Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There is a problem with the some of the Nokia Lumia 920 phones; most likely a large, bad batch was shipped.

I don't think it's a hardware issue at all. I think it's entirely software related. I, too, have been bitten by the battery drain issue... but only once, and like you said, I had gone through and enabled battery saver, airplane mode, and other tricks just to identify the issue (even uninstalled a bunch of things), and it persisted until I rebooted the phone.

I believe there's a very buggy radio firmware on the devices, and the issue is triggered when one or more radios isn't going into power save modes appropriately. It will get fixed and in the short term people just need to report the issue to @NokiaCareUS on Twitter or other means of contacting Nokia so they can get a fix issued ASAP. I believe whatever the issue is with the radios that it's also causing the Bluetooth and lockup/freezing issues as well.

I've seen this happen on MANY phones over the years... Windows Mobile and Android alike. It's aggravating, but it's fixable. :)

UPDATE: I just went over to the 8X forums and found this post complaining of the same 10% loss/hour issue that many of us have experienced. So now I'm thinking, YES-- it's software related-- BUT, it may be with Windows Phone 8 itself, not the Lumia 920 radios as I first suspected. So I'm guessing it can't hurt to tweet @WindowsPhoneSupport and voice some feedback as well.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have problems with raised glass on the sides of the phone? You can clearly notice it when you press down. It flexes. On the left side, it makes a very slight pop...also happens when pushing in the center of the screen. Will be comparing it to the in store display before my 14 days are up.

No, but others have reported it. You definitely should have it replaced.

If I plug in my vehicles aux cable before starting music playback, music will come out of the phones speakers rather than send it to my stereo. I can simply unplug and plug the jack back in and it will switch over. It doesn't happen every time. I reply back if I find a more repeatable scenario.

Settings > Speech > Change it to Bluetooth and Headsets instead of just Bluetooth.

The proximity sensor is really pissing me off. It is absolutely ridiculous that you cant end a phone call or even be allowed on the call screen. It's all black and you cant even get on it.

Others have reported about dust blocking the sensor... I've not had this problem. If you blow on it you may dislodge the dust and correct it, but I think you'd be best served to replace the phone with a unit with a properly sealed display so that you don't repeatedly get dust in it.

kantFTW

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My SO and I both got 920s; his is white and mine is red. On his device, the buttons on the side all feel solid and only travel when you give them pressure.

On mine, the volume rocker is just slightly wobbly. If I didn't have another one to compare it to, I would never have noticed. What I would have noticed, however, is that the volume rocker squeaks. Not when I give it a full press, but when I just lightly tap it. This may not sound like too big of a deal, but for some reason, the way I hold the phone has it making this high-pitched, incessant squeak all the time. I at first thought, "no big deal," but am quickly realizing an exchange is in order, as it's driving me up a wall.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My camera doesn't focus while trying to scan barcodes with the Bing search. It will focus if I tell it to scan text but will not focus to scan a barcode.

dhruvz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I need some help. I am not sure if I did something wrong, but the wallet app on my windows phone 8 is not working.

As soon as I go into the app, i see "Updating Wallet...." on top and it just exits. I added a few cards and Paypal account everything was working well. And I decided to remove credit card info by following the details, going to certain website that is mentioned onscreen, most likely some commerce site for microsoft live.

So all now I have a wallet app with my 2 credit cards, my paypal info and some other stuff linked, but i cant use it since it keeps on exiting the app as soon as I open it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I need some help. I am not sure if I did something wrong, but the wallet app on my windows phone 8 is not working.

As soon as I go into the app, i see "Updating Wallet...." on top and it just exits. I added a few cards and Paypal account everything was working well. And I decided to remove credit card info by following the details, going to certain website that is mentioned onscreen, most likely some commerce site for microsoft live.

So all now I have a wallet app with my 2 credit cards, my paypal info and some other stuff linked, but i cant use it since it keeps on exiting the app as soon as I open it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

You should open a new thread for this one so that more people see it... probably best in the Windows Phone 8 section too. :)

That said, I've not seen/heard anything like this yet, so you may also want to check https://gethelp.live.com/en-us/Pages/wp8.aspx for some help (use the Store option).

dhruvz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You should open a new thread for this one so that more people see it... probably best in the Windows Phone 8 section too. :)

That said, I've not seen/heard anything like this yet, so you may also want to check https://gethelp.live.com/en-us/Pages/wp8.aspx for some help (use the Store option).

I've already opened a thread in the Windows Phone 8 section. Since this thread is amazingly popular, i thought I'll ask here as well. Not intending to spam, but hoping get a fix soon.

nickpatel01

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
One more bug, email sync issue. When ever I open Gmail or yahoo mail apps it crash and goes back to start screen, when I check the email setting it says sync un progress. Sync status shows up for few hours. Last app I installed was Skype which I already uninstalled but issue still remain.

Can not wait for MS to release a fix.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
One more bug, email sync issue. When ever I open Gmail or yahoo mail apps it crash and goes back to start screen, when I check the email setting it says sync un progress. Sync status shows up for few hours. Last app I installed was Skype which I already uninstalled but issue still remain.

There's an article on the main page about this issue.

raysin

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Others have reported about dust blocking the sensor... I've not had this problem. If you blow on it you may dislodge the dust and correct it, but I think you'd be best served to replace the phone with a unit with a properly sealed display so that you don't repeatedly get dust in it.

yup, i had to use compressed air for it to work again. I definitely do not want to be doing this every week you know? I just wonder when would be a good time to go get a replacement.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
yup, i had to use compressed air for it to work again. I definitely do not want to be doing this every week you know? I just wonder when would be a good time to go get a replacement.

I have dust under my screen after 1 day :(

? update - noticed more dust :( I was hoping the one spec was just from manufacturing, but more appears to be entering. Sad as it will eventually degrade the awesomeness of the screen

Last edited:

YBT_Ryan

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm having really strange issues with the speakers. They are making the crackling/ popping sound at when I increase/decrease the volume in music ( it also can be tested by holding the volume up key when its at max) which has a knock on effect to the the ringtones. The ringtone is fixed by a reboot, but the music still has the popping crackling...

The odd thing is that this only happens with local music, any streamed music works fine, even offline caching in Nokia music works and email attachments that are downloaded. I even tried buying some songs from Xbox music and downloading straight to the phone, same issue. I've tried this on 4 different 920s! - same problem. I've tried everything, reboots/ resets, different music sources, bitrates file types... nothing works

Anyone else having this?

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, today I just had my first battery/heat issue on my 920. Was streaming Vevo videos for about 30 minutes and playing them through the AUX jack in my car and the phone got uncomfortably hot and the battery drained from 100% to 41% in just 25-30 minutes. Admittedly this is pretty heavy use, LTE data + Video + Audio, but this isn't normal.Since I stopped the battery has drained from 41% to 36% in the 15 minutes since shutting everything off and leaving it alone. Odds are it will be dead in 90 minutes of standby time.

This ****** is so incredibly disappointed with both my 920, WP8 and Windows 8. What a massive step back this all feels like.

wrxdrunkie

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having a problem with the wifi. My Lumia crashes my home wifi network. So does my buddy's 920. I have tried changing the channel and security but nothing helps. Sucks not being able to use wifi on the 920.

Samvel87

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, today I just had my first battery/heat issue on my 920. Was streaming Vevo videos for about 30 minutes and playing them through the AUX jack in my car and the phone got uncomfortably hot and the battery drained from 100% to 41% in just 25-30 minutes. Admittedly this is pretty heavy use, LTE data + Video + Audio, but this isn't normal.Since I stopped the battery has drained from 41% to 36% in the 15 minutes since shutting everything off and leaving it alone. Odds are it will be dead in 90 minutes of standby time.

This ****** is so incredibly disappointed with both my 920, WP8 and Windows 8. What a massive step back this all feels like.

Not sure why you'd be disappointed with Windows 8. Great OS, very stable, boot times are amazing.

radioage54

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia owners

What about no Flash Player support in WP8 IE10??? Now I can't watch my Dish Network/Slingbox on this phone! Crap!

New (Yesterday) Nokia Lumia 822
Old Samsung Droid Charge( had to charge it constantly so
I guess they named it right!)

m0unds

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia owners

What about no Flash Player support in WP8 IE10??? Now I can't watch my Dish Network/Slingbox on this phone! Crap!

New (Yesterday) Nokia Lumia 822
Old Samsung Droid Charge( had to charge it constantly so
I guess they named it right!)

adobe discontinued mobile flash over a year ago. (regardless of platform)

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
One bug I hope they fix SOON is the grey screen issue, Coming from the L900 screen looks off dark/dull. I know 900 is amoled, but I thought whites would look better on l920. Things just look washed out. I compared it to other L920s at the att store and those look much better. I swapped but still have the same issue on the matte black, perhaps a bad batch. Is there anyone else having this issue ? I really love this phone bug it bugs me ? Maybe its just the color temp ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers