Decided NOT to return my Lumia 920 for an iPhone 5

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to return my Lumia 920 tomorrow and pick up an iPhone 5 instead. The 920 is really a nice phone, but the small things have added up to be too much for me:

-The glossy back is too slick and makes holding the phone difficult.
-The camera button is right where I place my fingers when talking on the phone.
-The phone constantly disconnects/reconnects to wifi.
-Google mail doesn't sync very well.
-Autocorrect is terrible.
-I don't like IE on it at all.
-My battery life is only about a half day of little to no usage, even though nothing is running in the background.
-It's just plain too big. (Although the large screen is GREAT for browsing/games)
-Lack of quality in the majority of third-party apps.
-No VPN support and apparently no Citrix Receiver.

None of these problems by themselves would be enough to make me ditch the phone, but all of them together make it very frustrating to use. It was a very difficult decision to make since I've been looking forward to this phone for a very long time now. I finally realized that I've been making excuses for the shortcomings and the only reason I wanted to keep it was because it's gorgeous looking. The biggest thing I'm going to miss is the power button on the side. That's really smart placement.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Listen I've had several iPhones, including the 5 which is sitting on my desk. Jailbreaking is easy and really the only way to use the iphone. 3-4 days to me doesn't seem like WP was given a fair shake but his choice. I'm extremely satisfied with my 920 and my iPhone 5 will have a permanent home in my glove compartment (ipod connector in my audi)

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of any phone can do that and not sure why I would do so anyways. Is offline viewing a feature in WP8?

Plenty of YouTube apps let you download for offline viewing. My favorite is Supertube. Also, Flashvideo let you download full movies to the phone, even ones still in theatre. Also, UC Browser (an alternate web browser) lets you download web videos to phone.

Sorry but I get sick of posts like yours that only talk of negatives but completely ignore all the stuff the iPhone can't do. You gotta jailbreak your iPhone to do stuff WP does out of the box. Enjoy.

GT2010

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to return my Lumia 920 tomorrow and pick up an iPhone 5 instead. The 920 is really a nice phone, but the small things have added up to be too much for me:

-My battery life is only about a half day of little to no usage, even though nothing is running in the background.
-It's just plain too big. (Although the large screen is GREAT for browsing/games)

None of these problems by themselves would be enough to make me ditch the phone, but all of them together make it very frustrating to use. It was a very difficult decision to make since I've been looking forward to this phone for a very long time now. I finally realized that I've been making excuses for the shortcomings and the only reason I wanted to keep it was because it's gorgeous looking. The biggest thing I'm going to miss is the power button on the side. That's really smart placement.
Oh please cry me a river you apple fan boy go get your device then ihope:giggle: to see your face when your iphone 5 has scratches and battery too oh and also the purple camera pixel problem ,basically your an isheep and a troller so go fkc yourself
Lumia 920 eats the iphone 5
Go NOKIA :p

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I got a feeling the OP doesn't even own the 920 in the first place. His negatives list could be a consolidation of what he had read in this forum and he shamelessly presented it as his EXPERIENCE as a shortlived ownership.
Pathetic & trivia troll :(

homegeek

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I got a feeling the OP doesn't even own the 920 in the first place. His negatives list could be a consolidation of what he had read in this forum and he shamelessly presented it as his EXPERIENCE as a shortlived ownership.
Pathetic & trivia troll :(

Or maybe he did own it and has a different opinion then yours. I got the Cyan 920 and I am still on the fence myself about giving it up. Not everyone is going to like the phone or the OS. I myself love the phone but not the OS. I think IE has issues with several of the sites I visit and the app store is weak. I understand that the number of apps is going to be a lot less then Apple and Android but the quality of a lot of the apps is far below what you would see on the other phones.

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, so anyone who has a different opinion is a "******, isheep, troll"? Really? I don't like the phone and I posted reasons why I don't like it. Everybody has different tastes. One person's opinion isn't any better or worse than another's.

EDIT: Heh, nice timing on that post above me. Pretty much the exact same thing I was saying.

And as for actually owning the phone... I've posted pictures of it here...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah don't mind those few tards. Not everything works for everyone. The autocorrect can be turned off, first thing I did when I got my hands on a WP :D

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, looking at your reasons for leaving, i wonder why you even bothered buying a 920 in the first place.

Size, comfort, etc, you could have found out by just playing in the shop. Same with the app list. Spend about 10 minutes on the windowsphone marketplace, and you could have told the lack of VPN, and read reviews of the apps that matter to you.

That said, does sound like you got a dodgy unit, as my 920s battery easily lasts me a day, and my wifi is rock solid.

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah don't mind those few tards. Not everything works for everyone. The autocorrect can be turned off, first thing I did when I got my hands on a WP :D

I just wish it would correct my mistakes more often. When it works, it seems to be more accurate than iOS, but then there are times when it doesn't even try. Seems like it constantly breaks my typing rhythm. That is one of the things that I could get used to eventually, though. Coming from 4.5 years of iOS, I've built a familiarity with the iPhone keyboard. I feel way less productive on the 920 because of that.

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, looking at your reasons for leaving, i wonder why you even bothered buying a 920 in the first place.

I preordered it without checking it out in stores. It's such a nice phone that I figured I would instantly love it. I had also never used a Windows Phone before. I've gone from a Blackberry 7100i->Treo 700P->iPhone 3G->iPhone 4->Lumia 920.

That said, does sound like you got a dodgy unit, as my 920s battery easily lasts me a day, and my wifi is rock solid.

Really? Every time I lock my phone or leave it unused for awhile, it disconnects from my wifi. Then it seems to take awhile for it to reconnect. I've apparently used 800MB of data since Friday but have never been at a location without wifi.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Do you plan on getting a case for your iPhone? If so, why not get a case for the Lumia 920?

This seems odd, when I hold the phone the camera button is gently resting in the palm of my hand, but I can't actually press it without using a finger. Do you hold your phone at an unusual angle or do you wear gloves or something while talking on it?

This seems more like a bug or something, I haven't seen this issue posted before (I use wifi exclusively and never get disconnected). The closest thing to it is the known fact that wifi disconnects 30 seconds after the screen locks, but this is going to be 'fixed' in a future patch: Microsoft changing Windows Phone WiFi behaviour in future update | Windows Phone Central

Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by 'not very well'? From my experience it's very seamless and easy, just sign into your gmail account on the accounts section of the phone and it auto-syncs everything within just a few seconds.

Again, can you elaborate on that? What's terrible about it, what don't you like about it? If you are use to iPhone where the autocorrect changes the word you are typing for you, this may be something that's different that what you are use to. In WP8 it gives you suggestions/options that you can choose for the word, instead of the phone automatically changing the word you are typing.

Again, what don't you like about it? I know that it's a super fast web browser, has tab browsing, and there's zero lag using it on the Lumia 920 when navigating, zooming ,etc. I'm not sure what there is to not like about it.

How long have you had the phone and how many times have you fully charged it? Also, have you turned off the Nokia Drive background task (this is known to eat a lot of battery). Many people are reporting great improvements with battery life after charging them a few times/days. Of course it could be you just have a bad battery too.

Not sure what to say, the phone was available to test in almost all AT&T stores that I know of, unless you ordered online. Still, there were (and still are) a ton of comparison reviews/videos and spec sheets for the Lumia 920 and iPhone5. If it's too big then it's too big, but this isn't something that suddenly sneaks up on you; it either is or is not the first time you get to hold it.

What apps are you needing that you can't find? What apps did you find that weren't up to your quality standards or the quality of comparable apps on other app stores? There are most likely very good alternatives to what you are use to finding on the iPhone app store. WP8 has over 130,000 apps, I think that's 'enough', especially considering WP8 only has about 4% of the market compared to its' competitors.

Can't comment on this one, I don't use VPN or Citrix (and yes I know what they both are, I just have no need for them on my smartphone at this time).

Personally, assuming you've only had the phone for at most a couple of days I don't think you've given yourself enough time to get use to the WP8 OS versus IOS. It's a different OS, but much faster, more integrated and constantly improving.

If you really do decide to go for the iPhone 5, you might want to make a list of what you want/need on the iPhone 5 and compare that list to the Lumia 920/WP8. And then figure out which phone actually has what you need. From the list of negatives you listed above, most of them are items that take time to get use to.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Really? Every time I lock my phone or leave it unused for awhile, it disconnects from my wifi. Then it seems to take awhile for it to reconnect. I've apparently used 800MB of data since Friday but have never been at a location without wifi.

Thats expected behaviour. WP8 (and WP7 before it) automatically disconnects the wifi after the phone goes into standby (unless its on charge) to save the battery.

That said, Microsoft have said they are looking into changing this functionality, as soo many people moan about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise