Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

en0x#AC

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
i think the earpiece is crappy. when i have my volume to 30/30 i can hear distortion/static but when i go to about 20 it's fine

AaronDotNet

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I find that half of my texts won't get sent the first time. Clicking to resend them usually works. Not a big deal, but it does get annoying. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my phone or with AT&T, but my 900 and Focus worked fine in this regard. I should mention I have one of the developer phones from BUILD, so maybe I missed a configuration step (pretty much just put in the SIM card and set the access point to "AT&T - LTE 1 - Lumia").

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Alright, second device and still getting dust under the screen. How the **** is this possible? I called Nokia and they told me there is now way that is possible since the digitizer and screen are one piece. There was no dust under the screen when I first got it and now it's building up.

RimorLatin

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Issues I am seeing

Here are the issues I am seeing over the past weekend.

Bluetooth:
Bluetooth will connect to my Alpine CDE-133BT car audio CD receiver, but A2DP will not work. This is to say commands Play/Pause, & skip do not work. Making hands free voice calls is not working either. Using the receiver, I can initiate the text, but the phone always acts as thou it can not hear me. Also not working is any of the display status that would normally be on the receivers display. These are, artist, album and track info, etc.
All of these worked with my HTC Surround with the exception of the display status would only work for the first song (was hoping a Bluetooth spec 3.0 phone would fix this.)
To pair my 920 I first deleted the HTC, and then paired the 920. That all worked well, even downloading the phone book worked, with out complaints. :confused:

Regularly either using Xbox music or Nokia Drive w/Bluetooth I also experience the audio stopping. In some cases I found that was due to the song I was playing is complaining about licensing. Which shouldn't be the case as my Xbox Music subscription is current. Other times it would stop and I would have to use the phone to advance to the next track to get it going again.

After attempting to place a hands free text, using Bluetooth and my receiver, the volume of the resuming music is at a much lower level, it then stops playing at all for a few seconds and the plays at normal level.

Freezing:
Have experienced 2 types of freezing both twice.
Twice the phone has refused to power on, until I gave it the 3 finger salute. This is holding down the Vol-, Pwr and Camera buttons simultaneously until the phone vibrates.
WARNING this will power cycle your phone.
Twice, the phone froze, only to resume on it's own many seconds later. Once while my son was playing a game and the other time when i was writing in this forum to report these very issues (that time I lost what I typed). :mad:

There are many things I like about this phone, its speed, camera and gorgeous display. I am really hoping that Microsoft and Nokia can get the issues fixed quick.

Last edited:

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth Pairing doesn't automatically connect after being paired with device. In Bluetooth settings it shows Bluetooth "On" but Bluetooth icon at top of notification bar shows Bluetooth "Off". This has also caused my 920 to crash. I exchanged it out and it is still doing it Nokia please fix!!!

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Los Angeles and get no local traffic info on Nokia Maps. Only Freeway and Highway traffic shows up.

I used to get local traffic fine on my wp7 device.

I noticed the same here (Chicago area) already in WP7.5 on my Lumia 710 with Nokia Maps, which is the only maps app on the Lumia 920 (correct me if I am wrong and please dont quote Att Navigator ;) ). However if I used Bing Maps, the traffic info was way more exhaustive than with Nokia Maps. Doesn't seem to make any sense.

I had an issue with my Lumia 920 this morning, where it would register the Att LTE service and immediately disconnect again striked-through 5bars, then reconnect and disconnect...
After I turned on Airplane mode and then off again, it worked fine.

Coming from a Lumia 710, the Audio quality on headphones is superb on the 920, even podcasts sound great like you are in the Studio :) (with Klipsch S4i)

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
I've noticed with Bluetooth... That it pairs voice, music. When I use my Bluetooth stereo Headsets (LG HBS700's) while listening to music... a text will come in. It'll stop the music and read the text to me allowing me to respond with a voice command. After I respond... the music doesn't restart. I look at the settings and it will say "voice" instead of "voice, music." I have to turn off bluetooth, and restart it to get it to work correctly.

Slightly annoying. It worked flawlessly on my 900.

Same problem here. Happened to me while listening to podcast. I could go to a different song (not podcast) and the sound came back.

Other odd thing is that when this happens it also disabled my volume control so turning the sound all the way up or down had no effect on volume. Turning the phone on/off solved the issue.

Mike20PR

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Went to the store due to the speaker issue where sound distorts in high volume to find out that the display and replacement i was testing sounded the same... I cant believe Nokia would allow this, is there a chance of it being software related?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from exchanging my second matt black Lumia 920 for the high gloss red. So far nl dust under the screen and also no strange rattle from the motor that produces the vibrate. Possible quality control of the matt black ones?

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Video Files Missing

Last night I experienced severe overheating while using the file explorer to transfer video files off of my Lumia 920. Just right now I noticed that this got messed up REAL good. Only one video file of ~13 transfered and it copied that video 12 times. It also saved some of the videos as .jpg files which are not usable. I have 400+MB .jpg files. This does not make sense. Something is obviously wrong. My video files are gone which is a big bummer as they were good videos that I was looking forward to sharing (friend's season end Cyclocross videos).

Come on MS and Nokia, get this figured out ASAP. I cannot have a phone that overheats to ridiculous temperatures and the battery drains. Especially as an upgrade to my Lumia 900. Absurd.

SANDIP BORSE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Panorama

I dont know what it is? the panorama APP or the Phone. but it does not work on My 920!

In monitoring some of the problems and complaints people have had with their Lumia 920 (every new smartphone has some issues at launch) I figured I'd put together a checklist of things to test for as well as possible solutions, so that we'll know whether to keep the Lumia 920 we bought or exchange it for another while we can.

Battery drain
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.

Dust under screen
Only read of one such complaint. My guess is this is a one-off. If this is an issue the only solution is to exchange your handset.

Freezes/restarts
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.

Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

Vibration rattle
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.

Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.

Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.

Daytime photos
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.

Bluetooth pairing
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.

Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week). Also, there are some complaints about quoting this post in responses (making pages in this thread extra long). Please keep that in mind when replying :)

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Last night I experienced severe overheating while using the file explorer to transfer video files off of my Lumia 920. Just right now I noticed that this got messed up REAL good. Only one video file of ~13 transfered and it copied that video 12 times. It also saved some of the videos as .jpg files which are not usable. I have 400+MB .jpg files. This does not make sense. Something is obviously wrong. My video files are gone which is a big bummer as they were good videos that I was looking forward to sharing (friend's season end Cyclocross videos).

Come on MS and Nokia, get this figured out ASAP. I cannot have a phone that overheats to ridiculous temperatures and the battery drains. Especially as an upgrade to my Lumia 900. Absurd.
And now my phone won't connect to any services. Even when I try and open up the "dialer" it just shuts down the process and takes me to the home screen. What the F is going on with these damn phones? GET THIS FIGURED OUT. With how long it took to get this phone to market it should NOT have THIS MANY issues. I understand some issues, but not this many, not with this much time to complete it.

ganks

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I messed around a little more with the bluetooth and having similar issues as everyone else with it not staying reconnecting to my car each time I restart the vehicle. I have to press the bluetooth button on the car to get it to sync.

Also, still getting popping noises over BT, not as bad as before but it's noticeable.

Hopefully BT will be one of the 1st fixes. I recall seeing the 920 was supposed to support more BT profiles than my 900 but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Ethan Jensen

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot killed my display... :O

I was taking screen shots and wondered if I took a screen shot fast enough that I could take a picture of the red (my theme color) as it takes the screen shot. I didn't think it would actually do it... I spammed screenshot as fast as I could and now the screen is stuck on red. I tried doing a hard reset (holding the power button down, maybe the reset has changed??) but to no avail. Hopefully when it dies (full battery atm) it will turn on and be fine. Haha will update as things progress. But try not to abuse your phones. :/ :excl:
:confused:

*Update* Whoops looks like I wasn't holding down the Volume Down button + the Power button. Problem solved. Now let's see if I captured the RED!

*Update: 2* Haha looks like I could capture the red! And I got some of the transition from the screen to the red. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3EA0C5EE1B5384BA!9980&authkey=!ANyAqjgWlhf4N04

Last edited:

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any lockups since the four I had in my first 24 hours of ownership. Come to think of it, I have been using bluetooth a lot less. Perhaps that has something to do with it...

Also, still getting popping noises over BT, not as bad as before but it's noticeable.

I found that this happens maybe 1/10 times after making the bluetooth connection. Toggling bluetooth on/off generally fixes the issue. This tells me this is almost certainly a software issue, albeit still an annoying one. At least (in my case) it seems to be fixable with minimal effort.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I've had with mine (got it on Friday from my local AT&T store, a white one) is the near overheating warmth around the back top. On mine it seems to only happen when I'm on wifi and only when the wifi is wonky (both my office and home wifi suck a whole bag of crap). I have a grandfathered-in unlimited data plan, so I'm going to run with wifi off for a couple of days and see what happens.

Fortunately, I've not been afflicted with any of the other issues listed here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs