Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, using my phone in the living room with the light off is exposing a couple issues. On the top of the phone on the opposite ride of the sim tray, an area the size of the sim tray is a different shade of black. Never noticed it before but now it stands out like a sore thumb! I'll be going tomorrow to switch this out for a white one.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I can confirm I have the same issue. (Black)

I think it may be heat related as that's where the heat is focused when I use the phone for long periods of time or when I have Nokia drive running.

Looks like it can be rubbed off though (with a little elbow grease). Considering this particular finish I'm not surprised there are slight discolorations at any given time.

Considering my phone also has a distortion issue with the earpiece already, I'm probably going to swap it out once my store has them back in stock.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
most of these appear to be software related. This is most people's first attempt at Windows Phone 8 and it may differ slightly on small things from Windows Phone 7.5.

Right now we are all basically using a new/patchless OS. It can only improve from here.

theecosystem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
one issue i had that hasn't been reported yet is that the power button on mine really loosened up and became far less responsive. as it is now, it really matters how you push it for it to work. you have to hit it right in the middle. up or down from that and it won't click. my replacement is on the way. hopefully i don't switched out one problem for another!

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to the store to exchange my phone today due to dust building up under the screen and the nasty rattle. I have the matt black version.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't get a good feeling about hearing something move inside the phone when you shake it

Umm, shouldn't you hear it. The vibration element I mean if you shake your phone. I think you should? Of course if the noise is really loud, then its a bit different story I guess.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed with Bluetooth... That it pairs voice, music. When I use my Bluetooth stereo Headsets (LG HBS700's) while listening to music... a text will come in. It'll stop the music and read the text to me allowing me to respond with a voice command. After I respond... the music doesn't restart. I look at the settings and it will say "voice" instead of "voice, music." I have to turn off bluetooth, and restart it to get it to work correctly.

Slightly annoying. It worked flawlessly on my 900.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Umm, shouldn't you hear it. The vibration element I mean if you shake your phone. I think you should? Of course if the noise is really loud, then its a bit different story I guess.

Perhaps you're right. Just starting to get a little more critical and worried given these issues many people, including me, are experiencing.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Also... I could not for the life of me transfer my contacts from my Lumia 900 to my Lumia 920. They're both Nokia's... they wrote the app... but they said I couldn't pair the phones. The 920 says it's paired... the 900 gets an attitude.

Now all my contacts are stored in the cloud... but I was under the assumption that groups would transfer too.

PeterB1410

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bug

I've been having the bluetooth issues with my car as well. It paired fine but it won't automatically re-pair itself on subsequent occasions.

Another issue I'm having is inability to receive pictures through SMS (MMS). When someone sends me a photo, I get a message with "Get content now" and when I click it, it flashing between "Getting content" and quickly goes back to "Get content now" again.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Glad I waited, appears I'll wait on the 930 or whatever comes next. Gen 1 WP8 phones are apparently not for me. Keep using Titan 2 and Galaxy S3. Shoot, I may just sell the titan and go only android for a while and put the money towards a tablet.

la3z

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On my Lumia 920, I can't receive xbox live notifications. For example, when playing a multiplayer game and it's my turn, I never receive the notice. I have to manually check.
Honestly, this is one of those bugs that is a near deal breaker for me. I'm considering returning the device. The xbox live multiplayer feature was a primary selling point in my case.
Can anyone else confirm if this is a Lumia issue, WP8 issue, or just a problem with my xbox account? My brother's old WP7 device receives the notifications just fine so I know how it is intended to work.

Jason Figge

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Active Sync email service

Although at&t charges extra for accessing corporate email and blocks it if you don't pay, you should still be able to connect when using Wifi. However, the Lumia 920 has a bug that prevents you from being able to connect to some active sync exchange accounts.

Using exactly the same settings as on my Lumia 800, which works just fine, I get the following error when using my Lumia 920:

There's a problem with isa.teradata.com.
Try again later.

Last tried 11 seconds ago
Error code: 85010014.

I've tested the active sync configuration using microsoft's test site and there do appear to be some errors, but the tests can be made to work with the right settings (ignore ssl issues) and as stated before it works just fine on the lumia 800.

I also had at&t try this with both a regular (email blocked) data plan, and the enterprise data plan (email allowed). Both failed, as it does wifi.

-------------

Other issues:
Data Sense has been removed by at&t
Wifi tethering requests permission from at&t in order to be turned on (not an issue)
Skype is not available. Hopefully this is 'Coming soon' and not removed by at&t
If Lumia's are supposed to have flip to silence then it's missing on the 920
Radio has been removed on the 920
cc-1043 silicon case nowhere to be found

Arman215

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you deleted your Lumia 900 from being paired with the car. I remember reading in the 900 thread that owners had to delete their previous device from car pairing for the new device to properly pair up.

Yes, believe me, I am a Software Architect, i tried all possible ways including deleting all profiles from the car, resetting both the phone and the car. I also went to ATT store and tried with display unit, just in case if i had defective one - same results.

The 920 also doesn't work with 2012 TomTom Navigation with Bluetooth which has the ability to download the phone book and make hands free calls. Lumia 900 have no problems with TomTom, all works as expected, 920 on the other hand can only connect to TomTom as an external speaker/mic. but no phonebook download, although you can make a call by dialing from TomTom.

920 is missing the following Bluetooth profiles that were present in 900, i think that's the issue here.

AVCTP 1.0, AVDTP 1.0, AVRCP 1.0, RFCOMM 1.0 bluetooth profiles are gone from 920 but included in 900.

goldie_rt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I agree that the vibration isn't an issue. If we could get in-person comparisons of phones that people think are buzzing/rattling against phones where people don't note it, that would help (however difficult).
Nokia's customer support tells me a rattle is not expected and I should return the phone (again). I really don't see how, if every single phone does this, it was not mentioned once in any of the reviews leading to launch. The best way I can describe it would be if you take a vibrating PS3 controller and hold it about 1mm above a table. If that's "normal," I'm scared to think what else might be. Seriously, I'm not one of those impossible to please people, but this rattling is not within the range of anything I've heard a phone make.

Just like how one poster was certain the 'thud' I and others were hearing was the spring-mounted camera, after an exchange I can assure you it was an abnormal condition, as the new phone makes a noise that can be attributed to the camera, but is in no way similar to the 'thud' I heard/felt on the first unit.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I've been having the bluetooth issues with my car as well. It paired fine but it won't automatically re-pair itself on subsequent occasions.

Another issue I'm having is inability to receive pictures through SMS (MMS). When someone sends me a photo, I get a message with "Get content now" and when I click it, it flashing between "Getting content" and quickly goes back to "Get content now" again.

I have MMS issue occasionally with my Titan II. It gets confused if you have on data & wifi. If I turn off the wifi, the MMS gets downloaded without any issue (MMS doesn't work over wifi). Not sure if this will help.

nitrocs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
bugs I have discovered:

- when paired with an in-vehicle bluetooth audio system (specifically Microsoft SYNC in my 2012 Ford EDGE) the phone disconnects from A2DP stream when song skip button is used on display or steering wheel

- mail accounts with the same email give error when added (needed for IMAP of mail and standard connection for calendars/contacts on gmail)
workaround: add first account normal, add 2nd with typo in email address. after sync fails on second account, edit properties & change email address to proper spelling

- BING background does not automatically change, only changes if you switch to background & then revert to BING

- music volume is tied to system/ringer volume

- cant set static IP on manually added hidden Wi-Fi network

more TBD

Overall, I LOVE my Lumia 920 thus far & consider it a worthy upgrade from my launch day iPhone 4

Last edited:

BJBen

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dying 920

My red Lumina 920 died last night (could not be woken up with power button). I had to look up how to hard reset the phone, might be useful for this forum. Hold volume down + power button + camera button until the phone vibrates. Release the power button but continue to hold volume down + camera button for a few more seconds. This worked for me also I have the quick battery drain problem I'm looking into.

Had this same thing happen with mine the first night. Battery was almost full when I went to sleep. Next morning, wouldn't turn on. Plugging it in did nothing. When called, went straight to VM. Hard reset (using the buttons mentioned in the quote) brought it back with all settings/contacts/etc still intact, and the battery was still almost full.
Hasn't happened again...yet

Chippius_nl

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Issues I had:
- battery drain, even after hard reset it wasn't that good
- overheating ( after had reset it was a bitt less)
- slow charging
- above the nokia logo the casing could be pressed in (only a little)
- the bottom part of the screen had a yellowish-brown hue. Very annoying with white backgrounds, but even visible in the white letters with black background.

Exchanged for a new one. Experience so far is good. Screen is evenly lit and of same color. Battery usage is way better. It charges faster and the phone stays cooler. I'm happy again :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb