Can ANYONE connect a device to the 920 (Internet Sharing)?

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue and found an advanced setting in Windows under the network setting that said Enable FIPS. I did that and it started working.

Ant177

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
This isn't an issue with what contract people are on, there is an issue with Internet Sharing. It is likely to be OS related since it affects several different handsets (I have seen reports for the 8X and the 920 with personal experience on the 8X).
There is another thread about it here and more importantly a thread on the Microsoft community forum here
I would suggest that people who experience this issue with Windows Phone 8 vote on the topic in the Microsoft Community forum so that it is more visible to Microsoft.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be a Mac thing - after the recent updates I hoped it got fixed but the issue is still present. I can't use internet sharing at all with my MBP. It connects, works for a minute, then disconnects. Then it just keeps on disconnecting every couple of minutes.

I don't need a tethering plan here - and tethering works well with the iPhone 5.

Last edited:

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lame, att set it so if I try, it starts to activate then checks with them and says I need to call 611 to activate (pay more) for it. I have a 3 gb plan. Pretty ****ty.

Brent920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue and found an advanced setting in Windows under the network setting that said Enable FIPS. I did that and it started working.

I haven't been able to connect to my Windows 8 laptop at all even though I could connect my Vista & Windows 7 computers first time.

Went to properties > Advanced and turned on FIPS.

Now my Windows 8 laptop connects!!!!!! It's a Windows 8 problem and not the phone! :)

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T and I use Internet Sharing with my Surface almost every day for hours at a time. I have never had a problem and when I have 5 bars with LTE it is very fast, faster than most public Wi-Fi hotspots.

Scipio Magnus

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Saw the Title and decided to try it, I am typing this on my laptop connected to the internet from my Lumia 920 and I did a speed test and received decent download speeds.

Scott Cate

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
AWESOME - that fixed it for me.

Win8 Users. Click the wifi antenna icon, in your task tray. Then right click the SSID that matches what you setup on your phone. Then click 'Advanced Settings'. On the second tab, turn on FIPS. After I did this, it came to life the next time I connected.

1-1-2013 8-16-33 AM.png

Shobhit Tulsyan

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem connecting my ipad, I am in India having vodafone sim, before lumia I was using it on my hd7 flawlessly, can any one pls help with that..

Alfredo Urquiza

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Unfortunately, the FIPS trick doesn't work in the Surface RT. It gives a "the profile requires fips 140-2 mode which is not supported by the network adapter" error....

Any other ideas? My Surface connects with everything with Internet.... except for my Lumia 920...

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be a Mac thing - after the recent updates I hoped it got fixed but the issue is still present. I can't use internet sharing at all with my MBP. It connects, works for a minute, then disconnects. Then it just keeps on disconnecting every couple of minutes.

I don't need a tethering plan here - and tethering works well with the iPhone 5.

I tried in vain to connect an iPad. I assumed it might be a contract thing even though I was told I don't need anything extra (AT&T has told me many things over the years)... maybe it is a Mac thing if others are having success.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills