No music volume adjust?

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing this or what?

Whether it's through Xbox or Nokia Music, or YouTube, listening to anything you can only control the volume from the side, which is full system wide volume.

No on screen options to adjust just the sound of music/videos, which really sucks.

Want your ringtone/alerts up as loud as it goes but don't want your music up that high? Screwed. Gotta turn down music, then remember to turn back up system volume when done.

Please tell me I'm missing something here.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
while they've added a headset/bt volume that is independent of the system volume, the speaker volume is a global setting for games, music, notifications. hopefully this changes in an update but i wouldn't hold my breath, and yes, it does suck.

Killbom

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are positive thing about this also!

On android, if i start a game while the phone is on vibrate, there is no knowing if it will suddenly BLAST out the game music at highet volume, since the media volume can be just about anything...

On windows phone at least there is some consistency

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the things from WP7 that I thought would have been fixed in WP8 because it annoys the **** out of me. Hopefully a future update will fix things like this.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
There are positive thing about this also!

On android, if i start a game while the phone is on vibrate, there is no knowing if it will suddenly BLAST out the game music at highet volume, since the media volume can be just about anything...

On windows phone at least there is some consistency

That's silly. On Android you can change the media volume whenever you want without having to open up any media apps (music, games etc.). You just press a volume key and there's a menu to check the various volumes.

Screenshot_2012-11-15-23-52-45.png

As you can see, I've also got a small widget on my homescreen that shows me what the volume levels are for the alarm, media, ringer, alerts, system and voicemail, which I can change in seconds should I want to. I never run in to games which suddenly BLAST out sound.

It is a very nice feature and one I think WP8 will introduce sooner or later. Atleast I'd like them to.

while they've added a headset/bt volume that is independent of the system volume, the speaker volume is a global setting for games, music, notifications. hopefully this changes in an update but i wouldn't hold my breath, and yes, it does suck.

This is what I like most about my android phone, so if WP8 has this it'd be great. To confirm, if I go in my car and play music through bluetooth while my phone is on silent the music will still play? That's all I need as my phone is pretty much always on silent otherwise.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally I love it the way it is now. It's simple and consistent.

I mean, if your a power user that's always on top of your multitude of volume settings, then great. But for the vast majority, a single volume control works. People have a tendency to forget and a scenario like what Killbom stated is not only plausible, but have personally seen happen numerous times.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I mean, if your a power user that's always on top of your multitude of volume settings, then great. But for the vast majority, a single volume control works. People have a tendency to forget and a scenario like what Killbom stated is not only plausible, but have personally seen happen numerous times.

Agreed...I hated separate volume controls on the iPhone. Main reason is that I use the phone in my car and with headphones. When I am in my car I want the volume cranked to max to give the highest output signal. However when I put my headphones on, I have to lower it back down. Sometimes I would forget that I had used it in my car, and as soon as that plug hits the headphone jack my earbuds are blasting in my ears. At the time on the iPhone there was no way to check that volume before the headphones were plugged in.

In any case, even with separate volume controls you can pull up at any time, you still have to adjust the volume for either scenario car and headphones so why is that any better than having one single volume control?

Last edited:

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The android solution lets you choose your ideal volume for pretty much every situation. You'll find you never really have to touch the volume keys because everything becomes set the way you want.

For example, I've got separate volume levels for:
The alarm, so that I don't miss it while my phone is on silent or so it doesn't scare the crap out of me if I've got the ringer set to full.
Headphone volume for when I'm listening to music through headphones.
Media volume for when I go in my car.

Otherwise, my phone is silent at all times.

I don't see how any could prefer a global volume, it is just impractical. Some people may want to have their ringer loud but play games silently. How many of these people miss phone calls by forgetting to turn the volume back up? How many people have had their phone go off in lectures and such because they forgot to put their phone back to silent after listening to music? Independent volume solves all that.

you still have to adjust the volume for either scenario car and headphones so why is that any better than having one single volume control?

I don't get what you're saying. You use headphones to listen to music in your car? or through bluetooth?

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't get what you're saying. You use headphones to listen to music in your car? or through bluetooth?

I plug a headphone jack that goes into my car stereo's external media jack. There is no bluetooth option on my car. Thus, there is no way the phone would know if I am listening via headphones or through the car stereo.

Killbom

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's silly. On Android you can change the media volume whenever you want without having to open up any media apps (music, games etc.). You just press a volume key and there's a menu to check the various volumes.

As you can see, I've also got a small widget on my homescreen that shows me what the volume levels are for the alarm, media, ringer, alerts, system and voicemail, which I can change in seconds should I want to. I never run in to games which suddenly BLAST out sound.

I dont get that menu on my razr (ICS).
It's possible to get a similar menu by going into settings, but as soon as i touch the slider the phone plays some example music in the volume im adjusting, which also is annoying.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I hate it because say I have a hard time hearing and I like my ringer all the way up but If I forget to turn it down before getting in my car my ears are bleeding from how loud it is and theres a good chance of blowing my speakers. not cool

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss