Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am also experiencing Bluetooth issues. The one that is consistent is that when a song is done it cuts out the audio connection and then will not play the next song at all. Sometimes if I press play/pause a few times it will start playing again, but usually I have to disconnect the device and reconnect. This is happening in both the Music player and Nokia Music. Whats weird is if I change the song manually it will work without issue, it is only if the song ends and the next song plays automatically. Is anyone else having this issue?? I know its not my receiver because my iPhone works without issue.

Hmm, I haven't noticed that. But the one thing I did notice is the 920 does not sent song info to car stereo like my Focus S did. Not sure why.

Mike20PR

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
?Poor sounding speakers at high volume (L900 was clearer)
?Battery drains fast (Disabled Drive app and will test tommorow and report back)
?That annoying rattle when it vibrates

Other than that im absolutely in love with my L920. I dunno if what i mentioned is widespread or if i need a replacement

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Local traffic missing

I'm in Los Angeles and get no local traffic info on Nokia Maps. Only Freeway and Highway traffic shows up.

I used to get local traffic fine on my wp7 device.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Too much black space on top of home screen

There is too much padding on the top of the home screen between the clock and the first tiles.

When you press the windows button to go to the home screen, there is a lot of useless space between the info bar/clock and the top of the first row of tiles. It should by default be half a small tile higher.

ganks

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's one I haven't seen posted that I can replicate, actually my 6 year old found it.

- Kid's corner, occasionally will require a password to open. When I swipe to the left and get kids corner and swipe up to open it, it will force the password. My Exchange server requires pin unlock to open the phone, but not for Kid's Corner but occasionally it forces the pin. I was looking forward to this feature as my 6 year old over the past 2 years has accidentally entered the wrong password and erased my phone (something I wish was going to be fixed).

- Bluetooth - my phone paired with my 2010 MDX fine but the audio quality was low volume on phone calls Friday and the bluetooth streaming was making weird popping noises playing music. I have downloaded music to the phone today to test audio quality tomorrow with music that is stored on the phone vs. streaming over LTE while driving (I've had this since my 900 and it will never get old).

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I thought we all knew and still know that Nokia unlike HTC is not an expect in smartphone makings. Anyways just give them time and maybe these problems will be fixed. Still waiting for my HTC 8X ;-)

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
In monitoring some of the problems and complaints people have had with their Lumia 920 (every new smartphone has some issues at launch) I figured I'd put together a checklist of things to test for as well as possible solutions, so that we'll know whether to keep the Lumia 920 we bought or exchange it for another while we can.

Battery drain
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.

Dust under screen
Only read of one such complaint. My guess is this is a one-off. If this is an issue the only solution is to exchange your handset.

Freezes/restarts
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.

Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

Vibration rattle
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.

Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.

Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.

Daytime photos
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.

Bluetooth pairing
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.

Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week).
Saw the title and thought this thread was going to be another WP hate-on post. But your post is very helpful and complete. It will give me things to check when my 920 gets here on Tuesday. Thank you

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Saw the title and thought this thread was going to be another WP hate-on post. But your post is very helpful and complete. It will give me things to check when my 920 gets here on Tuesday. Thank you

Heavens no (re: hating). I'm a diehard WP and Nokia fan (they earned my allegiance). I've also followed the smartphone game long enough to know that there isn't a single major launch that goes off without some type of hitch. Glad I could help... all I really did was compile the work that others did.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a weird issue earlier today where IE wouldn't display any web pages. The progress bar above the address box would move across and disappear like it normally does, but all I got was a white browser screen. Scrolling around didn't do anything to fix it.

I turned the phone off and back on and it fixed it, and it hasn't happened again. Weird.

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
Would be interested in seeing a similar bug/issue list for WP8 --- for example:

- Messages supports Facebook but not Facebook Group
- Skype not yet integrate to "Share" option (can share status updates to Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter)
- No check in capability for Foursquare (not a bug but would be a desirably feature)

And I'm only talking about the native features that MSFT has built-in -- fully acknowledging that there are workarounds for all of the above.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a serious issue I have not yet seen yet. As of a few hours ago, it seems my 920 activates the proximity sensor whenever I make or accept a call, regardless whether I have the phone close to my head or not.

I cannot actively end a phone call because my screen is locked and black.

I've managed to hit the "end call" button in a 1/4 or 1/2 split second when it appears if I press the power/screen lock button twice in a row, but it's very touch and go.

Has anyone else had anything like this?? I'm really really annoyed.

Nightshde

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got a red 920 and haven't had any of the issues listed here, I don't even have the vibration rattle everyone seems to be talking about. Only thing I haven't tried out is pairing it to my car but I'm sure there won't be any problems with that.

GlennEdwards

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have issues with "Cut The Rope". Works fine on my old WP7 device, however if I launch the game from the games hub on my 920 it loads fine. Pin it to a tile on the start screen, and launch it from there. It doesn't work correctly, and on loading you get a strange rainbow coloured rectange in the top left of the screen with a progress bar displayed.

Then you get a black screen, and can hear the music in the background. You can even press invisible buttons.

Also after launching the game from a live tile, you get intermittent issues with the display of the live tile on the start screen. I had it where my 920 showed a blank gap where they tile used to be. In fact the tile was still there, just invisible, as I could tap it to launch the game, or resize it etc.

Last edited:

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My black Lumia 920 froze up for the first time since I got it. I had it plugged in to charge overnight and when I woke up the screen was froze black with the Nokia logo. The three buttons on the bottom were also froze lit up. I had to hard reset the phone. Seems ok now but it definitely has me worried. Everything has been awesome with this phone up until now.

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
In monitoring some of the problems and complaints people have had with their Lumia 920 (every new smartphone has some issues at launch) I figured I'd put together a checklist of things to test for as well as possible solutions, so that we'll know whether to keep the Lumia 920 we bought or exchange it for another while we can.

Battery drain
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.

Dust under screen
Only read of one such complaint. My guess is this is a one-off. If this is an issue the only solution is to exchange your handset.

Freezes/restarts
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.

Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

Vibration rattle
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.

Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.

Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.

Daytime photos
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.

Bluetooth pairing
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.

Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week).
Bluetooth:

If you turn off the bluetooth device -- in my case Jam Box -- the sound will not play through your Nokia 920 for whatever source was playing at the time.

You will have to skip to another song/podcast and then go back to the one you were listening too.

When you reply to an incoming SMS via bluetooth the stream is broken if you're listening to audio (in my case podcast). Simply receiving an SMS or message and having the 920 announce it (but you don't reply by audio) seems fine.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey hasasimo, could you add a note or something in your original post for people to not quote it? There's no reason for people to, it's already happened a few times, and if it keeps happening it's going to make pages stupid long.

Reactions: DaveGx

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any problems playing audio through an audio cable to your car stereo? I tried this the other night, sometimes it was okay, sometimes I got this loud annoying tone or buzz sound.

These freeze ups are starting to get worrisome. Ive had 2 last night, and 1 this morning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion