Charging from my car and noticed somthing...

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So I don't know if I need a new USB cable or what but I noticed that when I plugged my Lumia 920 in my car charger it showed up like it was charging but when I used the Nokia Drive app it was actually depleting the battery. Suddenly the phone shut off and was out of battery. All I got on the screen was the low battery indication.
After about 10 minutes it started back up because it had enough charge.

The problem ist that the Lumia 920 doesn't draw enough power from most in-car chargers. That includes 99% of the 2+A chargers. I went through about 4-5 of them. The only one that actually worked is the Nokia DC-20 charger. That one's only 1A but charges the phone nicely.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This is probably why my phone came with a free car charger when I purchased it. I haven't used it, yet. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I found a 2.1A Belkin that I tried today on a one hour trip with music and it managed to maintain the charge as it was, so it's okay

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I found a 2.1A Belkin that I tried today on a one hour trip with music and it managed to maintain the charge as it was, so it's okay

Tried a Belkin charger and it didn't work for me. I believe it also depends on the cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

style2k12

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
i just noticed the same with my 720 also not charging . when i insert the usb cable the Phone just keep making noice a few times (the same noice you hear when it starts charging from the pc)..
while i tested another Phone (hd2) and it charges just normaly as it Always did . but the lumia just wont start charging. and its realy stupid that i need to buy an extra charger while i have an usb built into my car.. so is there a way to fix it ? i think its some fault in wp8 or the lumia serie phones ??

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Resurrecting this old thread as my experience should help current (and future) owners of (not just) the 920 to avoid shelling out for fast chargers/charge only cables etc (as I did).

I am very set in my ways and don't materially change either my app list or my start screen for months. I recently decided to try a new battery app (looked very nice compared to the stock one I was using before).

I also use my 920 as my main navigation device and went on a business trip a couple of days later. I have been using for more than a year now a Nokia DC-20 (1A output per port) with a charge only cable taken from this kit: Fast car charger with cables and clips - TomTom and it has been more than sufficient (apart from Drive+ and Bluetooth I have x3 email accounts on push, Amazing Weather HD, BBC News and the battery app running in the background) .

After a couple of hours on the motorway I saw the battery icon on screen for the first time in ages actually go down (normally the charger/cable combo keeps up with the drain and even goes up by a bit). Upon arrival to my first stop battery was down to 75%! After the second stint the battery continued to drain and after about half an hour it was down to about 65%. For the return trip changed the battery app back to the original and low and behold normal operation resumed.

Lessons learnt:

1) The majority (if not all) of incidents of abnormal battery drain are down to badly coded apps. WP8 on its own is as battery friendly as it gets.
2) Before going out and buying fast chargers etc look at your app list and start the elimination process until
3) 8.1 arrives with its builtin individual app battery drain indicator (if the SDK is to be believed) which will separate the men from the boys (apologies to the ladies, just a figure of speech).

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So where do you get this USB charging cables? I only find data+charging (in France). A reference would be appreciated. I guess trying the USB cable coming with my 1020 charger won't do it as it works for data too ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett