quieter than 1/30 on the 900!

It seems like Nokia adjusted the volume--while the Lumia 900 even at low volumes was still loud, the Lumia 920 is actually quiet at low volumes, a little too quiet in my opinion. But what's annoying is while it seems Nokia adjusted the volume of the ringtones and notifications, the volume of certain things has seemed to stay the same. For example, I usually leave the volume level at 20 so I can hear the ringtone, but at that volume, the keypad tone when you're dialing a phone number is too loud compared to the volume of the ringtone. Something else I noticed: The speakerphone on the Lumia 920 seems to be quieter compared to the Lumia 900, but again, the keypad tone with the speakerphone on is insanely loud. So on the 920, the speakerphone on 10/10 is too quiet for me, but at the same time the keypad sounds are too loud. On the Lumia 900, the speakerphone on 10/10 is plenty loud, and the keypad tones are pretty quiet.

Lastly, I'm still having the crackle/pop problem again. Sometimes it happens with ringtones or notifications, usually when dialing a number, and also with the keyboard sounds when I'm typing a lot. I tried multiple hard resets, reflashed the ROM in Nokia Care Suite and it still happens. Seems like a software problem to me.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Nope, only the Lumia 900. I just compared it again, and even 1/30 on the Lumia 900 is "loud" compared to the Lumia 920. With the TV on in the same room at a moderate volume level, with the phone in my hand, I can still hear the Lumia 900's ringtone at 1/30, while 1/30 on the 920 might as well be zero. Even 10/30 on the 920 sounds quieter than 1/30 on the 900!

It seems like Nokia adjusted the volume--while the Lumia 900 even at low volumes was still loud, the Lumia 920 is actually quiet at low volumes, a little too quiet in my opinion. But what's annoying is while it seems Nokia adjusted the volume of the ringtones and notifications, the volume of certain things has seemed to stay the same. For example, I usually leave the volume level at 20 so I can hear the ringtone, but at that volume, the keypad tone when you're dialing a phone number is too loud compared to the volume of the ringtone. Something else I noticed: The speakerphone on the Lumia 920 seems to be quieter compared to the Lumia 900, but again, the keypad tone with the speakerphone on is insanely loud. So on the 920, the speakerphone on 10/10 is too quiet for me, but at the same time the keypad sounds are too loud. On the Lumia 900, the speakerphone on 10/10 is plenty loud, and the keypad tones are pretty quiet.

Lastly, I'm still having the crackle/pop problem again. Sometimes it happens with ringtones or notifications, usually when dialing a number, and also with the keyboard sounds when I'm typing a lot. I tried multiple hard resets, reflashed the ROM in Nokia Care Suite and it still happens. Seems like a software problem to me.
+1

leokat1002

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a lumia 822 and it does the same exact thing, exchanged it only for it to do the same thing of course. Pretty lame, i'm not very techy, a software update would fix a sound malfunction?

Leonardo Acquisti

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a lumia 822 and it does the same exact thing, exchanged it only for it to do the same thing of course. Pretty lame, i'm not very techy, a software update would fix a sound malfunction?

Hi,
a software update it CAN fix a sound malfunction!
Audio files are decoded via software and instead of dedicated hardware chipset.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just to let you guys know. Just updated my ATT Lumia 920 with the Portico OTA update and it fixed the sound for me! So relieved right now. I can actually turn my ringer on now. There are numerous other fixes as well. If you haven't yet, go into settings/phone update/ and grab it.

leokat1002

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you guys know. Just updated my ATT Lumia 920 with the Portico OTA update and it fixed the sound for me! So relieved right now. I can actually turn my ringer on now. There are numerous other fixes as well. If you haven't yet, go into settings/phone update/ and grab it.

...so when do us slogs with the 822 get this update....?

Anna Yates

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
My volume on a new European 920 was far too low. I think it's because Nokia has to set the volume to EU regs for all music players to prevent hearing damage (I have had this problem with other MP3 players aswell). Soft reset (volume button + power button held down for 10secs) fixed it instantly.

Mutumba Sowed

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The entire audio system is a mess. I wonder what those Dolby engineers who were called in to code the audio were doing. It s the worst sounding device I have ever had. All other windows phones sound better. Nokia better re write those sound algorithms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre