Paul Thurrott biased?

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/htc-windows-phone-8x-144722

He is of a great and respectable figure i guess. However, he claims that almost EVERYTHING in the 8X is the BEST, including a separate paragraph describing his personal experiences with the 8X camera.

"The HTC 8X, as I?ll call it, is the only smart phone on the market that edges past the iPhone 5 in terms of sheer beauty."

"Long-time readers know I?ve become somewhat obsessed about smart phone camera quality. I?ve been taking photos with this thing since Monday and the picture quality is superb, easily the best of any smart phone I?ve ever owned."

"The HTC 8X runs the world?s best smart phone software."

"The HTC Windows Phone 8X is the obvious choice. The only choice. And you?ll want one too."

"This is the best-sounding smart phone I?ve ever used."

Are you kidding me? This dude sounds like he's being paid by HTC for this review. There are so much inconsistency in his reviews. Sweeping statements such as BEST is most often avoided by reviewers. But this dude is using it everywhere. Kudos.

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You can't really trust anyone on the web unless you review their track record. Just assume they are biased and read numerous reviews.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
It is his opinion although I suspect there is some bias there, unfairly Microsoft shut him off from official sources for Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 and by extension Nokia. However I would agree the 8X is a fantastic phone, where Nokia wins in camera the 8x wins in sheer size and beauty. I do trust Paul, he is not a 'fan-boy' and says things as it is, thus Sinofsky didn't take a liking to him.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Got to be honest, the 8X and 920 are fabulous phones. Each with a feature set/form factor that will suit some people, and annoy others. I don't blame anyone for liking one more than another, and theres no reason why someone shouldn't prefer the Ativ S, 820, 8S, iPhone, or anything from Android.

Mobile phones would be dull if everyone wanted the same phone. Be glad there are soo many great alternatives.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
camera on 920 is not good

Well, it is not as good as Pureview 808, but I feel that it is the best for the low light as well as partial high light (sun shine, strong lights, etc.) ... it might not be the best one for the landscape pics during the day light, but in all other cases, it is the best phone camera on the market ... I am pretty sure that OIS also reduce clearly the unsharp shaked photos (caused by your hand shakes) compared on all the rest phone cameras ... it is my choice even over Pureview 808, because it is so easy to use - yeah, just an ordinary guy like me can get good photos with it - you do not need any camera skills to get good photos.....

Here is some night photos: Nokia 808 PureView & Lumia 920 in night mode | PureView Club

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
We have two very strong "flagship" phones for the launch. That means you are going to have split opinions. Some people will just fall in love with the HTC design. Some people will fall in love with the Lumia design.

At the end of the day if he wants to like the HTC 8X good for him it is not exactly a bad phone. Just be glad we aren't getting table scraps for phone designs this generation. Even the Lumia 920 the build quality IMO is 100x better then the 900 was.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If he thinks the 8x is the best Windows Phone on the market then so be it. I listen to Pauls' podcasts and for the most part he is always honest about his points of views. I believe he prefers the 8x's form factor and weight over the 920. And as of right now the 8x probably outdoes the 920 in daytime pictures. Paul also believes Windows Phone is the best OS on the market which I guarantee you against everyone else's opinion that covers tech news. The 8x is a beautiful phone and so is the 920. Personally, from just looking at pictures and never having seen either phone in real life I think the 8x edges out the 920 in the beauty category. Stat wise the 920 wins hands down.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Paul was given the 8x to try and not the 920. The 8x has some good aspects. However, I wouldn't trade my 920 for it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Everybody has a view of the world and what they like and not like; which one can call biase.
I agree with Paul on the iPhone 5's beauty. It is stunning; way above any smartphone in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Other reviewers tend to agree the styling, audio volume for music, and the daytime pictures are sharper. The Lumia 810 is in compariosn ugly, has Nokia apps, and holds a 64GB micro SD. Wrap 'em both up in armor--all protectorant in a fashionable wireless charging case and pop it into a Krussel Tumbla leather pouch and at the end of the day I think the Lumia better fits my needs. Or I'll wait until ATT decides to ship a CYAN phone

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Why is this even a thread? Paul is a tech journalist that, aside from writing articles based on fact, also writes articles based on HIS opinion. I can see why the 8X would appeal to him (and others). It's thinner, lighter than the 920, and some might even think it looks nicer too. And for anyone that's followed Paul the last few years this shouldn't be too surprising, he often likes to flip things around on his readers, who often disagree with him :lol:

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I held the 8x at the ATT store yesterday , honestly its a beautiful device and the camera is more than capable. If the Lumia 920 wasnt around , i would get the 8x, my dad was with me and he was immediately drawn to the 8x and picked it up and he said ' this is a very nice phone'. Then he picked up the lumia 920 and he told me , 'now this is what you call a quality phone, you can feel it, it just feels right, and i love the screen'. He told me , he said 'son i would definitely take the white lumia 920' (he fell in love with the white, we went there to look at the various colors on display) Now my dad is guy who doesnt know much about phones or cares much about them. So interesting statements from him.

Dont get me wrong, the 8x is a nice phone and it will sell, but in terms of overall quality, the 8x is no Lumia 920.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
dat matte yellow... would look so good on a 920. I just hope dat matte Grey makes it to at&t in ~2 months when I can upgrade for 99.

Michael Noel

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Have not read this guys review, but being torn between the 920 and 8X is painful. Why? Because as a designer for over 35 years I think the HTC 8X is one of the most beautiful pieces of hardware of this type I've ever seen. I also consider the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920 as beautiful designs. Holding them both in my hand side by side I cannot put the 8X down, I keep looking at the brilliance of the design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos