3 Problems: no mail client, error code when playing m4a, Lackluster web browser. HELP?!?!

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just got my lumia 920 yesterday and I love the aesthetics and MOST of the software features are awesome, however, after using it the whole day 3 problems quickly made me second guess my departure from my iphone 4s. they are as follows

1. No Mail Client - I have a 7 email address and i dont want each email to have it's own tile, i want a folder for all of my emails where i can view each inbox separately if i need to. Apple has this down perfectly. I thought for sure the lumia would have this as well but the only option is to merge all inboxes which i definitely don't want.

2. Music player problems - I had some trouble uploading my itunes library which is in m4a format but i was finally was able to get it onto my phone. However, now i am getting an error that says "sorry, we can't play this file on your phone" error code c00d5212. This is extremely annoying and i can't seem to find a fix online or anything. if anyone has any tips LMK.

3. Web browser - Internet explorer is pretty bad compared to safari. I don't love safari or anything but it's much easier to navigate pages and switch back and forth between pages etc. bookmarking and also the google search that safari has is also way better than the IE WP8 browser.

These are my issues and if i can't find some sort of workaround i'll be returning my phone and heading back to iphone most likely. It really sucks because i really love the 920, it's perfectly designed IMHO. I wanted WP8 to be a contender in the phone marketplace but for me it's just not up to par with the other OS available.

any suggestions to fix these problems are much appreciated. thanks in advance!

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
1. I agree. Kind of annoying, but I got used to it. I just have all my emails set to small tiles in one group.

2. Sorry can't help. I avoid iTunes like it's a plague.

3. I haven't played with it a whole lot, but Surfcube 3D seems like a pretty spiffy browser.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
3. Web browser - Internet explorer is pretty bad compared to safari. I don't love safari or anything but it's much easier to navigate pages and switch back and forth between pages etc. bookmarking and also the google search that safari has is also way better than the IE WP8 browser.

I was hoping that IE 10 would contain some significant UX improvements over the pre-WP8 one, but no joy there. And they won't allow non-IE based browsers too. navigating multiple pages is just cumbersome and I believe still limited to just 6 tabs.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
thanks for responding!

1. I agree. Kind of annoying, but I got used to it. I just have all my emails set to small tiles in one group.

but when they are set to small tiles, how do you know which is which? it's only when they are medium sized that you are able to see the names of the emails

the files are m4a which is aac which nokia supports. I'm trying to get away from itunes but this doesn't have much to do with itunes ya know. I'm just trying to play music on my device.

oh and i'm gonna checkout surf cube 3d

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping that IE 10 would contain some significant UX improvements over the pre-WP8 one, but no joy there. And they won't allow non-IE based browsers too. navigating multiple pages is just cumbersome and I believe still limited to just 6 tabs.

thanks for the reply!!! yea, what a shame. the browser is not smooth at all. no search bar next to address bar too. they need to step it up but i'm gonna try surfcube 3d as lazylemming recommended.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
When i dragged and dropped some m4a music files into my phone using my pc, it asked me to convert and it seems to work for me.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The address bar is the search bar. ;)

yea, but i don't like how it searches apps and all that stuff too. i just want a regular google search. maybe it's asking to much? i dunno, i guess i'm just used to iphone so i'm a bit spoiled perhaps lol. the browser is the least of my concerns though. mail client is #1 and then the music stuff is #2

When i dragged and dropped some m4a music files into my phone using my pc, it asked me to convert and it seems to work for me.

thanks man, i'll give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well #1 wasn't really intended to be a perfect answer.. It's just how I made do.
there are a few things that can help, icons from different major providers appears differently, so outlook accounts get one icon, Live accounts get another, gmail another, etc. You can also stagger the sizes somewhat to help differentiate.

Unfortunately there isn't another email client available that I know of, and trust me I feel your pain. I miss Touchdown in android, which was AWESOME. This has just been the best way I was able to work out this issue. I got used to it pretty quickly and am okay with it now, but your results may vary :)

And #2, I was just explaining why *I* have no idea how to resolve your problem.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
sorry if my replies seemed rude, not my intention. I was just asking more questions lol. i really appreciate your answers and suggestions though lazylemming

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just got my lumia 920 yesterday and I love the aesthetics and MOST of the software features are awesome, however, after using it the whole day 3 problems quickly made me second guess my departure from my iphone 4s. they are as follows

1. No Mail Client - I have a 7 email address and i dont want each email to have it's own tile, i want a folder for all of my emails where i can view each inbox separately if i need to. Apple has this down perfectly. I thought for sure the lumia would have this as well but the only option is to merge all inboxes which i definitely don't want.

2. Music player problems - I had some trouble uploading my itunes library which is in m4a format but i was finally was able to get it onto my phone. However, now i am getting an error that says "sorry, we can't play this file on your phone" error code c00d5212. This is extremely annoying and i can't seem to find a fix online or anything. if anyone has any tips LMK.

These are my issues and if i can't find some sort of workaround i'll be returning my phone and heading back to iphone most likely. It really sucks because i really love the 920, it's perfectly designed IMHO. I wanted WP8 to be a contender in the phone marketplace but for me it's just not up to par with the other OS available.

any suggestions to fix these problems are much appreciated. thanks in advance!

3. I haven't played with it a whole lot, but Surfcube 3D seems like a pretty spiffy browser.

1. Multiple inboxes: You can "link" ALL your email inboxes into one tile. Just click on the three dots to bring up settings and select link inboxes. From there you can choose which ones to display into one tile.

2. Music problems: Are you sure those files don't have protection on them? Might want to get the properties on them from within iTunes just to verify.

3. Browser: Comparing it Safari, sure it's bad. I would say IE10 is on its second iteration for mobile. Do you remember what Safari was like on its second? Pretty bad in comparison to where it's at now. Just give it time. At least IE10 is lightning quick and has tabs!

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1. Multiple inboxes: You can "link" ALL your email inboxes into one tile. Just click on the three dots to bring up settings and select link inboxes. From there you can choose which ones to display into one tile.

2. Music problems: Are you sure those files don't have protection on them? Might want to get the properties on them from within iTunes just to verify.

3. Browser: Comparing it Safari, sure it's bad. I would say IE10 is on its second iteration for mobile. Do you remember what Safari was like on its second? Pretty bad in comparison to where it's at now. Just give it time. At least IE10 is lightning quick and has tabs!

hey there mister2d. thanks for the replies

1. I know about the linking of all my inboxes into one giant inbox, but Ireally want to avoid that as i want to be able to go into each account to go into their own seperate folders. linking them all doesn't allow me to do that. so that's kind of my guff with the mail app

2. music: just double checked them to make sure they weren't protected and they definitely aren't. so i'm not sure, maybe it's a glitch with my device specifically. so bummed

3. yea, i hear ya on that for sure, i guess i was just expecting more.

I really love the hardware and most of the software on WP8 but it's just the little things that get to me. like everyone else. WP8 isn't for everyone nor is any OS really. I love the innovation of WP8 for sure, just wish these 3 things were different. i rely on my phone heavily for my business and i need to be quick with emails and accessing things on my phones.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
well that's definitely a start bellared. it's better and i'm rethinking returning the phone haha. now if i could just get the music sorted.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
On the search issue. I use an iphone5 for work and I wish I had the search button that windows phone has, it's so much better than having to scroll up to the top. Also, the search includes support for listening and identifying music, scanning qr codes etc. that iphone needs seperate apps for. FYI, the iphone screen is too small, the iphone5 is oddly shaped ... battery life has been poor so far not getting through a day with everything turned off and brightness down ... I know ... the 920 is having issues too ... the earpods are terrible (made from hard plastic with no foam or rubber and fall out and / or hurt) ... grass is not greener on the iphone side.

I think it's more just what you are used to, give it some time.

On the music front, I have no idea. the browser will definitely get better very quickly, so hang in there. If you (and everyone else) switch back to iphone, we'll just be stuck with that and Android. Give it at least a week.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
good points dogfish. you're right. I really just want to get the music situation sorted. I don't want to rip all of my cd's again to WMA lossless but i don't know what else to do here. it's very annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb