Cyan Lumia 920 missing from WalMart now

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So, I ordered a cyan Lumia 920 from WalMart on 11/11/12 about 1:00 AM, for the price of $49.99 on contract. I'm approved but awaiting stock (and getting a little frustrated). Now I can't find the cyan 920 listed on their site. Plus, now the only color they offer is white, and that is for $69.99 on contract. Before they were offering white, black, red, yellow, and cyan, and they were all $49.99 on contract.

Just wanted to vent some frustrations and put this out to the masses.

lg89

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Ordered mine on the 12th from Walmart as well. Sent them an email. They told me they don't know when they'll restock. Ridiculous.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I seriously can't tell if there is a legitimate high demand for this device or if Nokia only made like 300 of them or something, I hope its the former.

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It also interesting to note that even on AT&T's site the cyan, yellow, and red 920's are all listed as "Out of Stock". I really hope this is because demand is so high. I'd hate to think Nokia started pushing a product with a huge and expensive marketing campaign, only to find they did so with a small quantity of stock on hand. Unfortunately, it seems that us early adopters are learning to accept disappointment. I'm just glad my first gen. Focus is still serving me well.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Each carrier has different requirements. Nokia really can't afford to make a ton of each color, because they don't know which carriers will buy what.

In the US, AT&T I'd in charge of ordering stock from Nokia for the 920. They tell Nokia what the demand will be, and how much stock they need to have to meet demand.

Several posters here have spoken to CSRs and CSR management and have come with a pretty consistent story when it comes to supply. AT&T didn't anticipate this much initial demand for the colored units.

The fact that the yellow and cyan were online-only from the start is telling. They didn't want to order a bunch of colorful phones and have them sit at stores or in the warehouse.

They misread the market.

I have no doubt that yellow was in very short supply to begin with. Then cyan. Next red.

However, because of the extremely aggressive pricing, the in-store ads, and the newest AT&T mailer, I imagine that they did order quite a lot of black, and maybe white.

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Winning Guy. I guess I didn't think of it from that point. The only issue I have with what you said is AT&T has already experienced selling the cyan 900, which was supposed to be the most popular color. Unfortunately though, they still have cyan 900's for sale on their site, which also supports your statement of not wanting extra colorful stock on the shelves. At the same time, it also seemed like cyan was a late addition to the 920's color scheme, which could be part of the problem too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa