Can anyone actually believe this ????? EE/P4U/N920 debacle

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok everyone my saga is now over. It did take me another three hours today though !

Went to EE they gave me yet another SIM card which worked in the GS3.
I put it in the Lumia and it didn't !
Put it back in the GS3 and it didn't work again

The guy in the shop was baffled & we were beginning to think the Lumia was faulty.

Then some guy at EE HQ reckoned that because I bought it from P4U and I put in an EE sim card it wont work and it it actually corrupts the sim !
This sounded like cock and bull to me but as I was now on my third SIM demonstrating this behaviour so I had no choice but to accept.

EE told me to go back to P4U and tell them to give one of their EE sims SIM and do a SIM swap via the EE activation line.

I thought yeah right - I know what reception I will get at P4U if I ask this but the guy at EE knows the guy in P4U and phoned ahead for me !

The service at P4U was really good they (they were even prepared to swap my Lumia & yes they had stock) but first they put in one of their EE Sims and it worked.
They did a SIM swap via EE activations and hey presto my Lumia is 4g and ready to go.

P4U also said what EE were saying about corrupt SIM cards was wrong but it does seem very strange that the only card that worked was a EE card from P4U.

I know have 4g at work and at home !

Happy camper

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I did an experiment over the weekend. I bought mine from an EE store so I went and ordered a load of sims which I know go off T-Mobile/Orange/EE just to see if they work.

T-Mobile - Works Fine
Orange UK - Works Fine
Chitter Chatter - Works Fine
Virgin Mobile - Works Fine

Cheers for this info

Can you confirm the one you bought wasn't a White one ?
I have a white one exclusive to EE (see my saga above) and I have tried an orange sim and it didn't work.

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I got the PAYG deal and called Orange to port my account and number to the PAYG SIM in the phone. Was told the usual wait for 24 hours to port. Nothing happened so ended up going into an EE store where they put in a new SIM and made the account/number swop on site. 2 hours later I was ready to go. Think the PAYG SIM sold with the phone will not accept a new account or work on pay monthly.

Spearchucker

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My problem is similar. I've documented the whole ordeal on my blog.

At this point it seems my problem is related to the SIM card and Windows Phone 8. I imagine Microsoft, Nokia and HTC are working on this, but I've not found an official statement anywhere, from anyone.

Given how frustratingly pointless EE support is, I've contacted the community admin on the EE site, who said yesterday that she'd passed my "issue" onto her support team. I have yet to hear back.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for this info

Can you confirm the one you bought wasn't a White one ?
I have a white one exclusive to EE (see my saga above) and I have tried an orange sim and it didn't work.

Mines Matte Black :)
I went into my EE store, bought it on Orange PAYG, called up Orange, number ported from my Pay monthly big sim to the micro sim in 4 hours.

I know its going to sound daft but I've now heard 4 instances of it, when you buy it on PAYG, what network are you asking it on? T-Mobile or Orange?

tiggertaebo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad you finally got sorted OP :)

To be honest EE have been pretty shocking over the L920 - after weeks of dropping into their stores and getting wildly conflicting information when they actually did have them it didn't go any better - firstly I had to wait 20 minutes to be seen to then, when I did get to talk to someone he went through all the security rigmarole to get my account details (existing Orange customer upgrading) and get my usage so he could "tailor a package". He then read out my average bill and usage and using those details (900mins a month, 800 texts and 11Mb data) decided that somehow the 500mb data plan I was already on was insufficent. Checking my details was all a waste of time anyway since he said he could only do the phone on the fixed packages they were offering which was ?41 a month on Orange and ?40 up front or ?36 a month and ?129.99 for the phone on EE (so much for "tailoring") so I sacked them off and went round the corner to Phones4U who couldn't have been more helpful. They did me the exact same plan as the ?41pcm that I was offered in EE for ?36 a month and the phone for free, oh and a free wireless charger. In the past I've avoided P4U (largely down to their incredibly annoying ad campaigns more than anything) but I honestly can't fault them on this experience. Not sure on the situation of locked vs unlocked but mine is a white one using an Orange SIM if that's any use.

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. My deductions are pretty similar, but I've not tried a SIM swap through Phones4U. Looking after my son today, so will definitely try tomorrow!

I have read your blog and I can tell you that the card that worked finally worked in my N920 from P4U was the small one on the far left (your first card). Get P4U to put a fresh one in your L920 and if you get signal bars rather than the no entry sign where the SIM should be then you good to go with a SIM swap.

Would be really interested to hear how you get on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077