Nokia Maps is a giant step backwards

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you know the new maps (on any of the WP8 platforms) don't give driving directions? Even the Nokia phones with Drive won't recognize that there is a navigation app installed (in Drive), and they send you to the App Store. I just bought my Lumia 920 today, and I'm not excited anymore. The Nexus 4 with Google Now excites me, but so far? I'm underwhelmed. And without the wonderful maps app, I'm lost.

I don't know what you mean by this. If Drive is installed then clicking Drive from Bing search results automatically launches the Drive app. It does not send you to the app store.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 main complaints about Nokia maps:

1. It's sluggish. Zooming out even a little and panning is laggy.
2. I live in NYC and the app doesn't show which subway lines stop at each station! This is vital! It just shows a little icon for each station, that's it.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can say zooming and panning is laggy in any way. If you have downloaded the state map to your phone you can zoom in and out and pan to different cities as fast as you can possibly move your fingers and it renders instantly. Are you telling me iOS or Google maps are faster?

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 main complaints about Nokia maps:

1. It's sluggish. Zooming out even a little and panning is laggy.
2. I live in NYC and the app doesn't show which subway lines stop at each station! This is vital! It just shows a little icon for each station, that's it.

For 2:
Open Maps
Hit the "Layer" button on the bottom right corner to bring up Map Options
Select Public Transit
Subway Lines!

They're even color coded which is great

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
From conversations.nokia, Pino states with regard to a turn list: "We might implement a list of directions in the future, but we would also like to know why you need them if you are going to get voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation anyway: isn't the map overview enough? If you miss the list so much, you can always calculate the route first on Nokia Maps and from there start the Nokia Drive navigation."

That is the battle ^ Right now the HTC 8x is the more polished phone, not to mention how small it feels in your hand compared to the 920. I'm not getting rid of my 920 because I hope things will turn around with nokia. I think the 8x might be the best all around phone right now.

I believe the teams at Nokia are very similar to MS. They hear us, but they have their own grand plan instead of listening. I have realized that my Nokia stock purchase will not be making me rich any time soon as they can't seem to deliver a complete solution on anything right now. I have a hard time of being critical without sounding too harsh of both Microsoft and Nokia. I know the developers are people just like me with bosses that often just don't get it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
From conversations.nokia, Pino states with regard to a turn list: "We might implement a list of directions in the future, but we would also like to know why you need them if you are going to get voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation anyway: isn't the map overview enough? If you miss the list so much, you can always calculate the route first on Nokia Maps and from there start the Nokia Drive navigation."
Wow. It was somewhat unsettling to read "isn't the map overview enough?" Of course it's not! I have a standalone Garmin GPS on my car and even though it gives me voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation, I still have the option of pressing the top of the screen and seeing the list of directions. Garmin gets it. Why can't Nokia (or HERE, for that matter)?

BTW, Pino's "If you miss the list so much..." statement makes him sound like a jerk.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I love Nokia Maps, they are way faster to use than google maps/apples maps or any service I tried previous. I just wanted to order some take-out from my favorite place which I haven't bothered saving the phone number for, pressing "find nearby places" and then just pressing the number to call them was done in 10 seconds.

anon(5348413)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It only shows traffic when it's not "clear"... by that I mean that if there isn't a slow down it just appears as a normal map whereas on Google maps and others people may be accustomed to seeing green for "all clear". Right now I don't see any traffic warnings for anything but a few highways, I'll check again at rush hour and see what it does.

This may be how they intended it, but it's not accurate. I can do side by side Bing, gmaps, and nokia maps. Nokia maps will show me NO TRAFFIC info at all where gmaps and bing shows It congested. I've zoomed all over the US and seen not a lick of traffic data since my first week with the phone when it stopped reporting for even major highways. I'm in Northern VA. At no time should I ever open it and not see some red somewhere. Or even orange.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm in northern VA as well. I'm sticking with Inrix. Hopefully that app gets updated to use the new map api soon. That's assuming that the app just overlays onto bing maps currently.

anon(5348413)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I dunno what the deal is. Before the 920 was released all I heard was how damn good Nokia Maps was. Everything about it. Now that I have the 920 and I'm using it, there is nothing about it that is better than google maps. Maybe I'm just spoiled but I'm not sure what aspect of Nokia maps is better than google maps. Even people that previously used bing maps are disappointed. Anything and everything that has to do with mapping or locating anything is so tightly integrated into google maps it's so simple. With Nokia it's a lack of information and multiple apps to achieve what you could do in just one app on android. I love this phone but damn I'm so disappointed in the Nokia map bundle.

dht1986

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I literally got the same exact depiction when I tried to look at traffic around NYC. I thought it was something with the phone I was testing at the AT&T store, but there is clearly something wrong with Maps in general. Very disappointing that they could ship phones with such an obvious flaw.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded a new version of Nokia Maps that came out today. It seems to load much faster. Still no local traffic amongst many other issues.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I need the list of directions as well, even though I am on a voice guided turn by turn. I am new to WPs, and from what I have seen, I cannot open NOkia maps from emails or people Hub? Its ridiculous. Even Steve Balmer was talking about Nokia Maps during launch, and Nokia maps is not integrated? Just to be clear, I am happy with the maps. Its just the minor imperfections that are present. If MS and Nokia sit down and listen, as they have been doing in the past, I am sure this platform will just get better.

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've used Nokia maps for a few years now on my old e71x, and I loved them! I don't care for directions, traffic, or any other gimmicky stuff, I just want to use them to find addresses, and to figure out where I'm at. I've only had the phone for a week, and I noticed this weekend, after using the maps on the road, it doesn't update my location as well as it did on my old phone. I mean, I'm driving around downtown Orlando and the dot shows me a block away from my actual location, that's not good. Not sure if it had to do with the GPS connection or updates to the program, but I wasn't very happy.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe the teams at Nokia are very similar to MS. They hear us, but they have their own grand plan instead of listening.

You have to remember they have potentially millions of users of the WP8 navigation, just because something is a massive issue to you, doesn't mean its an issue to everybody, you may be in a minority.

The primary objective is to get the basic satnav experience (ie the map overview) working, quickly, accurately, without eating the battery. Once that is bulletproof, they can then worry about all the other things that people want.

From what i've seen, the Map data itself is pretty good (the road i work in, has been around for like 7 years, yet still doesn't appear on Googlemaps, but is on Nokia maps)

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You can reclaim the bing map with a new app shortcut. Its called "maps." There is a QR code on this site as well (see below). Works perfectly and I like having the option of using both Nokia maps and Bing maps when I want.

Reclaim Bing Maps on your Lumia device with 'Maps' for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Daily

Just FYI, the maps are the same. They look the same, you can download them, they render the same. Bing maps, the old Bing maps, is no longer. They collaborated with Nokia to make this new mapping. The only difference between "Nokia Maps" and "Bing Maps" are when you search for something or use the traffic. Points of interest (aka restaurants, businesses, etc) in the Bing maps app uses Bing search and results. Nokia's app uses their own search engine and points of interest, so it will bring back different results when you search for something. Traffic is also different between the two. If you live in the US, you should pretty much stick to Bing as Nokia's points of interest are not as good here. Traffic is better as well. Overseas it seems Nokia's search data is much better. However, routing to a specific address that you enter will be exactly the same between the two no matter where you are.

tmservo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. In comparison to Apple Maps, it's a considerable improvement, I noticed that right away. So far, at least here in Kansas City, it's been directions flawless for me so I don't have any other point of reference. How it works out for you where you are may be different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss