Group Messaging Issue - Please Help

achi21smile

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with group messaging on the Lumia 920.

So my friend sent me a group message and under recipients, my own phone number was included as well. Therefore, when I replied to the message thread, I ended up receiving a separate message back to myself. I'm guessing this issue arises because the phone fails to recognize its own phone number. How can I tackle this problem?

Also, I've enabled 'group text' under messaging settings.

Thank you all for your help and support.

Last edited:

David Friedman

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. Add yourself as a contact in your phone, I added my self as a contact via outlook and it fixed my issue, I believe adding yourself as a contact directly into the phone will have the same impact and resolve your group texting issue.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what phone the people in your group is using, if they are using an android phone without an app to convert their messages to MMS, any reply from them and any reply from you will be separate.

Windows phones and iPhones support group texting, android does not yet i believe, they need an app to do so.

Now if you are all iphones/windows phones and no android, i believe the iphone group text needs to be turned on.

I've done group texting, iphone users no problem, stays within the thread, android doesn't unless they get the app.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had this issue as well - my friends use iPhones so I will check with them on this. I had no issue with my Lumia 900, though.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

achi21smile

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.

My friend used an iPhone to send the group message to me and another iPhone. So I'm not sure what would happen if someone was using an android device to send group text. As dlp23 pointed out, it would depend on the app one is using to send the message.

On the other hand, as Friedman suggested, adding yourself as a contact seems to have fixed the issue for me. I added myself in the address book(synced with gmail contacts) as a contact under 'Me'. My phone also received a minor update, at the same time, for a couple of phone apps including messaging on the very same day. So I'm not entirely sure if it was adding myself that resolved the issue or the update.

Thanks

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine got a 8x monday and is having the same problem with group messaging. Now he told me he was group messaging with two other people who have WP...I think he told me they have Lumia 900s. But here is the problem besides seeing him self in the replies, his name is Brian in the picture below, he is also seeing "no subject" like the message was sent from an email address or something. I have never seen "no subject" for any group messaging on windows phone...have any of you? Also if you have how do you get rid of it or can you get rid of it?

I read the fix above of adding yourself to the contacts i'll have him do that to see if that fixes that part.

V__CFEE.jpg

Attachments

• V__CFEE.jpg
    V__CFEE.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
A friend of mine got a 8x monday and is having the same problem with group messaging. Now he told me he was group messaging with two other people who have WP...I think he told me they have Lumia 900s. But here is the problem besides seeing him self in the replies, his name is Brian in the picture below, he is also seeing "no subject" like the message was sent from an email address or something. I have never seen "no subject" for any group messaging on windows phone...have any of you? Also if you have how do you get rid of it or can you get rid of it?

I read the fix above of adding yourself to the contacts i'll have him do that to see if that fixes that part.

https://15hdxw.bay.livefilestore.co...QQKQK4YA-th3q4IEQs2AQIj87n/V__CFEE.jpg?psid=1
There is an option in the messaging settings to include a subject, IIRC. Turn that off.

Exactly how do you do this? Step by step. I don't seem to be able to get this to work no matter how long or how hard I try. Thank You!
On Verizon? If so, Verizon disabled group messaging.

Andy Whitaker

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Bump... Anyone figured this out yet?? Just got a Lumia 920 and when I send group messages, it send the message to the other recipients but also sends the message back to me. I have added myself as a contact in my phone but the problem still occurs... How do you fix this?!?!? it's super frustrating

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
fortunately I don't have the self-messaging problem but I do have the "no subject" issue.
All T-Mobile user experience this issue, including using T-Mobile branded WP

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Started to have this issue since I switched from Straight Talk to Airvoice. Tried adding myself as an Outlook.com contact. Didn't help with the +1 phone number or without the +1 part of it (added mobile and mobile2).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans