Im all for a 3rd eco system...Now how can we help WP8?

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
We all know that the only down side to WP8 is the lackluster app selection. The only way to help overcome this is by increasing WP8 market share. I know this sounds silly but why cant we start our own 'ads' that help spread the word on how awesome WP8 and the Lumia 920 really is? There's tons of people showing off their iPhones which helps Apple gain popularity...we should do the same. Im sure you guys have social networks or some might even have blogs. Posting a simple pic with our lovely new 920 in one hand and a clever caption saying how awesome the phone really is might persuade our friends to go and buy one. It might not be a ton of publicity but it might help even if just a little bit. What do you guys think? Is this a crazy idea?

Hypetrak

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've posted a few photos of the 920 on my blog. However the blog (Tumblr) is full of hipsters and you know what they like? Apples.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Truth be told there are a lot of apps pouring onto the platform. Most everything major is already available, or in officially in the works. I have heard the 500k apps on Android, 1million+ on iOS, etc. but keep in mind windows phone does apps a little differently. Where there are "trials" and "lite" versions on Android and iOS, counting as 2+ apps (when considering the paid for version), Windows apps are all one app, with a trial version accessible from the same app page if the dev decides to make it so. Let's also consider how many of those million apps are actually good and, more importantly, unique apps. Android and iOS have a plethora of apps that share functionality. I can;t remember how may flashlite apps I sifted through and tried on iOS. At the end of the day they all do the same thing, just with a slightly different GUI. It is true that there are duplicates, in this sense, on WP too, but it hasn't become nearly as bad yet (though I am sure it will). Microsoft also made it simple to code for W8 and WP* at the same time; that is to say, write once, compile twice, and you have an app on two different OS's with very little additional effort. I am sure that is going to help the brand tremendously.

By all means, talk up the platform. Windows certainly needs it. But having used so many platforms, I can say that lack of apps isn't really hurting windows phone. At least not in a productivity sense. When you have ignorant ****** saying "but my platform has 21873612783612735127645124 apps more than yours", use that time to educate them. Anyone else, that looks at the store objectively, will realize that there is almost certainly an app for everything they did on their previous OS. If not, it is probably in the works.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Truth be told there are a lot of apps pouring onto the platform. Most everything major is already available, or in officially in the works. I have heard the 500k apps on Android, 1million+ on iOS, etc. but keep in mind windows phone does apps a little differently. Where there are "trials" and "lite" versions on Android and iOS, counting as 2+ apps (when considering the paid for version), Windows apps are all one app, with a trial version accessible from the same app page if the dev decides to make it so. Let's also consider how many of those million apps are actually good and, more importantly, unique apps. Android and iOS have a plethora of apps that share functionality. I can;t remember how may flashlite apps I sifted through and tried on iOS. At the end of the day they all do the same thing, just with a slightly different GUI. It is true that there are duplicates, in this sense, on WP too, but it hasn't become nearly as bad yet (though I am sure it will). Microsoft also made it simple to code for W8 and WP* at the same time; that is to say, write once, compile twice, and you have an app on two different OS's with very little additional effort. I am sure that is going to help the brand tremendously.

By all means, talk up the platform. Windows certainly needs it. But having used so many platforms, I can say that lack of apps isn't really hurting windows phone. At least not in a productivity sense. When you have ignorant ****** saying "but my platform has 21873612783612735127645124 apps more than yours", use that time to educate them. Anyone else, that looks at the store objectively, will realize that there is almost certainly an app for everything they did on their previous OS. If not, it is probably in the works.

While I agree with you that there are decent apps on wp that allow you to basically do the same stuff as other phones, it's the niche apps that are the problem. Where's pandora, a mainstream app that's been out on every platform except wp. Even my car radio has it built in. It's not just this app...I'm sure there are more. Instagram, hair clips, Nissan mobile, jiffy lube....it's these small apps that are for niche markets that make the platform that much better. Alone these apps don't matter but when you bundle them together you realize just what this platform is missing. And the reason no one considers building for wp is because of low market share that keeps dropping. Wp went from around 5% to 3% as if that wasn't low enough. Why would a company waste resources on creating an app if only a few hundred might download it compared to thousands. If we increase market share we get better apps because developers will see it as a benefit to them. Only then will we finally see Hulu plus, instagram, pandora, and all these other apps that might look silly but in reality make the platform that much better.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Theres other way to help wp...we can all create positive posts on amazon, cnet, gdgt, Walmart, etc...that will persuade others to even consider a wp8 device. I'm just brainstorming here but I'm sure you guys can come up with better ideas. Maybe make an extremely silly YouTube video that goes viral that showcases the phone? Or possibly make a meme and post it on reddit...just some of my thoughts

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This may sound harsh, but sometimes I feel like WP isn't doing enough to help itself. Sales reps, even at the Microsoft Store, seem to know so little about the platform. The people directly communicating with consumers just aren't as passionate about the platform as we are. And then you have debacles like this Lumia 920 launch, though that's probably more on Nokia...

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This may sound harsh, but sometimes I feel like WP isn't doing enough to help itself. Sales reps, even at the Microsoft Store, seem to know so little about the platform. The people directly communicating with consumers just aren't as passionate about the platform as we are. And then you have debacles like this Lumia 920 launch, though that's probably more on Nokia...

There is lots to be angry about towards AT&T/Nokia/Microsoft, but I really, really want this platform to survive. I am honestly that tired of ios. I miss those days of getting excited to receive a new phone because it was actually completely new. The last few iPhones...even though I knew it was a new phone I was tired of it before I got it because I already knew exactly how it will look and work. I want this platform to survive to help create competition even if it means sticking through the painful downfalls of AT&T/Nokia/Microsoft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans