Off-Contract Purchase Question

zukirin

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I apologize if this has been posted already, (I searched and haven't found anything in the past 3 pages of threads), but I was wondering what are your experiences in buying off-contract 920's? Is it a hit-or-miss thing where it varies on location/management? Or do they universally deny you buying one if you do not have any previous AT&T plans?

I am deciding between buying an off-contract 920 and use Straight Talk or just get an 810 on TMO. From what I've read it is better to buy it in-store at a Microsoft Retailer, however I do not have any Microsoft stores anywhere near me (Virginia Beach area). I haven't been able to visit a local AT&T as well to ask them personally.

Thanks!

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it varies from location to location.

I walked in and said, "I'd like to buy a black 920 at no-commintment pricing." - They handed one over.

Others though, have not been so fortunate... Just try. .. Or call?

eallan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it varies from location to location.

I walked in and said, "I'd like to buy a black 920 at no-commintment pricing." - They handed one over.

Others though, have not been so fortunate... Just try. .. Or call?

This was my experience as well. First he told me they were out of stock, but he was incorrect fortunately.

sugarsmax321

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
off contract purchase

This is what I'm currently doing. There are several internet GSM retailers that sell unlocked phones. You will need to do your research as there are a few 920's with varying frequencies. T-Mo is using the 1700, AT&T another. MVNO's are smaller affiliated service suppliers who resell AT&T lines at much cheaper prices. Examples of this would be Boost, Straight Talk, etc.
I googled top 10 prepaid cell services. That way I could compare their terms and rates across a single page, in addition to having the retailer website there if I chose to check further.
You also need to check your area for which carrier provides the best coverage. T-Mo has a great plan for smartphones, but the coverage in my location is below average right now. I found that AT&T has the best coverage for my needs. I did, however, decide to preorder a 920 that would work with T-Mo should their coverage here increase.
The next thing to check are the provider's sites for prepaid plans, once you have your top choices narrowed down. For example, I know I'll be using AT&T, at least at first, but not on their contract. They have another plan called GoPhone. I went to Amazon and purchased a microsim for AT&T. When I get my phone I'll put in the card to be able to activate my phone. I'll choose the unlimited everything plan, including data, for $65 a month, and I'll sign up for autorefill.
The nice thing about doing this is I'll use Googlephone for all my voice and texting needs. I have a number there that I'll give out as my number, and googlephone will allow me to forward that number to my 920. If I become unhappy with my service, I simply change carriers and get a new microsim. Then I just have to forward Googlephone to the new sim without having to make friends learn a new number.

Here are the websites I used. I preordered from New Negri Electronics - Your Trusted Source for High End Unlocked Wireless
GSM Nation | Unlocked and Contract-Free iPhone, Android, and Blackberry cell phones lists the compatability of the phone with your country's providers

I used AT&T, Verizon, Sprint , T-mobile New , Refurbished and Used Cell Phones; No Contract Cell Phone Plans, Flash and Unlock Cell Phone - www.beigephone.com - Everything cellphone. for cell provider information and googled "top 10 prepaid plan cell providers"
I also went to AT&T and T-Mo's websites for coverage and plan breakdowns, as well as Nokia.com's site for phone info and specs.
I wouldn't buy from AT&T because it'll be loaded with their crap and I didn't want that. I wanted a few more options as far as apps and providers goes.
I know this is long winded, but the benefits, for me at least, outweigh the cons when it comes to prepaid. I like the idea of no contract and choosing my own provider. Plus it should be half the price at least of my old Verizon contract!

zukirin

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all your inputs! I was definitely planning on trying myself when I had the time and decided to gather some opinions first so as to not get my hopes way too high lol.

A bigger thanks to you for taking time to type that very informative post. I especially appreciated the point about searching for signal strengths in my area as that was something I looked over.

As much as I would love an unlocked version, the price point is just out of my budget (heck the AT&T one is somewhat pushing it, not to mention that lack of colors).

sugarsmax321

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
np:) been saving for mine since June lol. a lot of people go to craigslist or ebay, buy an unlocked phone for under $50, and go prepaid that way. I don't usually pay attention to cells, but I plan on having the 920 for a few years and want it to last, especially with the rush to get LTE going nationwide. I see it as a phone that will bridge the gap into new technology and grow with it. Keep an eye on Sprint; they suck now, but just got bought by a powerful Chinese cellular company I think.

phonegeeks

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I apologize if this has been posted already, (I searched and haven't found anything in the past 3 pages of threads), but I was wondering what are your experiences in buying off-contract 920's? Is it a hit-or-miss thing where it varies on location/management? Or do they universally deny you buying one if you do not have any previous AT&T plans?

I am deciding between buying an off-contract 920 and use Straight Talk or just get an 810 on TMO. From what I've read it is better to buy it in-store at a Microsoft Retailer, however I do not have any Microsoft stores anywhere near me (Virginia Beach area). I haven't been able to visit a local AT&T as well to ask them personally.

Thanks!

I bought my factory unlocked version from gsmnation.com. You do not have to have an AT&T plan or whatsoever to buy an unlocked version. I have previously bought phones with this store and they make sure that the phone that they're selling is compatible with your network before they take your money. Use the link to compatibility finder that sugarsmax321 posted to ensure that your phone is compatible with your network.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss