Can ANYONE connect a device to the 920 (Internet Sharing)?

KILLAchievement

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had no luck whatsoever in connecting a device to the 920 through Internet Sharing on AT&T. I have tried two laptops (Win 7 and 8), three iPhones (3GS, 4, 4S), iPad (3rd generation), Nook Color, and a Kindle Fire. All of these see the connection, however when it connects it will connect and then disconnect, connect then disconnect, it will try multiple times until it gives up. Windows sometimes will show that it is connected with Internet Access, then it disconnects. Then there are times where Windows connects and it stated "Limited Connection", then disconnects, and then there are times that it will just not connect at all. Then on the Lumia side while this is going on, while looking at the Internet Sharing screen in Settings, the "Guests" number goes back and forth from 1 to 0, and back again. I have the 5GB LTE data plan with tethering.

I was just wondering if ANYONE was able to get ANY other device to connect and stay connected to the 920 and actually use Internet Sharing for what it was intended to do. I don't know if this is a software issue or hardware issue and this is one feature I have to have work, so I don't know if I need to return the phone or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just tried with my work laptop, and works without a problem. Maybe that's something related to AT&T?

I'm on O2 in Germany. No LTE, only HSDPA.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just tried with my work laptop, and works without a problem. Maybe that's something related to AT&T?

I'm on O2 in Germany. No LTE, only HSDPA.

For how long did you keep it connected?

I'm having problems with the connection, as well:

1. Macbook Pro connects without an issue

2. After pretty much exactly one minute (which also happens to be the screen-timeout setting on the Lumia), the connection is dropped.

3. I can reconnect, but after another couple of minutes, the connection drops again. From then on, the WiFi adapter on my MBP doesn't react anymore until I do a full reboot.

Dr Arnheim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here ; (

For how long did you keep it connected?

I'm having problems with the connection, as well:

1. Macbook Pro connects without an issue

2. After pretty much exactly one minute (which also happens to be the screen-timeout setting on the Lumia), the connection is dropped.

3. I can reconnect, but after another couple of minutes, the connection drops again. From then on, the WiFi adapter on my MBP doesn't react anymore until I do a full reboot.

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i'm having the same problem. it works on my mac for a minute. then stops working. then the only thing i can do to fix it is reset the phone.

now the mac sync app stopped working too.

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I used it earlier today to connect two laptops at one time. Both stayed connected solid through.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

ImpalaDoug

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm unable to get a connection from my Surface RT to stay connected to Internet Sharing on my AT&T Lumia 920. My symptoms sound identical to those in the original post. I have not yet tried any devices besides the surface.

@KillAchievement - Have you found a solution?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just turned Internet Sharing on (Lumia 920, Black, purchased on release day in Northern California). I connected my old iPhone 4S to it (No longer connected to cell, and it's a Spotify streamer now until they release an app for the Lumia ;) ), and I was able to browse on the iPhone using Safari for 5 minutes and stream a song with no issues. Assuming you have an AT&T plan that actually supports Internet Sharing (not all of them do), it's possible you may have a defective phone...

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems at all connecting my 920 to my Surface. I've tried it wirelessly and also with the Surface and phone connected via the 920's USB cable so that it was charging while providing the internet service at the same time. In both cases, the two devices connected without problem and stayed connected.

gudnuf4u

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I had the problem couple days ago too but all I did was change the SSID, rebooted the phone and tried again...it works flawless this morning when I was at the car dealership getting an oil change connected to my Surface RT for over an hour ....one customer had the nerve to come ask me if he can connect his iPad to my phone

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
i had no issue getting my old android connected to internet sharing on my AT&T 920. Just have to make sure the connection is made with the Lumia unlocked.

Jbstation

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have found one tweak for Lumia 920 problems you can try installing the Spanish keyboard although it is irrelevant but works for some people. You can read more on jailbreakstation under the Nokia Lumia category.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've connected a Surface, Kindle Fire 8.9, several PCs, as well as a nook hd+ via internet sharing on my lumia 920 and all have worked fine for me. A couple times it took a little time to have the connection get going (maybe up to 30 seconds or so) but for the most part it worked quickly and easily.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To the people who are unable to use it:

Do you have a tethering plan with your carrier? Its required (at least on att).
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been tethering my Nexus 7 and playing Ingress on it while walking around etc. with no difficulties at all. Everything connects and stays connected - with really good data speeds/throughput.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3