Lumia 920 Screen Scratches

Dreamagain

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe any of this Hammer and Knife scratch test. My Samsung phone has gorilla glass and I managed to scratch mine too. I blame keeping my phone in pocket with loose coin change and or/car keys. That's only way I scratched my phone

What is there to believE? You can clearly see him stabbing it with a knife. My GS3 I had for 3 months looked brand new. My lumia 920 still looks new too.

It's straight up dumb to keep your phone with your change/keys. I always put my phone in an empty pocket, and I clean it with my cloth/spray once or twice a day. Looks brand new.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess that I am one of the lucky ones to not have any scratches yet!! I keep my in my jacket pocket that has a zipper for the lip and also in my car cup holder and it slides around in that too! Not a scratch anyplace, screen nor the back!! Not even that little black camera strip has gotten any scratch on it!!

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be 2 groups of Lumia 920 owners, each at opposite extremes. There's the group that scratches the Lumia 920 screen with pocket, fingernail, desk, cupholder, etc. And then there's the group that stabs their phone with a knife and nothing happens.

The only conclusion logical is that there are a number of Lumia 920's out there with defective screens.

I wonder if there's a way to differentiate Lumia 920 batch numbers and see if there's just a bad batch of them.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is distressing. I plan on having my 810 and my eventual 920 in my bag when I'm out on the go. It'll come into contact with other stuff in there because there's no separate pocket for a phone. Really don't want any scratches. My iPhone has not a one and I expect the same from my Lumia. :(

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have some light scuffs in the screen. Not deep, but noticeable when the screen is off. I assume that's the oleophobic coating, not the glass. I've been extremely careful not to put the screen in contact with anything besides pockets and fingers, so I don't know what caused the light scratches.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Sand/dirt/grit are going to be the things that scracth these things people. And yes, we all inevitably get a bit of sand/dirt/grit into our pockets/bags/purses. It's just the way things go unfortunately. I have full faith that the knife isn't going to scratch the phone. Sprinkle a couple grains of beach sand and wipe them off with a microfiber cloth and see what happens. Guaranteed hairline scratches.

Circ3

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is distressing. I plan on having my 810 and my eventual 920 in my bag when I'm out on the go. It'll come into contact with other stuff in there because there's no separate pocket for a phone. Really don't want any scratches. My iPhone has not a one and I expect the same from my Lumia. :(

I've kept my L920 in my purse along with keys, makeup, change, etc. My screen is still beautifully flawless. However today I looked at the back of my phone in the sun and noticed a couple micro scratches, but they're hardly noticeable unless you're really looking. Nevertheless, I'll be purchasing something to put my phone in to prevent future scratching as my phone will usually be in a purse unless I'm using it.

Edit: I have now noticed MANY micro scratches on the screen as well. Didn't notice them before because they are, well, micro :) seriously, they are very hard to notice unless you hold the phone at an angle in direct light, but yes they are there, and there are many.

Last edited:

Balkan Eddy

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well for what is worth i was today at grand opening at Microsoft Yorkdale Mall in Toronto and they had couple of Lumia 920 on displays so since i did not want to try this on mine
i used my ring with diamonds and car keys and i really "Tested" the screen if you know what i mean in every motion possible...
Well after a good minute or so trying to scratch the screen in every possible way i could not do it, after i wiped the screen clean i could not see a single scratch on it.
I tried that on the back too, this is black mat color, while i did wiped it clean i could see some micro-scratches but nothing drastic.

I can tell you if i tried the above test on the iPhone i would not be sure of the results.

dreamfly

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the 920 yet but for those people who can easily scratch their phones, is it possible the phone came with a screen protector or a really transparent plastic?

invizibleyez

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I also have a Lumia 920 that has scratches on the screen which in my opinion are happening incredibly easy. My previous phone was a LG Quantum which has gorilla glass, and in the same pockets/places, it only got 1 scratch over a year and a half+. About one week with my lumia 920 and I have a deep scratch, a long scratch, and several small scratches. They are hard to take pictures of as they look like dust mostly in the pictures, besides the long one. I have attached the picture of my long scratch, best achieved by trying to angle a flashlight just perfectly to show it.DSCN1727.JPG

Iamdunne

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have some light scuffs in the screen. Not deep, but noticeable when the screen is off. I assume that's the oleophobic coating, not the glass. I've been extremely careful not to put the screen in contact with anything besides pockets and fingers, so I don't know what caused the light scratches.
Same here exactly. I am a women, i have my phone in a case and carry it in a purse in a pocket made for cell phones facing in.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well for what is worth i was today at grand opening at Microsoft Yorkdale Mall in Toronto and they had couple of Lumia 920 on displays so since i did not want to try this on mine
i used my ring with diamonds and car keys and i really "Tested" the screen if you know what i mean in every motion possible...
Well after a good minute or so trying to scratch the screen in every possible way i could not do it, after i wiped the screen clean i could not see a single scratch on it.
I tried that on the back too, this is black mat color, while i did wiped it clean i could see some micro-scratches but nothing drastic.

I can tell you if i tried the above test on the iPhone i would not be sure of the results.
Your ring is fake, sorry.

invizibleyez

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about this issue, since I find it weird that this is happening, and seemingly only to some of us. A few questions to those who have gotten scratches. Is your phone the white phone like mine? or a different color? if so, what color? Has your phone ever gotten hot while in your pocket? Has your battery life been inconsistent?

My phone is white. It is a Nokia Lumia 920 with 11/9 written on the box indicating it was an original release phone. My battery has been inconsistent. If my phone gets hot while in my pocket, which it does sometimes, the battery seems to drain very quickly. If it does not get hot in my pocket, the battery seems to last really long.

I am wondering if the heat/battery issue has anything to do with the scratching. If Gorilla Glass 2 gets warm/hot, does it scratch easier? I wonder....

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought my white lumia 920 last sunday. The phone is used heavily for texting, email, music, tweets ect. I sometimes do put my phone in the same pocket as my keys (usually if im in a hurry getting out of the car) I do have a few scratches on the back of the phone that are hard to see but no scratches on the front.
the first couple of days it had horrible battery life, after blocking a few programs from running in the background, discharging the phone completely and recharging it to full, the battery life is great, can last a full work day.

invizibleyez

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I contacted Nokia about this. So far, they seem to be less than concerned. If anyone wants to read my conversation with them, here it is. I edited the conversation a little for privacy reasons.

Robbie: Hi, my name is Robbie. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat. How may I help you?

invizibleyez@aol.com
Who should I contact regarding issues with my Nokia Lumia 920 display scratching very easily?

Robbie
I am sorry to hear that. Let me see what I can do to assists you with your concern. Before we proceed, may I know your full name please?

invizibleyez@aol.com
Willy Wonka

Robbie
Thank you for the information Willy. May I know what exactly happen to the phone while the screen display have a scratch?

invizibleyez@aol.com
I was carrying my phone in my pocket as I always have done at work. There is no case or screen protector, and there were no sharp objects or hard objects at all in my pocket.

Robbie
I see, I would like to inform you that the Nokia Lumia 920 corning gorilla glass is a scratch resistant glass.

Robbie
Not fully scratch proof and it may have a scratch.

invizibleyez@aol.com
I do know this. it's actually Gorilla Glass 2, which is scratch resistant. I have subjected it to the same environments that my older phone was subjected to, which has Gorilla Glass 1. That phone never had an issue with getting scratched in the same environments and conditions.

Robbie
Thank you for the information. However it depends on the usage of the phone if it will have a scratch on it.

invizibleyez@aol.com
I would expect some superficial small scratches as it is a very high gloss finish, and also protrudes from the phone slightly on the front, however, my biggest concern happened yesterday while at work, with nothing at all in my pocket, I noticed a sudden deep scratch, seemingly from nowhere. I can actually feel it if I run my fingernail gently over the surface.

Robbie
I see, while your phone is on your pocket did you bump yourself to any hard edges?

invizibleyez@aol.com
nothing at all. There are no incidents to be reported.

invizibleyez@aol.com
I am certain this is an problem possibly with a batch of the Nokia Lumia 920, as 2 of the forums I frequent have users reporting the exact same problems.

Robbie
I would like to inform you that we do not have any information regarding to forums or other third party websites.

invizibleyez@aol.com
That's ok, I was just letting you know what I have come across.

Robbie
Thank you for understanding. Since it is a hardware issue and we do not have any procedures can be done on the phone.

Robbie
Your best option is to contact your point of purchase for a replacement.

invizibleyez@aol.com
Are there any kind of batch codes or anything I can try to track to see if this is related to all Lumia 920s or just a specific batch?

Robbie
There are not specific batch code for the Nokia Lumia 920 phone that are release.

invizibleyez@aol.com
Alright. I understand Nokia does not make the glass, so I have also contacted corning regarding this issue.

Robbie
I see, may I know what information they have provided you?

invizibleyez@aol.com
Nothing yet, I just emailed them.

invizibleyez@aol.com
If they do send me any information, should I forward it to you?

Robbie
Okay let us know what information they have provided you. For the mean time your best option is to have a replacement from your point of purchase.

Robbie
Yes, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Robbie
I will be providing you a reference number of this chat conversation.

invizibleyez@aol.com
Is there an email for customer support?

Robbie
You can email our Nokia Support if the live chat is already close.

invizibleyez@aol.com
Support@Nokia.com?

Robbie
Please refer to the link below:
http://www.nokia.com...upport/contact/

Robbie
If the live chat is already close you can send email.

Robbie
The reference number for this chat conversation is #######.

invizibleyez@aol.com
Okay thank you. I am going to save this conversation for my records.

Robbie
You are most welcome. Yes, you may print out our conversation from you end.

invizibleyez@aol.com
Thank you for your attention. I hope this problem isn't too large when it is all said and done. I do love the phone, I'm just worried about it's longevity at this point.

Robbie
You are most welcome Willy. No worries, I will be treating your concern as a feedback from my end to improve the said phone in the future

Robbie
Are you still there Willy?

invizibleyez@aol.com
Yes. Thank you for your time. Have a good day.

Robbie
You are most welcome Willy. If you do need any further help in the future, please do not hesitate to chat with us again. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat and have a great day!

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
A picture of my phone's scratch: OpkIV.jpg

From sliding a couple inches off an open book onto my desk at work. The scratch is indented and you can feel it.

Last edited:

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
So far my white 920 is flawless. You guys are starting to make me worry lol. I hope you guys find resolution on this beyond just being told you're SOL.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I also have a Lumia 920 that has scratches on the screen which in my opinion are happening incredibly easy. My previous phone was a LG Quantum which has gorilla glass, and in the same pockets/places, it only got 1 scratch over a year and a half+. About one week with my lumia 920 and I have a deep scratch, a long scratch, and several small scratches. They are hard to take pictures of as they look like dust mostly in the pictures, besides the long one. I have attached the picture of my long scratch, best achieved by trying to angle a flashlight just perfectly to show it.View attachment 22943

i know exactly how that happened, am betting you were wearing jeans right? see those iron circle buttons at the right side top end of your pocket? sometimes those can cut into the inside of your jeans and be a bit exposed, so when you are pulling your phone out of your pocket, it rubs against that little exposed part of the iron rivet like thing and wholla theres the scratch on your screen.

ju11ce

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is my red 920 after a week. Pulled it out of my pocket (kept seperate from other items) and noticed the fine scratches across the center of the screen. Am I having too high of expectations for durability?

920 screen - Imgur

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99