New to WP8 - Tips??

Reid Ponce

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am receiving my phone in a few hours and am coming from an iPhone 4. Super excited. I just wanted to know what tips anyone had for someone with 0 knowledge on the OS.

Also, is it still recommended to do a hard reset/restore out of the box for battery purposes? Anything you may think helpful, please post.

Thanks!

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello, Reid, and welcome to the Windows Phone Central forums! Congratulations on getting your new Windows Phone, which one are you receiving shortly? Have you checked out our tips and helpful tutorials on the main site? Be sure to also browse around the Windows Phone 8 discussions here on the boards. My tip to you - enjoy finding out everything about Windows Phone :)

Reid Ponce

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Rich! Yeah. I have read a lot of the forums, but haven't checked out any of the tutorials yet. I think I'll take a look at them now though, I appreciate it!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Pin the stuff you like, get used to the music app, may be significant change from your iphone itunes experience, change your settings so that you only have the apps running in the background that you want, you can do that under settings.

Just play around with it, dont compare to iphone cuz it is different and you should be fine. The OS is very easy to get used to, took me awhile to get used to android since there was so many settings within settings to get used to. I had an iPhone as well and it hink iPhone and WP7/8 are the OS's easist to get used to and use.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
When I moved from an IPhone a couple years ago i found myself doing things much faster. There's only one back button, and the rest is swipe, even within applications, just not the home screen.

Also, use the Bing search and swipe within it, very cool features. All in all, just mess around with it, and maybe look at a tip guide online, there are some not so obvious features that are very popular.

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a few friends move from iOS to WP and from watching them I would say that rethinking the way you view your phone is the best tip. Instead of going into the FB, Twitter or LinkedIn apps, take advantage of the live tiles and the integrated experience. Pin people and groups (especially yourself) to the start screen and use that to keep track of those that are closest to you. Nothing wrong with opening the apps (other than it taking longer), but trying to unlearn your app-centric ways is a good path toward taking advantage of the start screen.

By the way, welcome to WP! I hope that it's a fun ride for you.

BearJammerz

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I need help with this. I do really like the default lock screen background - dark starry sky with moon and shooting star. Where is it physically in the phone? If I change this pic, I might want to see/use it again. Anyone know where it is? or how to get it back? I can't seem to find it, thanks.

dalsmavsfan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I need help with this. I do really like the default lock screen background - dark starry sky with moon and shooting star. Where is it physically in the phone? If I change this pic, I might want to see/use it again. Anyone know where it is? or how to get it back? I can't seem to find it, thanks.

Go to lock screen there is an app as well can't remember the name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss