Today is truly a sad day....

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...

Your car isn't some monster truck 20 feet off the ground is it? Surprised to see that since there are videos of the phone being dropped several times with minimal damage. They even beat the thing with a hammer and the screen survived.

Did you have insurance or anything??

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
That's a shame man, really is. What's it gonna set you back to get it repaired?

Man, I can't wait to get my gel case. It can't come out soon enough! Seeing these kind of pics worry me.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A friend has a similar issue with his 2 week old Galaxy S3, and the fee to repair it is horrendous.

I'd be interested to see if any phone could survive being dropped on its glass, as i've seen iphones, androids, WP's, all with similar issues when you are unlucky enough to drop it glass side down.

Maybe someone needs to study cats, and work out how they always fall on their feet, then apply those physics to mobiles :cool:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Your car isn't some monster truck 20 feet off the ground is it? Surprised to see that since there are videos of the phone being dropped several times with minimal damage. They even beat the thing with a hammer and the screen survived.

Did you have insurance or anything??

While the Lumia 920 is most certainly durable, but a hit of right power to the right (or well, wrong) place can break any device. Mobile phones are pretty much the weakest if they fall on the corner like this one. The glass shatters fairly easy.

Drop tests are so unscientific that they just about hold no value. One test your random iPhone 5 might look like it's indestructible and the next test shatter on the first hit simply cos the phone landed in a non-ideal way.

If the Lumia 920 fell actually glass down, chances are nothing wouldn't have happened. Looking at the picture, the damage came from landing on the lower right corner which is common source of shattering in all drop tests I've seen lately.

Major Trip

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No insurance, bought the phone outright on Friday. Then decided to cancel AT&T and switch to Net10. So I am really out of luck. So it looks like I have to spend another $450 (hopefully they wont make me get another account).

I drive a Honda Civic so I would say no more than 2 feet off of the ground. Never had a problem other than a light scratch on the body with dropping my Nokia 900 multiple times over the last 6 months. I've been really impressed with Nokia's build quality and support so I am really hoping that the phone just hit the right spot to make it shatter.

I wonder if putting an Invisible Sheild on the screen will reinforce the glass not to shatter if it lands the same way as before...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if putting an Invisible Sheild on the screen will reinforce the glass not to shatter if it lands the same way as before...

Really doubt it. It might do a little on how far the shattering spreads, but I doubt it would outright stop it from happening.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
No insurance, bought the phone outright on Friday. Then decided to cancel AT&T and switch to Net10. So I am really out of luck. So it looks like I have to spend another $450 (hopefully they wont make me get another account).

I drive a Honda Civic so I would say no more than 2 feet off of the ground. Never had a problem other than a light scratch on the body with dropping my Nokia 900 multiple times over the last 6 months. I've been really impressed with Nokia's build quality and support so I am really hoping that the phone just hit the right spot to make it shatter.

You might be able to sell it for parts on eBay or something. Even if you get 50 or 100 bucks out of it, that helps ease the pain a little. At least it's not 650 or 700 bucks at full price.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would send it in for repair. Probably be less expensive than a new one. If you still have your old phone so you can make calls that is...

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Tweet Nokia or AT&T and ask about Corning Gorilla Glass II.

Maybe they'll go out of their way to be nice and send you a replacement.

Good publicity for them.

ZoSo925

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, Ive been going almost 2 1/2 weeks with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G with a cracked screen. Luckily no dead spots and can still use the phone. What royally sucks for me is my Nokia order is in limbo and could be another 2 weeks till I get it

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Sue the car company I say...lol. I'm so sorry for you mate.

As someone suggested, tweet them Nokia and Windows Phone alike.

Tell them how it happened and that this is a crack in your trust, not just your phone. And they better do something ABOUT it.

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)