Do not use the Battery Level app

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Alright as many here saw the Lumia seems to have a battery issue.
I recently downloaded Battery Level since I suspected it to be the problem.
Yesterday my battery drained twice as fast as it used to before I installed this app.
This morning I uninstalled it and my estimated time charge went from 15 hours to 1day 15hours.

This App isn't worth it... it might be fun to have the battery level on your lock screen, but if I have to sacrifice battery life... then I prefer not using such an app.

Thanks for reading me and tell me if this fixed your issue.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Alright as many here saw the Lumia seems to have a battery issue.
I recently downloaded Battery Level since I suspected it to be the problem.
Yesterday my battery drained twice as fast as it used to before I installed this app.
This morning I uninstalled it and my estimated time charge went from 15 hours to 1day 15hours.

This App isn't worth it... it might be fun to have the battery level on your lock screen, but if I have to sacrifice battery life... then I prefer not using such an app.

Thanks for reading me and tell me if this fixed your issue.

Are you sure you made no other changes? I just uninstalled it, and it made ZERO difference to the estimated time left...

Reinstalling now...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
dont rely on the estimated life, its all over the map.

Depend on how your battery performs after and before with same use.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
YMMV. I run Battery Level along with everything else and only lose about 1% per hr. As mentioned above, estimated battery life is very inaccurate.

It's really a shame Nokia took away the Diagnostics app, which made it much easier to track down problems like this.

Jan2001

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Since I installed Battery Level for WP8 my battery life has increased, not decreased. How should this app drain the battery more than other apps?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think we are all playing with our new phones too much to completely isolate one change from another...
Well it's kind of weird that installing Battery Level was immediately followed by a loss in battery life and uninstalling + soft restart fixed the issue... but again it may be anything as you guys say.

Reginald Atkins

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled it simply because it was not accurately displaying battery level.. it said 99% for the better part of an hour but when I went into the settings it showed only about 94%, course then i went into the app and boom.. 94% now, oh well.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
there is no way for a phone to predict the usage it will experience. It makes an assumption that future use will be similar to past use. That's a lousy assumption of course, and it holds true until it doesn't.

Like coasting down a highway and looking at your instant MPG and assuming your car actually gets 99mpg.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled it simply because it was not accurately displaying battery level.. it said 99% for the better part of an hour but when I went into the settings it showed only about 94%, course then i went into the app and boom.. 94% now, oh well.

I think it only updates once an hour.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Since I installed Battery Level for WP8 my battery life has increased, not decreased. How should this app drain the battery more than other apps?

You are either the developer of the app, or really misled. The app can't increase battery life, it just reports current battery level.

Poorly written apps will drain the battery. I'm sure this app is OK, but other apps not so much.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

The odd time I notice that my battery percentage has increased by a percent or two, so I doubt it's related to installing the app. Like others have said all over this forum, the battery reports the time left (and maybe percentage?) based on what you were just doing with the phone. It's dynamic reporting.

Reginald Atkins

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
the first one I tried did say every 1/2 hour but it was sitting calmly at 99% for the better part of 1.5 hours. Sooo off it went... i've been rather unscientifically keeping track of battery usage and it seems to be roughly 10% drain an hour.. give or take. Assuming a full charge and variable moments of use intensity.. add in a lot of "maybe"... and I'm thinking I'll see about 7 - 9 hours off a full charge... mas or meno. Mind you that's all based on guesstimations at best.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't blame the batter app nor draw conclusions...just yet

If you have C#, C++ or VB coding skills you can create the app in less than 1 day (of course there the small $99 registration fee )

MS has created an API for access battery information
Battery class (Preliminary)

Notice that are not that many methods
1) RemainingDischargeTime()
2) RemainingChargePercent()
3) and one event method RemainingChargePercentChanged()

I am sure the app is just using these methods on the Battery class and just reflecting the information. So if the this is true (assumption) its just reporting what the OS is telling the app.

Listening for the battery change event should not be a resource hog...I cant see this as being the problem.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This whole cycle is going to start over again when we all get a firmware update from Nokia and people will want to compare battery life of the 920 pre and post update, with these apps pre and post update and without the apps pre and post update.

Maybe over the next month we can rate battery life as when used riding a horse through Nashville, TN. Then we can see what effect sitting in the front row of a Gallagher performance has on the battery life. Then in the utlimate test of endurance it can be taken to a Nickelback concert, take an arrow to the knee.

If my phone charges overnight and lasts from the time I take it off the charger until I get home, I'm fine. If I have a charger at the office and one in my car, I'm fine. If my phone cannot last four hours before it needs to be recharged, I have an issue with that. Anything less than four hours and I'm seriously looking for another phone. I honestly might have rocked a Palm Pre longer had the phone managed to hold a charge longer than three hours, regardless of which battery I put into it.

What kills me is that people go to great lengths - GREAT LENGTHS - to get 80 hours of battery life on something they use maybe four hours a day and talk on less than 30 minutes. I was in that camp once, using Juice Defender to shut down just about everything I had running on my Android phones when not in use. Well, it said I doubled my phone's battery life. (Check's run time - 8 hours) You mean I only went from 4 to 8 hours? :mad:

Use your phone. Kick up the brightness all the way to eleven. Run everything you can in the background that doesn't slow up your phone. Consume massive amounts of bandwidth. Completely fill up every ounce of free space on your Lumia. Run the battery down less than 10% often. Take 1,000's of pictures. Burn a hole in your pants because your phone gets so hot you cannot stand it. You paid money for this phone. Use it. Enjoy it. Two years will come and go and you can either say yes, I got my money's worth on that phone or you could be like the phone snobs (I'm one) that change their phone every other week because the new model has 1080p iMotion video control with 3D augmentation and it warns you 15 mintues before you have only two hours of talk time so you can wirelessly charge your phone using a single strip of bacon. The model we have now has to use three strips of bacon and you cannot even eat the bacon once your phone is charged. I hear the next version is going to have built in translation so you can finally understand what the Ewoks say in Star Wars, or the people at the Chinese resturant that laugh at you when you call it General Toes' chicken.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it kind of weird to have an battery app when you basically have two battery indicators, one on top of the screen when you tap it and the other in the battery saver settings area? Idk that's my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel