Nokia Maps is a giant step backwards

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't get any local traffic data, only freeway here in the Los Angeles, CA area.

Same here. I ended up creating a contact called "Maps" that is just my home address and I pinned that to the start screen. That way in 2 taps I can get to the old Bing Maps app which DOES show traffic. Living in LA traffic info is very important!

-R

Last edited by a moderator:

dht1986

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Traffic data doesn't display. This is my biggest problem. I used to have traffic on highways only and no local streets but now I have none at all.

This is what I don't understand, and am curious to hear more of your experiences with this. I tried the Nokia maps app in about 5 different stores -- some AT&T some Microsoft, and I've yet to see the Maps app properly update traffic conditions. At first I thought that the demo phone in the first store I was at was faulty, but the experience seems to be consistent. When I try the app I get some color in a few spots indicating traffic, but thats it. When I do the same thing with Google Maps on my old iPhone 4, it quickly shows lots of detail with traffic conditions. Like some people have mentioned, if you click a contact, and then use the old Bing maps app, there does not seem to be a problem. Interestingly, I recently downloaded the new Here app for my iPhone, and it does in fact show complete traffic conditions, albeit not on side streets.

I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about this, since it would seem to be a major flaw / bug with the new Nokia Maps. Checking traffic is one thing I do frequently on my iPhone, and I'm hesitant to make the switch to the Lumia if I won't be able to properly do this.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is what I don't understand, and am curious to hear more of your experiences with this. I tried the Nokia maps app in about 5 different stores -- some AT&T some Microsoft, and I've yet to see the Maps app properly update traffic conditions. At first I thought that the demo phone in the first store I was at was faulty, but the experience seems to be consistent. When I try the app I get some color in a few spots indicating traffic, but thats it. When I do the same thing with Google Maps on my old iPhone 4, it quickly shows lots of detail with traffic conditions. Like some people have mentioned, if you click a contact, and then use the old Bing maps app, there does not seem to be a problem. Interestingly, I recently downloaded the new Here app for my iPhone, and it does in fact show complete traffic conditions, albeit not on side streets.

I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about this, since it would seem to be a major flaw / bug with the new Nokia Maps. Checking traffic is one thing I do frequently on my iPhone, and I'm hesitant to make the switch to the Lumia if I won't be able to properly do this.
This is the problem...NOTHING in Nokia Maps is ever accurate. I'm flabbergasted at just how awful it truly is. The worst thing is that Maps and Drive almost always map a less than optimal route to your destination. I've put in multiple destinations in which I knew what the best route was and without fail, Nokia suggested a bad route each time. This is one poorly executed app.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

You won't hear that much about it because Nokia owners don't want to feel buyers remorse. I have the Lumia 920, really like the phone but am willing to state that Nokia Maps is a total failure of an app in the USA. I don't know if it's a problem with the app or the backend that powers it but I don't get any street traffic. I am using gmaps pro for now, but it's sad that a third party app by one dude totally wipes Nokia Maps. I just wish Nokia would re-enable the original Windows Phone Maps app. It loads super fast and does everything needed. I know ALL the ways to get access to the app, but I'd still rather have it re-enabled totally in the apps list so I can start it directly.

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1) Touch your search button on the bottom right of your phone
2) Search for any location, business, etc using they keyboard or your voice.
2b) If you need to find a specific address, just open the nokia drive app and use 'set destination'.
2c) If you want to use a contact address, open the contact, hold on the address and choose 'copy'. Open Nokia Drive, use "set destination" and paste the address into the search box.

3) Once you have selected your destination, the 'about' page will open. Touch the 'Drive' option on that screen.
4) Nokia Drive automatically opens up, finds your location and maps your route, immediately starting the navigation process via voice directions.

It's so extremely easy to use and YES it is integrated into your search button on the bottom right of your phone.

Nokia Drive even tells you when you are exceeding the speed limit for the road you are on (you can adjust this setting in nokia drive settings).

I just wish it was all integrated like Bing maps was. One click on the address, and one click on directions and it was set

dht1986

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
You won't hear that much about it because Nokia owners don't want to feel buyers remorse. I have the Lumia 920, really like the phone but am willing to state that Nokia Maps is a total failure of an app in the USA. I don't know if it's a problem with the app or the backend that powers it but I don't get any street traffic. I am using gmaps pro for now, but it's sad that a third party app by one dude totally wipes Nokia Maps. I just wish Nokia would re-enable the original Windows Phone Maps app. It loads super fast and does everything needed. I know ALL the ways to get access to the app, but I'd still rather have it re-enabled totally in the apps list so I can start it directly.

Its just shocking really that a critical app like this could be put out there on a flagship device, with such obvious flaws. It would be really demoralizing for me if I had to resort to using a no-name third party app to do the basic things that my two year old smartphone currently does without a problem.

I've seen some messages here from people saying that the app does work better outside of the US. Does traffic update on Nokia Maps work well for anyone here?

Arlo Gilbert

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my 920 now for a few weeks and my 2 cents here in Dallas, TX is that it seems to do a fine job. Traffic data is accurate, maps load quickly. The only complaint I have is the brief loading screen when it launches.

Not an apologist or ****** but this Windows phone 8 has been out for about 2 weeks folks, it works fine, give Nokia and Microsoft a little time to work out the kinks.

My only (snarky) comments to anybody is to the guy who was upset that when going to the Cleveland Browns stadium, to him I say two things:
1) I envisioned Forest Gump when the band has to tell Forest to stop running... I have to imagine the stadium is pretty darned big, you need to know that you've gone too far if you pass another road?
2) Why are you going to watch the Browns anyways? :D

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You won't hear that much about it because Nokia owners don't want to feel buyers remorse.
Meanwhile we are on page four of the "Nokia Maps is a Giant Step Backwards" thread. Did I miss something? People are complaining. It's just that maps issues aren't as noticable to as many people as say, random reboots, battery problems, etc. all of which have multi-dozen page threads. Nothing to do with people's buyer's remorse...

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my 920 now for a few weeks and my 2 cents here in Dallas, TX is that it seems to do a fine job. Traffic data is accurate, maps load quickly. The only complaint I have is the brief loading screen when it launches.

Not an apologist or ****** but this Windows phone 8 has been out for about 2 weeks folks, it works fine, give Nokia and Microsoft a little time to work out the kinks.

My only (snarky) comments to anybody is to the guy who was upset that when going to the Cleveland Browns stadium, to him I say two things:
1) I envisioned Forest Gump when the band has to tell Forest to stop running... I have to imagine the stadium is pretty darned big, you need to know that you've gone too far if you pass another road?
2) Why are you going to watch the Browns anyways? :D

Do you get local street traffic or just highway traffic?

Arlo Gilbert

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
It only shows traffic when it's not "clear"... by that I mean that if there isn't a slow down it just appears as a normal map whereas on Google maps and others people may be accustomed to seeing green for "all clear". Right now I don't see any traffic warnings for anything but a few highways, I'll check again at rush hour and see what it does.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I picked up 4 920s on launch day. 2 of the phones went to my wife's parents. They are first time smart phone users. My mother-in-law is familiar/comfortable with her garmin. At first I tried to get her to set it down and use the phone. After a few attempts at racing her to find something, i realized that nokia maps really does suck and gave up on that push. Nokia does have a horrible UI compared to the built in maps app. She got confused when I had her search within maps and also searching from bing search. At that point I didn't realize that it was using the old map app and not the nokia maps app. It's a major issue even if you don't think it is. Try explaining the difference to people who are overwhelmed with their new tools.

I posted my .02 in the nokia conversations drive thread. It seems they are pleased with the UI, so I wouldn't hold your breath for them to adhere to the design guidelines set by MS. All I wanted from the old maps is auto spoken turn by turn, that is all :( Now we have a clunky app like drive. The app is in beta, I know this and I'm a developer so I'll give them some free points. Although, I'm concerned that Drive is still beta at this point. They need to be rolling a new release every week with new features. I've heard that the iOS app is better than the windows phone one....

The simple solution for MS is to make directions work like the new protocol handler in windows phone 8. That way clicking an address would let you pick an app that knows how to handle an address. This would make 3rd party mapping/navigation apps more usable within the OS.

buyrihn

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The old (WP7.5) maps was one of my "most-favoritest" features. Why the childlike grammar? Because I felt like a child with the wonderment of excitement I felt with the old maps.

The old maps looked at your route and told you if there was congestion on a freeway or street, and how much there was. It told you that your destination was on the left or the right, and it told you what the last intersection was before your destination. The old 7.5 maps also told you that if you passed "X" street, you had gone too far. It told you the landmark that was on a corner, so you wouldn't miss a turn. In a word, the old maps was "absolutelyfreakinamazinganditsgreatnesshouldbecopied".

Was it perfect? No. But I can't emphasize how much these few features changed my driving experience?I felt comfortable using those maps?like the directions wouldn't lead me astray, and more importantly, they kept my eyes off my phone. Instead, I was looking out for the last street before my destination, or that Burger King on the corner that was like a giant beacon advising me to "turn right". The new maps? It's "eh".

Did you know the new maps (on any of the WP8 platforms) don't give driving directions? Even the Nokia phones with Drive won't recognize that there is a navigation app installed (in Drive), and they send you to the App Store. I just bought my Lumia 920 today, and I'm not excited anymore. The Nexus 4 with Google Now excites me, but so far? I'm underwhelmed. And without the wonderful maps app, I'm lost.

alex2364

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It only shows traffic when it's not "clear"... by that I mean that if there isn't a slow down it just appears as a normal map whereas on Google maps and others people may be accustomed to seeing green for "all clear". Right now I don't see any traffic warnings for anything but a few highways, I'll check again at rush hour and see what it does.

Stop spreading false information. Not only are there green lines missing, there are orange and red lines missing as well.

wp_ss_20121128_0003.png

wp_ss_20121128_0001.png

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Slow Performance
Nokia maps loads much slower and is much choppier when panning the map than Windows Phone Maps. Nokia maps takes 4 seconds to load vs pretty much instant for Windows Phone maps.

Did you download the maps to your phone beforehand?

Not sure if you HAVE to do that or not... hm...

Personally I enjoyed Nokia Maps on the N8, it helped me get through 3 weeks of driving through Europe.

I dont have a problem with it personally on my 920 either. But that being said, Im not a huge map-user unless Im out travelling abroad or REALLY drunk with no idea where I am. And historically, Nokia Maps has always done that job well for me.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough for me in downtown Boston Nokia maps is returning better POI results. I work near Faneuil Hall, and when I search "thai food", Nokia maps correctly shows Rock Sugar and a couple others nearby. Bing maps finds nothing. I then searched for a nearby (somewhat new) restaurant "Anthem", and Nokia Maps found it and Bing maps did not.

Bing maps is definitely more refined in UI and traffic info, but I think I'll stick with Nokia maps since it's POI info seems to be a little more up-to-date, at least for where I am.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
More nit picking!:smile:

Hate the way that the spell Favorites...Favourites! Next thing they will spell color...colours! That should change the spelling based upon regions!

Fast app resume for Windows Phone 8
. Windows Phone 8 introduces the ability for apps to request that user actions that would typically relaunch the app, such as tapping the app’s Start Tile, instead resume the suspended instance of the suspended app instance, if one exists. This feature is called Fast Resume.
It looks like Nokia Drive doesn't implement this. When a user picks the app (that was already running) from their start screen or app list the app is supposed to pick up where it left off...not the...loading/resume screen.

UI
It just doesnt look as nice as the iOS/Google/Bing maps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077