Why I'm leaving WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplyMorbo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If this is the case, it is reconnecting rapidly. My iphone is constantly buzzing when I get a new email in. Often times it comes through faster than it does on my L920, which is currently my daily driver. Also, my iphone is locked, and logging into the router through my pc shows that it is still connected (just checked). So again, if it is disconnecting, it is reconnecting quite frequently, which baffles me. If the point is to conserve battery, I wouldn't expect it to disconnect and reconnect as often as it seems to be... I can't speak for iPad or any non cellular Apple device as I don't own any of those.

I also have an iPhone (4S) and it definitely disconnects from Wifi when idle. I can see it reconnecting to Wifi (very quickly) every time I switch on the screen again. AFAIK iPhones do disconnect from Wifi in standby if they have a decent mobile network connection that they can switch to. Without a SIM card there is no mobile connection so the iPhone stays connected to Wifi. It also seems to stay connected if the mobile network signal is rather weak and also if it is connected to the charger, at least I think so based on my experience with my own device. Unfortunately Apple has never documented the exact behavior anywhere.

jonesychris

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
3) I haven't had a phone that could do that. True i was locked in iOS for a while. But recently i had a Iphone5 and GSIII on AT&T. Neither phone would let you get off LTE and onto 4g/3g without rooting/jailbreaking.
The others are just personal preferences, sounds like you didn't research phone much before you bought it or thought they wouldn't bother you much. I read all of those things before I bought mine.

drelewis

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So when apple came out with the iphone 4 and no one could make calls due to the antenna being all messed up which quite frankly is one of the most basic functions of a cell phone to actually make calls did we hear people saying THATS IT I AM SICK OF THIS I AM GOING BACK TO ....... no people just got on with it, and realized that as an early adopter to any platform you will see issues. **** even if I buy a PC or Xbox 360 game we have a patch just about ready for the first week. Yet you come here to list all the reason why you want to leave and ask other to convince you otherwise. Go to BB btw the platform goes down too remember in the UK it was DAYS without email or BBM. Please go and threaten them that you want to leave when it all goes tits up. Otherwise invest in a platform that you like and support it, if that's not wp then that's just fine just don't tell us why you are leaving because its rather stupid.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
iphones do turn off wifi when the screen is locked. It's normal. Can't say for Android.
Android keeps it on if you tell it to. It's an option, like nearly everything else on Android. That said, it's actually more battery-efficient if you're in an area with WiFi than Android's way of handling turning it on and off.

And to the ugly vibration reason in the OP: seriously?

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?

i have to agree with you.. it does bother me that it doesnt have a screen lock but i just have to live with it
for 2nd.. im still waiting for my phone but i do have lumia 900 n it has a very ugly vibration.. i hate it
3rd this doesnt really bother me
4th.. CMON MSFT ARE yOU F* KIDDING ME! known issue? lol its a JOKE! they probably consider this as a feature! this happened in WP7.. 7.5 n now in 8? so its been know for how long.. since they launched WP7 n never tried to fix it! gotta be kidding me MSFT!

i still luv this phone cuz i have a 2GB plan n i use 1.7 on average so :) its a good OS.. phone is awesome.. keep it

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
No, the iPhones are supposed to turn off wifi when locked and IDLE (the same way WP does). Guess why? Because it conserves battery.
No they're not. And when I go to sleep at night with 100% battery, wake up 8 hours later, the battery is at ~94%. That't 6% in 8 hours. With WIFI ON in standby. This conserve battery theory is just Microsoft misleading you people.

chickibummi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
3) I haven't had a phone that could do that. True i was locked in iOS for a while. But recently i had a Iphone5 and GSIII on AT&T. Neither phone would let you get off LTE and onto 4g/3g without rooting/jailbreaking.
The others are just personal preferences, sounds like you didn't research phone much before you bought it or thought they wouldn't bother you much. I read all of those things before I bought mine.

Sorry but you're wrong. I have an S3 and it switches easily and I'm not rooted.

Settings > more settings > mobile network > network mode > then pick what you want. Super easy

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?

:straight: You say that as if all else is equal between the two operating systems. What about the gargantuan step forward WP provides you with everything else in comparison to Blackberry? WP makes Blackberry devices look like something out of the stone ages.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to turn off #2? My phone vibrates when I use those buttons, but I certainly wouldn't call it ugly. I think haptics, or tactile feedback, should be a configurable option. If it isn't currently, I would think at some point in the future will be via a firmware or software update.

jonesychris

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but you're wrong. I have an S3 and it switches easily and I'm not rooted.

Settings>more settings > network mode > then pick what you want. Super easy

You are wrong. Are you on AT&T, I would assume so if you are on this forum? Are you rooted? That will allow it. I even downloaded the app that lets you switch and switching it did nothing.
That option is not there on an AT&T branded GS3 thats not rooted or rom'd. AT&T can and wants to keep you from using that without root. LTE is not congested, 3g/4g is congested, the fewer people on 3g/4g the better their network looks.

chickibummi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong. Are you on AT&T, I would assume so if you are on this forum? Are you rooted? That will allow it. I even downloaded the app that lets you switch and switching it did nothing.
That option is not there on an AT&T branded GS3 thats not rooted or rom'd. AT&T can and wants to keep you from using that without root. LTE is not congested, 3g/4g is congested, the fewer people on 3g/4g the better their network looks.

No, I missed that in your post, I'm on Rogers. That sucks for you guys, I'm not rooted and can switch between many network options very easily. Seems that an AT&T issue and not the phones fault then. I wonder if Rogers 920's can switch. Wish I could get one to find out :mad:

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
:straight: You say that as if all else is equal between the two operating systems. What about the gargantuan step forward WP provides you with everything else in comparison to Blackberry? WP makes Blackberry devices look like something out of the stone ages.

same could be said about ios and android. WP8 should have been extremely polished from the beginning but they rushed this out because they knew delays would cause further damage to their pockets. there is no reason I should be forced to use my data connection when I am not using the phone. I understand I can turn off data or download some chincy program to ping towers randomly but that is a hassle I should not have to endure. They talked about how great this WP8 is, now we are awaiting updates for everything they left out and who knows when that will happen. I am tempted to return this phone seeing as how these updates more than likely will not be here before my 14 days is up and my wireless charger certainly will not be here before the 14 days is up. Everything about the release of this phone has been terrible. I really do like the phone, seriously one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have used but ATT dropped the ball big time and so did microsoft.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The writer of this post is a fool. :)

Sense the OP has decided to not participate in this thread and some people don't read the forum rules about insulting other members I am closing this one down.

To note if you call someone a fool and I don't give you an infraction I must be in a good mood.

Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)