Why I'm leaving WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I thought WIFI disconnect was a smart idea, hate that they may patch that. The whole point was that when you lock the phone it disconnects you from the WIFI and then once you unlock it you go back to the WIFI settings and reconnect, no reentering information. The problem was that many people would lock their phone, forget that they was on WIFI and it drain the battery searching for the WIFI.

I don't have a Windows 8 phone as of yet, but my EVO 4G has a setting to use the network when WiFi is not available. For me, WiFi uses a lot less power than when my phone is on the regular network. Everything switches automatically so I don't have to think about it. Hopefully Microsoft comes up with something like that, because I am on WiFi about 90% of the day.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
3: On the Lumia 900 you could toggle between 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE by dialing ##3282# and activate that toggle setting. Lumia 920 might or might not have an option like that.
4. Joe Belfiore from Microsoft said their engineers tested with Wifi and 3G/4G usage and they found that 3G/4G uses less battery on the Snapdragon than Wifi, but they will give you the option in the future software update to have WIFI always on.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
thats all well and great that lte uses less than my wifi but in the end, microsoft isnt paying my limited data. since buying this phone my data is up to 450mb when its usually around 120mb after 6 days of use. at this rate, unless i turn off my lte when Im on wifi and turn off all updates I will be over my plan in half of a month. completely inexcusable

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what OP is talking about, but nr. 4 is the exact thing on all the phones.

Even iPhones i have 4s and 5 here and they both disconnect WiFi when you lock the screen so i dont see how is that a problem on Lumia.
unless you Jailbreak your iPhone and there is a hack for that but there is none on i5 so...
Both your 4S and 5 are faulty if they do that. Or your router is faulty. iOS by design keeps WiFi connected in standby and so does Android

martan1981#WN

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
This partially true. I phone disconnects wifi when your mobile data are enabled. But if you disable them, then wifi stays on even after you lock your screen. Since ios 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ExcelNinjar

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The only real point I see he is #4. Whilst it appears a software update will fix the issue, there's a very good & FREE app on wp 7.5, Keep Alive http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/keep-alive/cfabf92c-79ca-4015-a385-ef1a9edd085f. It looks as if you're installing a First-Aid app when you find it, but it's actually an app for maintaining your WiFi connection by periodically pinging a server - I've used it on my Lumia 800 for the last few months and it's been really useful. Guess it'll work on WP8 as well?

Personally, whilst I like to maintain a constant WiFi connection, I'd give that up for a WP8 phone - Can't afford to go and buy one and have too long left on my contract (another year), so eagerly awaiting WP7.8 in the meantime.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

1. While the feature would be nice, I have felt it to be less of a problem. My iPhone is quirky with rotation. It seems to decide it is in landscape sometimes when I set it on the table. This hasn't happened to me yet with the Lumia.

2. Are you just annoyed by the haptic feedback? I guess this is a preference thing. It didn't bother me. But to each his own.

3. This is an AT&T thing. Last I checked, iPhone didn't allow this (on AT&T) either. It is what it is, but it certainly isn't a windows phone fault. If you REALLY want to turn it off, there is a tutorial on the boards here someplace.

4. While this was by design, I guess it sort of is frustrating, although the only time I find myself caring is when I am using my phone as an XBMC server and it takes a couple seconds for it to connect after being unlocked. Otherwise, if you are streaming music while on wifi and you lock the screen, wifi stays engaged. Anyway, MS is aware that people don't like it and there will be a software fix. When? I am not sure.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
"4." is a problem for quite a few people and has been the topic of countless WP threads for some time. It's not a problem for everyone, but for enough for MS to change it. The reason I don't like wifi disconnecting under the lock screen is that I don't get email or email notifications. For me, that's a big problem.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Now that's better all cleaned up lets keep it that way. Some things are just not for some people. If you want to play pick 4 and move on that would be real easy on any platform. We also have an app to keep WIFI alive guess what its called "Active WIFI" its in the Store. Should we need an app for this not really it would be nice if they would just fix it from what I know they will soon.

TrentTech

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't. I have had my iPhone without a SIM still getting push notifications and all it is connected with is the wifi.

iOS devices do disconnect from the network when locked & idle, however it does seem to periodically wake the wifi up in order check for notifications. It often doesn't seem like they disconnect at all, however, due to the speed at which they re-establish the connection. My iPad (wifi only) certainly disconnects from the wifi when idle.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
iOS devices do disconnect from the network when locked & idle, however it does seem to periodically wake the wifi up in order check for notifications. It often doesn't seem like they disconnect at all, however, due to the speed at which they re-establish the connection. My iPad (wifi only) certainly disconnects from the wifi when idle.
If this is the case, it is reconnecting rapidly. My iphone is constantly buzzing when I get a new email in. Often times it comes through faster than it does on my L920, which is currently my daily driver. Also, my iphone is locked, and logging into the router through my pc shows that it is still connected (just checked). So again, if it is disconnecting, it is reconnecting quite frequently, which baffles me. If the point is to conserve battery, I wouldn't expect it to disconnect and reconnect as often as it seems to be... I can't speak for iPad or any non cellular Apple device as I don't own any of those.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?

LOL talk about first world problems!

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is designed to be used on 4G LTE, however it can use HSPA+, 3G, Edge, Wi-FI...

What I don't understand is why people want buy a Ferrari and only drive it a quarter of a mile before it gets put back in the garage until next summer. I get the gas is expensive but why did you buy it in the first place? When I bought an Xbox 360 for the first time I didn't have a way to get my high-speed internet connection on it. (Long story) I was missing out on some of the stronger selling points of the device. But I digress.

Should you be able to use your Wi-Fi when and where you want to? Sure. However, do the research before you buy the phone, you won't get burned. Make a list of pros and cons, including money you've invested into the current device you have and whatever apps you bought that you won't be able to use on the next device. I spent a lot of money on Android apps, mostly games but a few productivity apps that I can honestly say were quite helpful. Most of that functionality has been replaced with built-in apps on the Windows Phone 8 software. I ditched Evernote for OneNote and have not looked back. Native Office and Skydrive backup is pretty sweet, too. Does my phone have some quirks? Yes. I think a lot of phones have enough minor annoyances that they could make potential buyers hold off for a firmware update or another device completely.

I'm not a Windows Phone / Microsoft / Nokia loyalist. I bashed Windows Phone for the longest time. But, things change when you actually try it. Windows Phone 7 brought me to buying Windows 8 for my desktop, and eventually adding a line to get the Lumia 920. I went from a Android / Ubuntu set up to all Windows. The uniformity and convenience is wonderful. I have gained far more than I have lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077