Well at least I tried to buy a 920...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been a Nokia ****** for many years... It is with pain that I see the troubles that Nokia has been going through the last couple years. September 5th when Nokia announced the Lumia 920, I was excited, but, hesitant.. I had been using a Nokia N9 and was not a fan of the WP move..

I spent some time researching and figured I would give Nokia the benefit of the doubt. It was really on the fence about what my next smartphone would be... Would it be the iPhone 5 or the Lumia 920? I was convinced I would give the Lumia 920 a try... Exactly what Nokia/Microsoft needed from a guy like me... On the fence.. Wanting the latest in tech..

It was frustrating that no release date was announced, or, carrier availability, but, I figured this information was soon to be released as Nokia and Microsoft NEEDED to nail this launch..

September 12th rolls around and Apple announces the iPhone 5 with pre-orders starting on Sep 14th and deliveries Sep 21st - Full pricing announced as well.

While I know the iPhone 5 is NOT the most revolutionary device, it is without a doubt the largest competitor to the Lumia 920. Nokia/Microsoft NEEDED to convince iPhone 4/4s users to upgrade from their iPhone's to the Lumia 920 .. heck, they even launched a "Time to Swtich" campaign.. Nokia/Microsoft were serious about this!

I figured which the typical swiftness of Apple, Nokia would now HAVE to give us something release wise ... Newp.

Sep 20st rolls around and I'm so angry that as a guy who WANTS to buy the Nokia phone, I have no idea when it's coming.. But.. Nokia finally announces that it would be on Rogers in Canada and exclusive to AT&T in the US. I'm on Bell.... What does this mean? Will I get an unlocked one? I'm so tired of the uncertainty..

Sep 21st I wake up and make the rash decision to just go buy an iPhone 5... If Nokia/Microsoft are going to make it so hard for me to buy their product, why should I give them my money? I stumble down to a Bell store and walk out with a shiny 64GB iPhone 5.. No line.. No wait.. Bought at FULL price ($899 + Apple Care).

A couple months go by and Nokia/Microsoft finally decide they are going to launch their Lumia 920.. The excitement from the tech world has started to fizzle.. The LG Nexus 4 has been announced (with shipping dates).. A few Lumia 920's start to make it out into the wild in Canada in some weird Rogers launch.. I'm excited!! They are shipping!! ... Or not..

I see the AT&T launch happen and people are LINING up to buy their phones.. This is awesome!! I start really doubting my iPhone 5 purchase..

Screw it I say.. I'm going to buy a Lumia 920 and sell my iPhone... Oh but wait.. It's locked to Rogers or AT&T.. Hmm.. No sweat.. Rogers is apparently shipping theirs unlocked.. If not, it appears that the Rogers ones may be unlockable early..

Today I sit typing this as a Canadian currently in San Francisco... I call the Microsoft store to see if I can potentially buy an unlocked world version.. Doesn't exist..

The Rogers "launch" happened yesterday .. I called various Rogers stores and half the places don't even seem to know what a Lumia 920 is, not to mention when it will ACTUALLY be released.. Oh .. And then it must be in black...

Here I am... A mobile fanatic who is willing to spend FULL MSRP on a Lumia 920, but, I have no channel in which to buy one. These "exclusive" deals that Nokia has swung with the carriers is such a HUGE mistake.

I'm sorry Nokia, but, the Lumia 920 is not creating the demand that the first few iPhones did.. You can't try and be Apple at this point... You need to play small ball and ensure that the people who want your device, can obtain it with the least resistance ... Why? Because there is an Apple store in every damn mall in the world tempting those buyers away.

I'm done with exerting any more effort in an attempt to give Nokia/Microsoft my money. I wanted your product and you won't sell it to me. I'm keeping my iPhone. If you want me to buy your phone YOU can come to my house with a phone in hand and a credit card machine.

I'm sure I'm one of many... One of many that Nokia/Microsoft needs to convert to succeed in the nimble mobile space.

This launch was so poorly executed when the entire Nokia organization is dependant on a successful launch here. As a Nokia stockholder, I just don't have confidence in this organization to execute anymore.

At least I tried.. Thanks for reading my rant.

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say purchasing the Lumia 920 has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to deal with! As soon as I quit and told AT&T to just cancel my order they shipped it.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess, it's the same in every country. I have been trying to buy a Lumia 920, every Nokia shop is giving different dates and prices. Some of them didn't even know what a Lumia 920 was, when i visited few days ago.

I have my money ready, i am ready to purchase, the phone is actually released but they are not going to sell it to me, because they claim they don't have any Lumia 920's yet.

In the mean time, HTC 8X is for sale everywhere already.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have already placed my order for an unlocked 920, it was supposed to ship out yesterday and now the store called me and told me the unlocked version is delayed in europe and they cant give a definite date.

In my opinion this is one of the worst comeback launch ever by Nokia an Microsoft. In fact Microsoft did a much better job with the launch of the surface tablet.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have already placed my order for an unlocked 920, it was supposed to ship out yesterday and now the store called me and told me the unlocked version is delayed in europe and they cant give a definite date.

In my opinion this is one of the worst comeback launch ever by Nokia an Microsoft. In fact Microsoft did a much better job with the launch of the surface tablet.

Agreed 100%. This has been nothing short of pitiful. What color did you order?

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia is lucky my love for them is beaten only by my flaming hatred of Apple products, and my deep lack of care for Android. I'm not sweating it, though, because I've been through some really horrible launches (Dell Venue Pro 2010), and this is just a matter of waiting.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
As someone who has had his red 920 for a few days now, I can only offer sympathy and encouragement to HANG IN THERE if you haven't already decided to go elsewhere.

This is a beautiful, beautiful phone. The display is right up there with best-of-the-best, Windows Phone 8 is silky smooth and significantly more capable than 7.5, Dolby Digital and the equalizer make for top-notch sound (at least in the world of cell phones), and as long as you are tolerant of larger phones the hand-feel and craftsmanship (with the usual small % of problem units of course!) is top notch. You KNOW it's a premium phone when you hold it.

I hope you persist and get your own Lumia sooner rather than later. Compare a few more days/couple weeks of frustration to the MONTHS & MONTHS (if not years) that will follow when you have the exact device you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte