5% battery use in 1 hr while phone was off?

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, another battery related thread.. I know.. This is a bit different than the "hey, my battery life sucks" though.

Background:
I got my L920 on Sunday and it was pretty much OK - only 1 lockup, and 1 random reboot on it's own up until today. Off a full charge, I'd average 65% remaining by the time I got home so it wasn't a big deal. Today, I get up for work, unplug my phone and head in. 30 min later I'm at 70% remaining. I rebooted (volume down + power) it a few times, even powered it off/on, and enabled/disabled/enabled/disabled wifi/bt/nfc/airplane mode. No luck on stopping the drain. After getting into the office I backup my phone and then perform a reset to defaults. Even now with a base image (and I even uninstalled Nokia maps, drive, and any other app that might run the background) the battery drain is still happening, just not as fast.

All that said, I turned off my phone for the last hr and kept track of the percentage before and after. Result: 5% drain while the phone was off. Hopefully whatever it is will stop freaking out or MS will release a fix soon.

As a side note: I did not install any new apps, but there was an update to the Access point app yesterday that I installed in the afternoon. It did not effect my battery then. Also, before my battery started freaking out my Bing backgrounds didn't change automatically, now they do. I may have to go back to my L800 until this sorts itself out. :mad:

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
More than likely you didn't use any battery while it was off, rebooting the phone just updated the battery % indicator.

Keep in mind, %indicators aren't actually very accurate since battery drain and charge isn't actually linear. Basically the indicator is a best guess system.

See the other threads for battery life issues, there's a couple fixes that work for most people (though definitely not all!) I wouldn't worry about the phone using battery while off unless it's some ridiculous amount like "I had it off overnight and lost 40% battery!"

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I get that battery use is not linear but after restoring it was at 4 hrs remaining at 65%, then after messing with it some more, it went up to 23hrs. If battery time indication is a measurement of how fast the mAh draw is, then it's seems like something is sucking up power in the background.

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I get that battery use is not linear but after restoring it was at 4 hrs remaining at 65%, then after messing with it some more, it went up to 23hrs. If battery time indication is a measurement of how fast the mAh draw is, then it's seems like something is sucking up power in the background.
The time remaining is even more inaccurate since it has no idea if battery drain is going increase, decrease or what. I had it constantly telling me one hour remaining for about 6 hours when I was having battery issues.
In the battery thread there's one guy who says he shut his phone off for almost 2 hours and GAINED 3% when it went back on.

There's also a lot of speculation that this phone doesn't read the battery properly until you calibrate it. People have reported running the phone for hours at 0% or even having it shut off for no battery, then turn back on for 90 minutes. It makes sense considering a large number of people have reported good results from calibrating the battery (Full drain followed by full charge)

And yes something may be sucking up your power. Nokia Drive, Crackle and Skype have all been reported to cause massive battery drain even when not running.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Something's certainly up with the battery meter/time estimate. I just went from 1 day 8 hrs, to 6 hrs and back to 1 day+ again. I've uninstalled all the "problem" apps and forced battery saver always on.

It'd be one thing if it never worked right, but it worked fine for days before today. *sigh* early adopter pains I guess.

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Something's certainly up with the battery meter/time estimate. I just went from 1 day 8 hrs, to 6 hrs and back to 1 day+ again. I've uninstalled all the "problem" apps and forced battery saver always on.

It'd be one thing if it never worked right, but it worked fine for days before today. *sigh* early adopter pains I guess.

Well I don't put any stock into the time estimate AT ALL. It starts with an estimate of how much juice is in your battery, then estimates time based off an estimated amount of battery usage... Time remaining is pretty much a shot in the dark TBH.

Try the calibration method tonight, see if it helps at all. Some folks have said they had to do a factory reset before it started working all right, but I'd say use it as a last ditch effort, it's been reported to occasionally brick your phone.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset this morning. It's still acting erratic. I had 92% an hr ago, and now I'm at 80% without using it much. Strange.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss