Decided NOT to return my Lumia 920 for an iPhone 5

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Really? Every time I lock my phone or leave it unused for awhile, it disconnects from my wifi. Then it seems to take awhile for it to reconnect. I've apparently used 800MB of data since Friday but have never been at a location without wifi.

You do realise that iPhone does the same don't you? My iPhone always disconnects wifi after I lock it. If you lose wifi while using it you should try restoring your unit or get it replaced.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
-The glossy back is too slick and makes holding the phone difficult.
Do you plan on getting a case for your iPhone? If so, why not get a case for the Lumia 920?

-The camera button is right where I place my fingers when talking on the phone.
This seems odd, when I hold the phone the camera button is gently resting in the palm of my hand, but I can't actually press it without using a finger. Do you hold your phone at an unusual angle or do you wear gloves or something while talking on it?

-The phone constantly disconnects/reconnects to wifi.
This seems more like a bug or something, I haven't seen this issue posted before (I use wifi exclusively and never get disconnected). The closest thing to it is the known fact that wifi disconnects 30 seconds after the screen locks, but this is going to be 'fixed' in a future patch: Microsoft changing Windows Phone WiFi behaviour in future update | Windows Phone Central

-Google mail doesn't sync very well.
Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by 'not very well'? From my experience it's very seamless and easy, just sign into your gmail account on the accounts section of the phone and it auto-syncs everything within just a few seconds.

-Autocorrect is terrible.
Again, can you elaborate on that? What's terrible about it, what don't you like about it? If you are use to iPhone where the autocorrect changes the word you are typing for you, this may be something that's different that what you are use to. In WP8 it gives you suggestions/options that you can choose for the word, instead of the phone automatically changing the word you are typing.

-I don't like IE on it at all.
Again, what don't you like about it? I know that it's a super fast web browser, has tab browsing, and there's zero lag using it on the Lumia 920 when navigating, zooming ,etc. I'm not sure what there is to not like about it.

-My battery life is only about a half day of little to no usage, even though nothing is running in the background.
How long have you had the phone and how many times have you fully charged it? Also, have you turned off the Nokia Drive background task (this is known to eat a lot of battery). Many people are reporting great improvements with battery life after charging them a few times/days. Of course it could be you just have a bad battery too.

-It's just plain too big. (Although the large screen is GREAT for browsing/games)
Not sure what to say, the phone was available to test in almost all AT&T stores that I know of, unless you ordered online. Still, there were (and still are) a ton of comparison reviews/videos and spec sheets for the Lumia 920 and iPhone5. If it's too big then it's too big, but this isn't something that suddenly sneaks up on you; it either is or is not the first time you get to hold it.

-Lack of quality in the majority of third-party apps.
What apps are you needing that you can't find? What apps did you find that weren't up to your quality standards or the quality of comparable apps on other app stores? There are most likely very good alternatives to what you are use to finding on the iPhone app store. WP8 has over 130,000 apps, I think that's 'enough', especially considering WP8 only has about 4% of the market compared to its' competitors.

-No VPN support and apparently no Citrix Receiver.
Can't comment on this one, I don't use VPN or Citrix (and yes I know what they both are, I just have no need for them on my smartphone at this time).

Personally, assuming you've only had the phone for at most a couple of days I don't think you've given yourself enough time to get use to the WP8 OS versus IOS. It's a different OS, but much faster, more integrated and constantly improving.

If you really do decide to go for the iPhone 5, you might want to make a list of what you want/need on the iPhone 5 and compare that list to the Lumia 920/WP8. And then figure out which phone actually has what you need. From the list of negatives you listed above, most of them are items that take time to get use to.

+1
Totally concur and share your thoughts. Especially on the last 2 paragraphs. Great write-out ;)

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Instead of returning the phone I opted for an exchange. Got the replacement yesterday and it's already SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

-I got a speck case so the phone is now very easy to grip and hold. No more slipping (though, it's not as good looking)
-The case also makes the camera button not stuck out. Instead it's sleek and soft rubber.
-The phone still disconnects/reconnects to wifi, but that's by design and will get fixed in an update.
-I setup my gmail account as Exchange and all syncing issues are now gone.
-Autocorrect still doesn't work very well but I'm learning to just type slower and more deliberately. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the keyboard. Hopefully, the more I type, the better it will become.
-IE still bugs me. The lack of back/forward buttons is frustrating. The recent feature does help though. Hopefully other browsers will help.
-The battery on my new phone is night and day better. It gets about 8 hours of constant usage (podcast playing, browsing, sending email, Facebook, SMS, gaming) where my old phone wouldn't even get that in standby. Seems like it would last from morning to night with lots of room to spare with normal usage.
-As weird as it sounds, adding the case really helped with the size. I don't know why, but it no longer feels too big. Perhaps because it isn't constantly slipping out of my hand anymore. The case also makes the corners less "edge".
-The last two issues are still a problem. Hopefully VPN gets added sooner rather than later.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
OP is a great example of someone who should have bought an iPhone in the first place. Buying a Windows Phone, expecting it to work/look/feel identical to an iPhone, and then ceaselessly complaining when it doesn't is silly.

If you're not willing to discard the 30-year-old desktop paradigm for something new, the iPhone is the very best of that prior-generation paradigm. WP's going to be very, very different in every way.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Please go return your Lumia 920. I am having trouble buying one :). Black, Cyan, and Gray are matte, while Red, White, and Yellow are glossy.

Last edited:

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I just wish it would correct my mistakes more often. When it works, it seems to be more accurate than iOS, but then there are times when it doesn't even try. Seems like it constantly breaks my typing rhythm. That is one of the things that I could get used to eventually, though. Coming from 4.5 years of iOS, I've built a familiarity with the iPhone keyboard. I feel way less productive on the 920 because of that.

The autocorrect improves as you use it. Day 1 is dodgy, but as you build your dictionary and usage it gets better each day. Yesterday I completely mashed this word 'ultrasound' that was completely unrecognizable, but the phone gave the correct suggestion because I had typed it several times before.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Well at least you didn't go to Android.

Sorry to hear the phone didn't meet your expectations. I have a hunch you will be back to Windows Phone sooner or later though. We'll leave the light on for ya. :cool:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Reading through this thread is funny.

OP didn't end up getting the iPhone, but people still responding like he did.

And even if he did, I would hope that we could respect others' opinions. All three of the main ecosystems have their strong points.

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
FYI - Citrix receiver is coming very soon, it's in preview right now.

That's good to know. We're implementing mid-late January. Sounds like it should be available then.
Well at least you didn't go to Android.

Sorry to hear the phone didn't meet your expectations. I have a hunch you will be back to Windows Phone sooner or later though. We'll leave the light on for ya. :cool:

Check my recent reply. I exchanged the phone for another and have had a much better experience. :lol:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Reading through this thread is funny.

OP didn't end up getting the iPhone, but people still responding like he did.

And even if he did, I would hope that we could respect others' opinions. All three of the main ecosystems have their strong points.

Whoops! LOL

We'll I said he'd be back.... it was just sooner than I'd expected. :D

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a new Lumia 920. and now i really get distracted :mad:. i love the phone but not the os. F@#k ME RIGHT? There are a lot of bug awaiting for microsoft to fix. maybe i gotta give it a try. or i'll just stay on android

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
phing, if you are uncertain I would hold off awhile. Honestly, all three big OS's (iOS, Android, WP8) are probably perfect in the eyes of the right person. If you really like Android, why jump? And if you wait a bit you may see some friends with WP8 and get the chance to explore it more. To me it is the best phone OS i Have used. But my wife and kids like iPhone, much as I hate to admit it...

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@mrgstiffler - You mentioned you are implementing in January. What are you implementing, some type of VDI solution? Are you a mobile device admin, Citrix admin, both?

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
@mrgstiffler - You mentioned you are implementing in January. What are you implementing, some type of VDI solution? Are you a mobile device admin, Citrix admin, both?

XenServer/Desktop/App. Getting a couple UCS blade chassis, 12 M3 blades and a NetApp sized to match. My official Citrix training starts sometime next month.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I always feel free to not do something, but I still do it because I can.

stiffler, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and take back my troll comment, but be aware there have been quite a few troll posts on these boards and you may want to consider what you want to accomplish with a post. If I went in the iPhone forum and posted 'Decided to return my iPhone 5 for a Lumia 920' I would probably get ripped up and down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss