920 Made Me Re-Evaluate Apps

TonyStarks260

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

Im new to the forums, but have been an on and off again WP user since the Focus came out. Anyhow, i recently returned my IP5 to get back in the game with the L920. I did alot of review reading beforehand and it seems like the main idea behind all of them was the lack off app ecosystem. So when i took a good look at my iphone before i turned it in, i realized the amount of garbage on my phone i never used.

The whole app situation is completely overblown, its sad. I can only speak for myself, but coming back to windows phone, i got a chance to slim my apps down to what i really use. and im just as productive with WP as i was with iOS.

The iOS app store is a security blanket for many people. I just realized that i dont need to have 30 zombie shooters to choose from on my phone. And the well designed apps on windows phone (Metrotube and WPCentral expecially) are IMO laid out better than anything ive used on other platforms.

If anyone out there is having reservations about making a switch, take some time and think about what you use on a daily. I'm glad i did, and didnt miss out on such a stellar phone.

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Yes, there is room for improvement, but sheer numbers are pretty much irrelevant. If there's one app that does the job well on the OS, that's just as good as 100 apps of which only 1 does a good job. Glad you made the switch and are liking it, I can't wait to get mine.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I quite enjoy the ability to NOT have all of your apps on the home screen, or a second, or third, or fiftieth home screen page if you don't want to (as it is handled by iOS). I also quite enjoy the way that games are handled; they are within their own "app". I would love for MS to take cues from this success and allow us to make more "folders" like this to make the app list even shorter. Even still, the app list is the most navigable of any OS I have seen with the quick alphabetical links. This part of the OS I have no qualms with. It is well done. Very.

justcurious#WN

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's the quality of apps that is the issue, but the quality. Many of the apps I use on my iPhone 5 just aren't as well developed on Windows phone. That being said, I still love my new lumia 920.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's the quality of apps that is the issue, but the quality. Many of the apps I use on my iPhone 5 just aren't as well developed on Windows phone. That being said, I still love my new lumia 920.

Agreed. Some of them blow me away. One that comes to mind is Yelp. On WP all the features are there, except that you can't write a review. Say WHAT?! Isn't that one of the biggest features of the service? You eat. You love it or you hate it. You glorify or bash the place. That, in a nutshell, is yelp!

Another example is Facebook. The App is terrible. Admittedly, it was terrible on iOS here up until a few months ago as well.

I will say, for the most part, apps are up to snuff though.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
A lot of what defines "quality" on iOS is more "familiarity." The iOS is now almost six years old, with few significant changes in UI, so apps look "mature" and are often on their 10th or 11th revisions. As a result, they're polished and familiar, but also boring and somewhat limited by the rapidly aging iOS UI.

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. Granted, there are still some apps that I use that aren't available on my lumia, but it's more so the quality of the apps that I have a problem with. Hopefully that will change now that windows 8 is here.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Granted, there are still some apps that I use that aren't available on my lumia, but it's more so the quality of the apps that I have a problem with. Hopefully that will change now that windows 8 is here.
This is what I, and I think MS, are banking heavily on.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Some of them blow me away. One that comes to mind is Yelp. On WP all the features are there, except that you can't write a review. Say WHAT?! Isn't that one of the biggest features of the service? You eat. You love it or you hate it. You glorify or bash the place. That, in a nutshell, is yelp!

Unfortunately, the WP8 version doesn't come close to "all the features". It doesn't let you log in to your Yelp account at all, so no friends, no check-ins, no messaging, no offers.. It's just a metro'd up search, which sucks for me, because it's the only app from my android homescreen that I haven't been able to match on WP8. I use foursqure also, but have like 10 times as many friends on yelp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs