Light Leak

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So I just noticed a bit of light leak on the bottom left of the phone (just to the left of the back button). I have had the phone a couple days and it's really not easy to notice except when you are in a near pitch black room with the screen on. My concern isn't necessarily about the looks. Though I am general pretty anal, the issue is pretty subtle and in a relatively inconspicuous area. I have, however, read of issues with dust under the screen, and that is the thing that concerns me, as that WOULD drive me insane.

So, thoughts? Anyone with light leak experience the dust issues? Another slight issue is that all of the AT&T stores around me are sold out of all colors of the phone, making a simple swap out pretty difficult.

Larylicious

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So I just noticed a bit of light leak on the bottom left of the phone (just to the left of the back button). I have had the phone a couple days and it's really not easy to notice except when you are in a near pitch black room with the screen on. My concern isn't necessarily about the looks. Though I am general pretty anal, the issue is pretty subtle and in a relatively inconspicuous area. I have, however, read of issues with dust under the screen, and that is the thing that concerns me, as that WOULD drive me insane.

So, thoughts? Anyone with light leak experience the dust issues? Another slight issue is that all of the AT&T stores around me are sold out of all colors of the phone, making a simple swap out pretty difficult.
As soon as my yellow 920 arrives (Friday 11/16)... I'll let you know.

On a side note, this sounds like the Asus Transformer (TF101) ALL OVER AGAIN!!!
Light leak around the edges... Check
Dust under the screen... Check
Battery drains quick... Check
Random reboots... Check

:(

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned in another thread but I have the exact same light leak. The first time I noticed it I thought it was a reflection of some type but it is indeed a light leak.

To me it's not very noticeable and isn't a big issue.

As for the other concerns I'm getting very good battery life and have had no isssues with reboots.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... it took me three days to notice, and I usually notice every flaw right away, so that is not what bothers me. I am mostly worried about dust under the screen. I have never had a phone with light leak issues (to my knowledge anyway) so I have no experience of other potential problems.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This seems to happen more and more, general display issues. We've had light leaks and issues with un-dried glue causing a temporary discoloring of iPhone screens and the like. Always nice to see that as the market grows, carelessness follows suit.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
mine has it too. i don't think it will lead to dust issues. assuming the glass and lcd are pre-bound as i think theyre supposed to be?, it should be fine. i also wouldn't exchange it with all the other random stuff others are reporting.

dholster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My light leak is on the right hand side, along with the whole right hand edge of the glass being a slight tiny almost unnoticeable but ocd maddening amount away from the case. if that makes sense.

basically the left side is fairly smooth when running my finger perpendicular to the screen and edge of case, but on the right side there is a noticeable lip. i still love this phone, way more then my last iphone.

My battery life is amazing usually, sometimes it loses 10-20% all of the sudden but i equate that to me working underground and it constantly trying to find a signal, if im just casually browsing and what not throughout the day i get a good 9 hours usually. I did disable the nokia drive app in background and that seems to help.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On mine the glass still seemed flush to the case. I traded the 920 for an 8X and the 8X I have has a slight light leak on the very bottom of the case and it's definitely due to a small gap between the bottom of the display and the case.

Jonah P

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
My light leak is on the right hand side, along with the whole right hand edge of the glass being a slight tiny almost unnoticeable but ocd maddening amount away from the case. if that makes sense.

basically the left side is fairly smooth when running my finger perpendicular to the screen and edge of case, but on the right side there is a noticeable lip. i still love this phone, way more then my last iphone.

My battery life is amazing usually, sometimes it loses 10-20% all of the sudden but i equate that to me working underground and it constantly trying to find a signal, if im just casually browsing and what not throughout the day i get a good 9 hours usually. I did disable the nokia drive app in background and that seems to help.
I have the same light leak. And my right edge is raised a bit just like yours. My right side is flush. You can tell if you press against the glass, it has a give. I don't want to return the phone....should I exchange it? Or is this not a major problem I should be worried about?

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
all four of my phones had it - think they all do to an extent - might just be a limit in the abilities of the manufacturing process.

Last edited:

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, it is an issue. My last phone had it really bad. Nokia exchanged it without question. The issue isn't only the light, its the amount of dirt that gets under there that had me worried. My new phone doesn't have any light leaking what's son ever and the glass is perfectly flush all around. Fyi I unscrewed the phone casing and lifted the LCD panel, the glass is part of the black bezel. So it isn't a matter of the LCD panel being loose, it is the glass coming loose from the entire panel. Poor quality control on nokias part. But amazing customer service.
Sent from Lumia 920

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi cubanaso, so are you saying your DIY job on the screen got rid of the light leak or was it just that you lucked out and your replacement had zero leak out of the box?

Of the ones I've witnessed, it's they all have a light leak above the search button, and additionally a thin light leak along either the entire right side or entire left side but never both. Some have been weak enough that their only a cosmetic/ocd gripe, and some have been so bad that they make one half of the screen look lighter than the other when for instance looking at a black background or night photo.

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine has one to the left of the back button, to the right of the search button, and above and below the windows button. I pretty much never notice any of them, only the one above the windows button if it's dark and my phone is at an awkward angle. I haven't sent mine in though because I don't think it's such a biggie

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine has one to the left of the back button, to the right of the search button, and above and below the windows button. I pretty much never notice any of them, only the one above the windows button if it's dark and my phone is at an awkward angle. I haven't sent mine in though because I don't think it's such a biggie

Out of interest mate do you have the ones (they're usually less bright but run the entire length) on either the left and/or right sides of the phone?

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My first phone (920 Yellow) had a pretty obvious leak above the windows button. The replacement had it too but was much fainter so didn't bother. Recently on a bus trip, in near pitch darkness as described by another poster, I noticed there were 3-4 spots were light was leaking onto the screen. This baby is going back too.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi cubanaso, so are you saying your DIY job on the screen got rid of the light leak or was it just that you lucked out and your replacement had zero leak out of the box?

Of the ones I've witnessed, it's they all have a light leak above the search button, and additionally a thin light leak along either the entire right side or entire left side but never both. Some have been weak enough that their only a cosmetic/ocd gripe, and some have been so bad that they make one half of the screen look lighter than the other when for instance looking at a black background or night photo.

Unfortunately, you cannot fix the light leak by taking off the lcd panel and trying to place it back properly into the phones housing. The light leaks because the screen isn't properly set onto the panel. That is why when you press down on the screen is moves. The only way to fix it is have nokia replace it or send it in for repair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte