12-26-2012 02:02 AM
76 1234
tools
    Let's have a moment of silence for this beautiful device that came to such an ugly death..................................................................... R.I.P.
    Xsever and Kredrian like this.
    11-15-2012 11:19 AM
    Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...
    Oh, no! Sorry to hear this. :(
    11-15-2012 11:30 AM
    :'(

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    11-15-2012 11:32 AM
    Tweeted Nokia and they referred me to Palco Cellphone Repair. Looks like they will only charge $177 to fix. Anyone have any experience dealling with them?
    Reflexx likes this.
    11-15-2012 12:07 PM
    I called and added insurance after seeing this.

Will pay for it for a few months.

Deductible is only 125.
    11-15-2012 12:08 PM
    So the great guerilla glass 2 easily breaks and isn't scratch resistant . Isn't this false advertising ?
    11-15-2012 12:19 PM
    Can it be possible that maybe, just maybe you got a defective glass?
    11-15-2012 12:20 PM
    I would call Nokia. See what they will do for you. People here have mentioned having good luck with their customer service (although I have heard nothing about accidental breaks). If they won't help, remind them how good Apple's policy is and that you may as well go back to their handset (even if there is no truth to you going to Apple).
    11-15-2012 12:25 PM
    A friend has a similar issue with his 2 week old Galaxy S3, and the fee to repair it is horrendous.

I'd be interested to see if any phone could survive being dropped on its glass, as i've seen iphones, androids, WP's, all with similar issues when you are unlucky enough to drop it glass side down.

Maybe someone needs to study cats, and work out how they always fall on their feet, then apply those physics to mobiles
    It is possible if they distribute the weight in a way that would make it hard for the phone to land on its face.
    11-15-2012 12:28 PM
    So the great guerilla glass 2 easily breaks and isn't scratch resistant . Isn't this false advertising ?
    I wouldn't say it "easily" breaks. How many people have dropped their phones. My wife dropped my Lumia day one on the wood floor. I was terrified to turn it over. Not a scratch on the thing. Looking at abuse tests online, it also holds up very well. The glass is going to break. It's going to scratch. But easily? Compare it to a regular glass pane, and you will probably see there is no false advertisement whatsoever. You have to compare gorilla glass to standard glass, not a reinforced army vehicle.
    11-15-2012 12:28 PM
    I would call Nokia. See what they will do for you. People here have mentioned having good luck with their customer service (although I have heard nothing about accidental breaks). If they won't help, remind them how good Apple's policy is and that you may as well go back to their handset (even if there is no truth to you going to Apple).
    Care to elaborate?
    11B1P likes this.
    11-15-2012 12:43 PM
    This really stinks. I'm sorry it happened. I'm also now glad that I at least have bumpers on our phones.
    11-15-2012 12:43 PM
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure. You walk into Apple with a broken phone. So long as it is not in multiple pieces, they will replace it for you. If it is the newest model, replacement cost is $200. If it is an older model, replacement cost is $150. They have phased out replacing the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. All other phones are replaced on site. If they don't have the storage model in stock, they will often (but not always) bump you up to the next closest one. The same policy applies if you need to ship Apple the phone (due to there not being a store in your area or some such issue).

Apples repair/replacement policy is the best in the business as far as I am concerned. When I dropped my iPhone 4 in the wash on launch day they replaced it for me for $100 since they felt bad. :)
    11-15-2012 12:46 PM
    I farted.
    11-15-2012 12:47 PM
    Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...
    Sucks bro :(
    11-15-2012 12:48 PM
    Can it be possible that maybe, just maybe you got a defective glass?
    No.
    11-15-2012 12:49 PM
    Tell them how it happened and that this is a crack in your trust, not just your phone. And they better do something ABOUT it.
    Glass breaks when dropped. Not always, but dropped in the right way or from the right height, it will break. It is not indestructible, Gorilla Glass 2 or not. There is no breach of trust here.
    11-15-2012 12:50 PM
    That sucks! I dropped my 900 while in the bleacher seats at a football game and it survived like a champ, the only damage being a dent on the top right of the phone.

Does the raised glass surface on the 920 somehow make it more prone to damage?
    11-15-2012 12:52 PM
    had to check about Palco and it is the same place i was referred to last year when i asked about repairing my N8 audio jack.
    Iv dropped and even accidentally thrown that N8 across a room (by mistake of course) and the thing survived everything.
    Then when i was handing it to my wife it slipped from about a 1ft off the ground between two chairs and hit the corner of the phone, and seemngly cracked the PCB inside so that the audio jack wouldnt work anymore.... so yes, Nokia phones survive a lot of abuse but those corners are vulnerable just like any other phone.... off topic - look at the "rugged" cover for the 820, its got extra protection for the corners.
    anyways... Palco has been used by others around the web for Nokia repairs... its an authorised repair unit so should be reuptable.
    of course YMMV.
    11-15-2012 12:56 PM
    Tweeted Nokia and they referred me to Palco Cellphone Repair. Looks like they will only charge $177 to fix. Anyone have any experience dealling with them?
    Hats off to ya MT. Don't be a dishonest and try to scam the system. There is only one thing most people dispise more than overly-whiney people. Thats dishonest people...

I'm also calling right now to add the insurance to my device.
    eallan and 11B1P like this.
    11-15-2012 01:05 PM
    Bummer...i agree with others. contact Nokia/ATT. Can't hurt to try.
    11-15-2012 01:05 PM
    I called and added insurance after seeing this.

Will pay for it for a few months.

Deductible is only 125.
    No ****! I passed up the insurance online because I felt that this phone wouldn't need it. I'm doing the same thing today. Just to be safe.
    11-15-2012 02:28 PM
    I farted.
    This made my day.
    hasasimo likes this.
    11-15-2012 02:34 PM
    Couldn't this thread have been an attempt at viral marketing by AT&T to lure Lumia 920 customers who felt the design of the 920 made it damage proof and didn't need a case for it? Maybe it's a bit of cross-promotional work with Ottterbox and there will be some kind of $200 bundle that includes the phone, an Otterbox Defender case and the wireless charging pad and a vehicle mount.

/tinfoil hat is secured
    11-15-2012 02:35 PM
    No ****! I passed up the insurance online because I felt that this phone wouldn't need it. I'm doing the same thing today. Just to be safe.
    I feel like the extra heft of this phone makes the screen that much more likely to shatter if it lands the wrong way. I'm curious to see how the iPhone 5 would fair in comparison if dropped directly on the screen due to it weighing 30% less.

But yeah, good call on the insurance. $7/month is worth it.
    11-15-2012 02:39 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD