ATT rep brainwashing about 920 weight

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
This evening My coworker and I decided to stop by the ATT store after we grab a bite at Moe's by E. Greenbush, NY. As soon as we walked in, to the left (1st phone ) is the iCrap alone. Right after is 4 wp8..2 NL920 (1 blk, 1 white), 1 blk 820, 2 8X (1 yellow, 1 blue). I grabbed the white 920 to play with and he grabbed the blk. Shortly I decided to do a weight test by sizing it with my hand to see how heavy it is since Apple seem to have told every1 to say the 920 is too heavy. As i was doing that, the ATT rep approached and asked if he can help...we told him...just checking out the phone. Then he said "heavy isn't it?" My coworker was quite peeved and he told the ATT apple-paid douche "well i guess i just have to go to the gym to use this phone". Looks like the douche got the sarcasm and he immediately pulled out his elongated i5 and said "once u use i5 for a while, the 920 becomes heavy to u". My coworker was not having any of it...as he told him "since when is a 4 ounce phone too heavy??" I lol'd and the ATT douche slowly excused himself..My guess is that he is definitely an iFanist, and definitely his next move was to push the i5 to us and prolly also tell us "oh there's not a lot of apps" but all of that didn't happen as he realized we weren't a regular consumer and we weren't interested in his "Apple specific instruction about the 920 too heavy speech" so he vanished b4 we could really slap the Crapple out of him. It was quite annoying to witness and this is precisely why someone like me never buy in the store. BTW he also has a white 920 as his "ATT-forced work phone" but the i5 is his personal phone. Disappointing to say the least. The guy seem like one of those douche who reads giz, theverge alot. I really wish i was buying tonite.cuz i would have given that sales commission to any rep who wouldn't push his personal iCrap over. I'm with tmob and I'm still considering switching to ATT but im waiting to see if it can be unlocked for use on Tmob 3g.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my 920, the salesman that worked with me seemed really enthusiastic about WP8. Whether it was true or a facade or sell a phone, I don't know. But he seemed cool.

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow.... Couldn't be any more rude could you? Att reps are not paid by apple.... It was that reps personal decision to talk more about the iPhone.
Sent using Board Express on my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Was it a corporate store or authorized retailer? I truly can not fathom why these at&t employees still act like this with at&t being the premier windows phone carrier! The purpose of a retail salesperson is to help the consumer decide and not force his/her opinions onto them. This thanksgiving I'm going to give thanks for online purchasing!

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
P.s.... As an att rep I carry a Lumia and iPhone 5, and like them both. And use them both equally. I use my iPhone for apps and my Lumia for social networking and email.
Sent using Board Express on my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Try to buy it off contract on best buy, they might match AT&T price if you tell them or go to the Microsoft store and buy it there. Then use it with a sim card from Straight Talk , Net10 or H2O . They all use AT&T network. That's what i'm did with mine.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Good grief. Can we calm down with the stupid iPhone hate already?

AT&T employees aren't paid by Apple first of all. Second of all the 920 IS a heavy phone, I know, I have one. Doesn't matter, I like it, but the guy was making an observation and he happens to be right. If you look across the weight range of all current smartphones, the 920 is one of the heaviest. Deal with it.

I don't have an iPhone and I never have, but I know it's a great phone that works very well, it's very popular and has great apps. Windows Phone can learn a lot from the example. I prefer Windows Phone for a number of reasons, but the iPhone is good. Android I'm not very fond of, but that's another story, there are still great Android phones that have their own excellent attributes and they make their owners happy.

The only douches in that store were you and your friend trying to pick some nerd fight with the poor employee over what a phone weighs (assuming this silly story is even partially true)

You want to help Windows Phone? Show a guy like that what's great about the phone, why you like it so much. Instead you've left him with the impression that Windows Phone fans are bitter, dejected a-holes looking to pick nerd fights over inconsequential nonsense.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
P.S. While people like you are working yourselves into a frothy lather over "iCrap" this and "iFanists" the Android menace is steadily taking over the planet. Pull your head out of the sand and see where the real threat to Windows Phone is dude. Here's a hint: It wasn't designed in Cupertino.

cyanwinters

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my 920, the salesman that worked with me seemed really enthusiastic about WP8. Whether it was true or a facade or sell a phone, I don't know. But he seemed cool.

Same. He was even wearing a brightly colored Windows Phone shirt and talked about how great it was the whole time he was ringing me up. It was awesome. There was also tons of Windows 8 signage and promotion in the store.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I went into an AT&T near me three times this week and each time, customer service reps came straight toward me while I was playing with the Lumia 920. Every time, they wanted to sell me that phone. They never once mentioned the iPhone 5.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
When I worked for AT&T, I started right when WP7 came out, and we were all told to HEAVILY push the WP models. Honestly, I think I was the only one to not only like WP7, but also show it to people who were getting their first smartphone, or wanted something simple yet powerful. That being said, most people who work for the carriers don't give a **** about the latest phones, or keep up with release dates & tech stories. They just want to make their sales on new lines & accessories, and have you not come back complaining.

So want to know the REAL reason he pushed the iPhone so hard? People don't return iPhones for other models because it's a known quantity, and his commissions won't suffer because of it.

Edit: Wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, it's just honestly. Everyone knows the iPhone, most people have used it in some capacity or another. If they get one and don't understand it, they know they have a dozen friends at the least they can ask for help. Android is JUST starting to get that status, it used to be the "geek" smartphone. Blackberry support could be through their company's IT dept. But Windows? Most people don't even realise these forums EXIST, and would never think about searching for it.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
When I worked for AT&T, I started right when WP7 came out, and we were all told to HEAVILY push the WP models. Honestly, I think I was the only one to not only like WP7, but also show it to people who were getting their first smartphone, or wanted something simple yet powerful. That being said, most people who work for the carriers don't give a **** about the latest phones, or keep up with release dates & tech stories. They just want to make their sales on new lines & accessories, and have you not come back complaining.

So want to know the REAL reason he pushed the iPhone so hard? People don't return iPhones for other models because it's a known quantity, and his commissions won't suffer because of it.

Edit: Wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, it's just honestly. Everyone knows the iPhone, most people have used it in some capacity or another. If they get one and don't understand it, they know they have a dozen friends at the least they can ask for help. Android is JUST starting to get that status, it used to be the "geek" smartphone. Blackberry support could be through their company's IT dept. But Windows? Most people don't even realise these forums EXIST, and would never think about searching for it.

If you worked for them then you should know better. Sorry but reps aren't supposed to inflict their will on people. If a customer asks "what do you recommend", then fine.

I'm not sure if they still do it (because I got my 920 online) but if you activate a phone at retail, AT&T sends out a customer satisfaction survey asking to rate your experience. One of the questions was "Did the representative attending you try to steer you to a phone not of your choosing?". I know they do it all the time but they are technically not supposed to.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Sadly though, sometimes we had to. When the Pre launched on Sprint, and everyone was in love with it, the reps saw the awful return rate the first few weeks... For a while, we steered everyone away. When the Samsung Moment and the Intrepid came out, they were two AWFUL phones, and at least locally reps refused to sell them.

I agree that if someone comes in asking about WP8 and they say "Oh, you don't want that, you want an iPhone!" it's poor customer service. But if someone says "I want a TON of apps, I want it to work flawlessly with my mac and instagram is THE MOST important feature to me" you'd be a damn fool NOT to steer them away from WP8. The key is to talk to the customer about what they want and need for a few minutes, get to know them, then pick out what would be right for them. Give them 2-3 options (any more will confuse them) and steer them not to what YOU like, but what fits their needs best.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
this evening my coworker and i decided to stop by the att store after we grab a bite at moe's by e. Greenbush, ny. As soon as we walked in, to the left (1st phone ) is the icrap alone. Right after is 4 wp8..2 nl920 (1 blk, 1 white), 1 blk 820, 2 8x (1 yellow, 1 blue). I grabbed the white 920 to play with and he grabbed the blk. Shortly i decided to do a weight test by sizing it with my hand to see how heavy it is since apple seem to have told every1 to say the 920 is too heavy. As i was doing that, the att rep approached and asked if he can help...we told him...just checking out the phone. Then he said "heavy isn't it?" my coworker was quite peeved and he told the att apple-paid douche "well i guess i just have to go to the gym to use this phone". Looks like the douche got the sarcasm and he immediately pulled out his elongated i5 and said "once u use i5 for a while, the 920 becomes heavy to u". My coworker was not having any of it...as he told him "since when is a 4 ounce phone too heavy??" i lol'd and the att douche slowly excused himself..my guess is that he is definitely an ifanist, and definitely his next move was to push the i5 to us and prolly also tell us "oh there's not a lot of apps" but all of that didn't happen as he realized we weren't a regular consumer and we weren't interested in his "apple specific instruction about the 920 too heavy speech" so he vanished b4 we could really slap the crapple out of him. It was quite annoying to witness and this is precisely why someone like me never buy in the store. Btw he also has a white 920 as his "att-forced work phone" but the i5 is his personal phone. Disappointing to say the least. The guy seem like one of those douche who reads giz, theverge alot. I really wish i was buying tonite.cuz i would have given that sales commission to any rep who wouldn't push his personal icrap over. I'm with tmob and i'm still considering switching to att but im waiting to see if it can be unlocked for use on tmob 3g.

nerd raaaaggggeeeee!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think you are placing WAYYYY too much blame on Apple here. I don't think they are to blame at all. One rep I talked to mentioned the weight, and he was a 900 user excited for the 920 launch. Conspiracy theories are ridiculous.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Damn OP, did you really think you guys were cool at the store? Then coming home to post using retard words like Crapple, iFanist, iCrap to talk about this "douche" employee.

Did you care to tell him that part of the reason why the 920 was so thick and heavy was because of the technology that was packed into it that his iPhone5 lacked? Instead, you and your buddy decided to become the worst types of fanboys. Sounds like you read stories and complaints from various posts on this forum and other tech sites and compiled them all into this "Hey, I'm an attention whore" thread. Who cares what you ate at E. Greenbush, NY?

Sorry OP, but you and your buddy were the douche cannons that day....not the employee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb