I guess I got a GREAT device!

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I am really enjoying my Lumia 920. It has far exceeded my expectations. My windows world is pretty much complete, L920, Surface, windows 8 on some of my computers...

I just dont get the battery issues and I think it is more like people having the phone misconfigured... I received myphone on Monday. I read the forums before I got my phone and noted what others were saying about the battery and such.

---Wifi settings where the hotspot finder and notifications set to off
---NFC is off (no point in using it yet)
---Bluetooth is constantly on, but I should turn it off as I only use it in the car.
---Apps in the background and live tiles, I turn almost all apps with this function off, unless I really liked/needed the functionality (WP Central is on though)
---Most importantly, push settings for my 7 different email/syncing accounts to a time interval that was cattered to their need (non are set to as they arrive)
---Finally, after I set my phone up, I used it until it completely died. I then let it fully charge over night.

My phone's current status is as follows:
Remaining Battery Life: 32%
Estimated Time Remaing: 12 hours
Time since last charge: 1 day 1 hour...
Bluetooth is on
Wifi is off

I have spend a few hours on the phone, send/read both email and texts, browed the internet and used apps, no gaming yet as I usually do not play games, taken a few pictures for work and testing, used skydrive and one note in class lastnight. By the way, My email is both personal, my personal company/business, and my corportate exchange... I have not listed to music but one time and that was using Nokia music for about 10 munites (streaming over LTE)... I have not experienced ANY overheating issues at all. I understand that maybe I did get a great device with no defects. My launch 900 had to be replaced due to the screen and such, so I know it can happen. I just dont think that all are experiecing this issue.

I personally think that people are using too many battery killing features, well more like misconfiguring these features... As the old age rule is "All because you can, does not mean that you should..." It has a lot of cool features, but too much of anything can and will kill. I am not going to charge my phone today until it dies or I have to charge it for business... So far, not only is the phone beautiful, a joy to use and hold, and a head turner, it has far exceeded my expectations. Now, I need to continue to work on my surface getting more than a 2 day battery charge like my ipad 2 did (though I use my Surface more than I did my ipad2).

Hope if helps, but if it doesn't, please do not flame me... Get a new device :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No, don't do full decharges. They harm the battery far more than help them. Modern batteries remain their best condition by keeping them as topped off as possible.

Also, your device is normal :p People dont come around here like you to say how their device is great, however the minority with defects will come to say they have a defect. Most Lumias are just fine.

Ragedoctor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
100% agreed!

I did have issues BUT as it is with the camera, standard settings are not the best! It is helpful to switch to 3G if not using LTE (4G). I do close the apps after use (some apps suck on the battery like ****). Mail accounts (3) refresh every single hour. Since then I am satisfied with the battery life of my beloved Lumia 920.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Coreldan is absolutely correct.

This article is an excellent source of information about Li-ion batteries.
Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while.

13guppies

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
---Wifi settings where the hotspot finder and notifications set to off
---NFC is off (no point in using it yet)
---Bluetooth is constantly on, but I should turn it off as I only use it in the car.
---Apps in the background and live tiles, I turn almost all apps with this function off, unless I really liked/needed the functionality (WP Central is on though)
---Most importantly, push settings for my 7 different email/syncing accounts to a time interval that was cattered to their need (non are set to as they arrive)
---Finally, after I set my phone up, I used it until it completely died. I then let it fully charge over night.
Thanks for the tips! I agree that--just as with any device running off of battery (phone, laptop, etc.)--battery life heavily depends on hard you push it. I'm crossing my fingers that mine will be just as great!

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
No, don't do full decharges. They harm the battery far more than help them. Modern batteries remain their best condition by keeping them as topped off as possible.

Also, your device is normal :p People dont come around here like you to say how their device is great, however the minority with defects will come to say they have a defect. Most Lumias are just fine.

Once a month is ok. This will help the software read the battery level more accurately.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Coreldan is absolutely correct.

This article is an excellent source of information about Li-ion batteries.

I I do keep my phones charged, and almost never discharge them. The first time, I did allow it, last night I just didn't charge it, as it was in my backpack.

Good points and thanks. Battery cycles and usage/ charging procedures are always being modified and tough to keep up with at times. I do not want to do damage, thinking that I am helping it.

Ragedoctor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Even if there is officially no memory effect in Lithium whatever batteries, I think there is. I have no evidence but my last iPhone 4s liked a full discharge every 1-2 month.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Even if there is officially no memory effect in Lithium whatever batteries, I think there is. I have no evidence but my last iPhone 4s liked a full discharge every 1-2 month.

That's the normal calibration. More often than that, and the battery will get killed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo