need drivers for window xp

thelink74

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
hello,

my wife is the proud of owner of a white Lumia 920 and we have Zune installed but can't connect the device becuase my windows xp machine can't find the drivers to finish the Install Wizard. Can anyone point me to where i can find said drivers? were trying to connect the device so we can transfer music and pictures and do a back up.

Thanks..

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You can use Windows Explorer to do all of that. WP8 doesn't work on Zune anyways. The back up, also, is done via the cloud. You tell the device what to back up. Also, I think an upgrade to either Win 7 or 8 is in your future. I didn't know people still use XP at home.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah XP is 11 years old!! That's a century in the tech world.

I mean in 2001 this was the most advanced phone:

10078232.a75e5512954c2c791781f65e9de8505b.jpg

That's what Halo looked like back then:

Halo.jpg

and today:

halo-4-gameplay-screenshots.jpg

target100

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who think no one uses Windows XP at home or at work, here are some illuminating facts for you from Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare Win XP was the most popular desktop OS until late 2012, at which point its market share became even with Win 7 (situation largely unchanged today). Win XP 8 currently has about 2% market share.

Conclusion: Any WP8 manufacturer (e.g., Nokia) that does not make drivers for Win XP desktops/laptops is ignoring a vast user/consumer base. No wonder WP8 market share is - and will likely remain - as dysmal as it is.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I use Lumia 920 with Windows XP SP3 (by Windows Explorer, even play lists can be done) ... not problem at all ... but I have never used Zune ...

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who think no one uses Windows XP at home or at work, here are some illuminating facts for you from Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare Win XP was the most popular desktop OS until late 2012, at which point its market share became even with Win 7 (situation largely unchanged today). Win XP 8 currently has about 2% market share.

Conclusion: Any WP8 manufacturer (e.g., Nokia) that does not make drivers for Win XP desktops/laptops is ignoring a vast user/consumer base. No wonder WP8 market share is - and will likely remain - as dysmal as it is.

XP sucks.

There is no reason to be using it any longer unless you are living in poverty or in a third world country or something.

Seriously. It's a horrid little **** stain of an OS. Windows 7 was the first Microsoft OS I actually didn't mind using.

I can't imagine willingly using XP.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
XP sucks.

There is no reason to be using it any longer unless you are living in poverty or in a third world country or something.

Seriously. It's a horrid little **** stain of an OS. Windows 7 was the first Microsoft OS I actually didn't mind using.

I can't imagine willingly using XP.

I remember when XP first came out it was branded as a memory hog especially coming off Win 2000. Save one workstation here at work, it's all XP. I agree if you can upgrade, do so, but XP is pretty solid.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I completely disagree. Customers who do not upgrade their base operating system in 11 years are far from the desired audience for a cutting edge phone like the Lumia 920. It shows they are either too cheap, or too slow to upgrade their technology... Either way, not the type to spend money, which is what it is all about with flagship technology.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree that all XP machines should be upgraded or retired but regardless of the desktop OS, WP8 should be backward-compatible with Zune for managing and syncing media. And this should be possible without connectors, adapters, or work-arounds.

Love my Lumia 920 as a phone but for such an advanced device to use drag & drop (the XP of media syncing) is just stupid.

And not in the vernacular where stupid is good but in plain English where stupid is literally stupid.

berry8350i

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
To answer the original users question here is what i did on my XP to get it to work.

)pen up Windows Media player (needs to be the Version 11)
Now plugin your phone, and when you do it will make 3 short beeps, and you will see a driver installer window open up and a second window that says "Windows Media Player - Device Setup"

Ignore the first window and pay attention to the Device Setup window.
Name your phone if you want, and then click Finish. This will start an auto sync of your device and your library.

Now go back to the other window where its looking for drivers for the ROm-820|Nokia Lumia 920
Click Install automatically and then click Next. you will see the yellow ? mark and the hour glass and be told "Windows can not install this Hardware" Thats ok, just click finish.

Now click on "Start" and then "My computer" this should now be showing you all of your Connected Items. Look for the "OTHER" category and you should see the windows phone listed under the name you provided above.

Clicking on it, will display all of its folders, including the Music, Ringtones, Documents, Pictures, and Videos.

As a side note:
I would like to point out something to you windows fanboys who jump ship every time windows farts a new version.

XP is stable. its consistent. most of hits bugs are worked out. (most not all)
I have yet to visit another company whos primary os is not windows XP.
Why is xp the primary? bc its works.

Along time ago a saying went "if it aint broke dont fix it"
I have 3 pc's at home, one running xp, my wife's on 8, and my third is running 7. the xp is used the most. why? its easy to use, configure, and we already know most of the tips and tricks to do what we need / want to do. alot of things changed that made upgrading a nightmare. 1 reason? ok lets start with the UAC.. now, i have learned recently the ways around this red headed step child, but for the average user, having windows ask you as an administrator 5 times ARE YOU SURE? is retarded. user error? yes, but due to an over complex system? yes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett