Lumia 920 Screen Scratches

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
wow... this is surprising. after watching the torture test on this website, i was pretty confident the screen was up to standards.

i'm glad i have my screen covered...

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I also put too much faith in the screen scratch test videos. I was looking at my phone in the sun a few days ago and was horrified that my screen is full of hairline scratches. Most of the time I can't see them and I think the screen probably handles deep scratches but not these hairline scratches. I'll try to post a picture later today when I get off of work. Take your phone and view it in the sun or other bright light condition. Just move it around trying to view it at different angles.

EDIT: To answer about color and phone. My color is Cyan and it hasn't gotten too warm and the battery last great.

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Darn Couldn't upload the jpg for some reason. It's on my Skydrive.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8C81ECFCAF8D1C8!1364

This is the best picture I could take. I used one of those screen wipe cloths before taking the pictures. See that smudge looking thing at the top right? It's not a smudge. It's scratches. If you look to the left you can see the hairline scratches. it's not just there though. It's all over my screen. I've never dropped it and I keep it in my pocket opposite of keys. The Screen faces towards my leg. This is very unfortunate because I told my wife months back when she got her GS3 that she doesn't need a screen protector because it would hold up well against scratches. I wipe her screen today and didn't see one scratch. My son has had his GS2 for about a week and also on his no scratches. This sucks. Like I said in another post the key scratching vid had me fooled. I wonder if it has anything to do with the super sensitive screen. Maybe something about it. Oh well. :crying:

vangj

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just want to add to the point that the screen scratches easily. I've had two phones and both have had minor scratches. Not really bad, but noticeable for a brand new phone. I had my second phone for only a couple of days (kept in my pocket) while I waited for a screen protector. I thought for sure that in a couple of days, it can't be that bad in my pocket. I don't know what scratched the screen but there is a long minor scratch. I kept trying to wash it with a lint free clothe hoping it was a smudge but it wasn't. It's so weird and so makes me a disappointed customer.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE ABOUT GORILLA GLASS. GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR NOW!

FYI: Have had two black phones

stealthology

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Sigh.. scratches like a ***** on my phone. I've never has protectors on my iPhones over the past 6 years, and never needed one.

Hopefully Nokia improves the screen scratch issue with future releases.

honeybudger

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
dam i thought i was the only one with this problem.. i only had it for 2 days and notice a deep starch and other fine starches.. eitherway i taking it back and getting a replacement.. the 920 none the less a amazing phone.. but its a shame for this little defect..

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing as with any product some may have slight defects so maybe certain phones come with a slight defect on the scratch resistant screens.

MyL920 has 0 scratches. I take my L800 and drop/toss it just to show my clients how resistant the Nokia is and still remains looking brand new without scracthes. And I know the L920 has Gorilla Glass II and L800 has v1 but fact of the matter is, nothing is built perfectly.

Big Dad E

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My L920 fell from a table in a restaurant and landed face down on the floor. To my surprise, there were no scratches on the screen. A few days later, it falls from a machine I drive at work. It doesn't hit the floor, but it dangles from a cord connected to an external battery and hits the side of the machine. Now there is a small scratch on the screen. It's noticeable at the right angle with screen off. I can't feel it with my finger, but I know it's there, mocking me.

I don't want to hide the beauty of my phone, but I've ordered a case and screen protector.

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
mine is still fresh looking without scratches, wth are you guys doing with your phones?

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary! My Wife abuses here GS3 and like I mentioned in my previous post she doesn't have 1 scratch on the screen. I just put mine in my pocket alone.

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had luck exchanging their scratched phone for a new one throught AT&T? Called customer service tonight and got the runaround. They wanted us to send the phone back before they would reorder a new one. They recommended we go to a store but since the phone was ordered over the phone through customer service I'm not sure if we'll get pushback. Also, none of the stores in our area have yellow in stock.

quh86

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
i also noticed scratches on my yellow 920 after just a week.
i was really careful with my phone, never had it together with coins or keys or what ever in my pocket. i even used the box it came in as a temporary case.
only thing i did was trying out the super sensitive screen with different stuff, such as plastic pens and metal clips, etc. i may have put a little too much pressure on it but only with the plastic pens, not with anything made out of metal. apparently i was fooled by the scratch-test-videos as well.
that really annoys me a lot. it may have to to with some coating on top of the gorilla glass. i think i read somewhere that nokia put a special coating on the glass to reduce reflecting sunlight or so.
if exchanging devices was as easy as in the states here in germany, i would probably do it.

EG8196

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had luck exchanging their scratched phone for a new one throught AT&T? Called customer service tonight and got the runaround. They wanted us to send the phone back before they would reorder a new one. They recommended we go to a store but since the phone was ordered over the phone through customer service I'm not sure if we'll get pushback. Also, none of the stores in our area have yellow in stock.
Just lie
Tell them it reboots randomly.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Remove scratches:

Vibrant Gorilla Glass Scratch Repair - xda-developers

I invested in the full body Invisible Shield for $30. I've seen it on ebay for $22 w/shipping.

That is pretty cool.

There must be some defects, because clearly some scratch more easily then others. Unfortantely, I don't think the warranty covers cosmetic damages -- but it never hurts to call Nokia and see if they can do something.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I too don't understand how you can get scratches on your phone so quick. My 2.5 year old Samsung Focus had GG1 and barely had any noticeable scratches before I lost it! Unless the Gorila Glass 2 is worse than the first, I don't see how that's possible...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05