Question about WIFI

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
When i put my phone's screen to sleep, and the screen is off and Wifi is turned on.

When i WAKE it back up it looks like the wifi is reconnecting.. is that just a visual thing? or is the wifi literally disconnecting then re connecting every single time?

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
When i put my phone's screen to sleep, and the screen is off and Wifi is turned on.

When i WAKE it back up it looks like the wifi is reconnecting.. is that just a visual thing? or is the wifi literally disconnecting then re connecting every single time?
WiFi turns off when the screen goes off. That's why you're seeing it reconnect when you turn the screen back on. The exception to this is if an app is actively using WiFi (example: to stream music), it stays on even when the screen turns off.
I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft is working to offer users the option to keep WiFi turned on even when the screen is off, but I could be mistaken (or it may have been a rumor).

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
WiFi turns off when the screen goes off. That's why you're seeing it reconnect when you turn the screen back on. The exception to this is if an app is actively using WiFi (example: to stream music), it stays on even when the screen turns off.
I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft is working to offer users the option to keep WiFi turned on even when the screen is off, but I could be mistaken (or it may have been a rumor).

Wow thanks for the response...

that is insanely bad.. how could this not be a default thing.. i'm willing to bet this is a key player to Windows Phone's battery issues.. here i was thinking when i was on Wifi all day i was really on Wifi..

I mean when my phone's screen is turned off. and syncing in the background like getting emails and stuff that's using DATA then isn't it?

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site

that is insanely bad.. how could this not be a default thing.. i'm willing to bet this is a key player to Windows Phone's battery issues.. here i was thinking when i was on Wifi all day i was really on Wifi..

I mean when my phone's screen is turned off. and syncing in the background like getting emails and stuff that's using DATA then isn't it?
That's right - email syncing, etc., while the screen is off, eats into the data plan. I think the rationale behind turning WiFi off was to conserve battery, but they have to change their stance on that since a lot of users prefer leaving WiFi on to avoid using data.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

It's good for the battery to turn off wifi when it's locked. My iPhone does the same.

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

It's good for the battery to turn off wifi when it's locked. My iPhone does the same.

I'm just curious.. and from a technical stand point i'm trying to understand this logically..

How is it good again for the battery for Wifi to put turned off when the screen is off? when Wifi SAVES battery life when it's being used VS data.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it's the notion that constantly powering two components requires more battery than powering just one. So, when your phone isn't being used (meaning - screen is off and there's nothing actively streaming), there's little reason to keep two components powered. This way, anything that requires brief data (email sync, etc.) would be handled by your 3G/4G radio that's always on. At least, that's how I make sense out of it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb