OK so here's the fat question: who's decided to return their device?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
All the commotion regarding the size and weight of the phone was without merit. The phone isn?t so heavy to hold that you need to spend more time at the gym in order to use it. The build quality is classy, the screen is gorgeous and with some futzing around the camera on the 920 isn?t bad at all. You know who doesn?t like to futz with camera settings? A lot of people this phone could be marketed to.

To be fair, I haven?t used my 920?s camera too much. I think some of that has to do with convenience factor as much as just being in the right situation to use it. The camera on the 920 doesn?t come on instantly. Because of the slight delay getting there I tend to miss a shot. By comparison the HTC One X had a near instantaneous camera switch and I could unload with dozens of shots in succession in order to achieve that perfect picture. Doesn?t mean the 920 has a bad camera or the One X has the best camera. A phone with a built in DSLR would be ideal but I wouldn?t want to pay $1,000 subsidized for the privilege.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I had to return mine after having really bad battery performance and tried to do a factory reset in the settings to see if that would help but then it got bricked. Great phone hardware but the bad battery killed it got me and when it got bricked I had to get rid of it. Sucks because I paid $90 to get it unlocked.

prissysox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm 7 days in and haven't made up my mind yet. I didn't pay anything for it (with a gift card and price match) and I still have my HOX. I love the voice features while in the car. Never have to take phone out of pocket to hear and respond to texts. Screen animations and transitions are awesome. I love my HOX but you get really tired of the loading screen when you go to your home screen.

Once I turned off Tap + Share and made sure I don't leave apps like drive running in the back ground then my battery life has been excellent. I was on phone call four hours Saturday from 7am-11am. have push notifications, couple more calls, some web browsing and at 9 pm I still had three hours of battery left. My HOX would have never done that. Overall I love the phone except for a couple of small issues which I have stated in other threads. Biggest being custom notification sounds and individual text tones. I miss being able to know who was contacting you and how. If they bake that into OS or Ringo makes an app I will be set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddash

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine looked like it had a dark screen protector on it too until I disabled the automatic brightness adjust.

Settings < brightness < Automatically adjust - Off

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i got a black 920 on launch day. to use with my mac. i was very impressed with it first off. for about a week everything was great. it would get kinda hot if i used it too much.

then i noticed the glaring issue. i need internet sharing, the internet hotsot feature would turn on, but then it would not work. or it would only work for 30 seconds to a minute. then my computers would not drop connection, but the connection just wouldn't work. tried it multiple times. with a mac, and a windows computer. and the only fix was to restart the phone. and then try again. then it would only work for a little bit again.

battery life was not great, when i got home from my trip i decided to do a device reset. it successfully reset. and it still had the internet sharing problem. so i tried to sync my music back up. i figured it was just a bug, and maybe a patch would fix it later. but then the sync app would crash when i plugged my phone in. weird, so i tried again, and crash.. tried about 30 more times. every single time it would crash. couldn't get it working after that. at this point i just got so fed up that i knew i was going to go back to the store.

i originally wanted to steer clear of the iphone because i'm worried about the aluminum bending.. but i really like the iphone software. so i went ahead and got an iphone 5 64 gig.

but anyways. other things i didn't like about the nokia 920

i don't like the touch sensitive buttons. they are too easy to accidentally hit. i would always be trying to browse the internet, and i would try to reach the back button, which is hard to do because it's so big. i have smallish hands so thats another reason i dislike the phone. even though the phone WAS technically bigger. the iphone's screen doesn't seem smaller, because i just hold it a couple inches closer.

the speech was not that great compared with siri, after using siri for a day on my way home. Wow, theres a big difference, siri almost always gets what you said. you can use it to text, you can have it type on the keyboard in any app. you can ask it real language questions.

nokia maps were pretty good. i had NO problems whatsoever driving my rental car around in a completely new to me city.

Last edited:

dhruvz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I returned the 920

The weight is not really a bother to me. I am curious though as to what kind of metal is in these suckers. I keep checking Youtube daily frequently to see if someone posts a disassembly video.

What i would guess for the weight being a little 50 grams more is the fact that it has probably and inductor coil like something for wireless charging, the camera lens float on springs, and then there's magnets around the camera (yes, embedded magnets) for easily attaching filters on your L920.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm really digging the 920, but I'm on the fence about keeping it. The single biggest issue for me is the battery life. It isn't that mine is bad, but it's inconsistent. I rely far too much on my phone to have to "manage" the battery all day. I am thinking about returning it for the Galaxy Note II.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the 920 to the 8x. Reason being? First off, while I can lift and manage the bulky device, it wasn't a NATURAL fit for me. Putting a case on it made it much more bulky especially for a 4.5 inch screen. So without the protector it was very slippery (I had a glossy white) so I was always afraid of dropping it. And don't dare say these things are indestructible. I've seen a few accidents posted here and other places already. I also don't see why they chose to go with that silver camera area too. It got scratches on the 900, why do this again? Also, I like the sound better through headphones on my 8x. Not night and day better, but noticeable.

SO at the end of the day, the main factor was not weight, but ergonomics. The 8x was easily the more grab and go device. May have a couple short comings in comparison to the 920, but not enough that I miss the 920 alot. So what they have apps. I have a car with navigation that is better than nokia drive. The other apps they are getting exclusively for a few months, no big deal. Help work out all the bugs for the community so by the time other devices get it then it's more polished. Thanks for your services. lol. I really do wish Nokia would revamp their technology to be smaller. With a phone that size, yes the camera tech and all that better be top notch.

EDIT:Also, my wife's 8x had way better battery life. I got like 8-9 with my 920. My wife was getting mid 15-18 with moderate use. A couple phone calls, reddit all day and a few videos. I'm getting about that much now with my 8x.

Last edited:

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The camera facia on the 920 is made of a special metal that does not scratch. Same with the buttons.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm really digging the 920, but I'm on the fence about keeping it. The single biggest issue for me is the battery life. It isn't that mine is bad, but it's inconsistent. I rely far too much on my phone to have to "manage" the battery all day. I am thinking about returning it for the Galaxy Note II.

Currently using a note 2 and the battery life is amazing. Phone is off the charger at 6:30am and by 11:30pm with heavy use and 4-5 hours of screen time I'm at 40-50%. Screen is at full brightness with auto shut off and zero battery saving measures activated.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I think OP can handle the weight, but the bulk was just too much.

I believe the Samsung ATIV S is larger than the Lumia 920?

Also, to the OP, the size of the phone is due to the built-in features of the Lumia 920. Wireless charging, the floating-lense camera, large battery, etc. It's the things people like about the Lumia 920 that make it the size it is.

Huh? I never complained about the weight or size of the phone, im not a sissy.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Hi everyone,
I found this forum/thread yesterday and created an account today. I will create a separate thread to see if anyone has any suggestions, but what really bugs me about this phone/OS is that I cannot find a car stereo receiver that I can hook my phone up to (via USB; I don't like using the Aux port) to play music. The main reason I bought an iPhone years back was to eliminate the need to carrying around a smartphone and an iPod.
I was hoping that I could hook up my Lumia 920 to a car stereo (any stereo; I stopped at Best Buy last night and none of them worked) and have it read the music much like a USB flash disk, but I was very disappointed when I couldn't. It's like being back in 2007. :p

Is it enough to make me return it? It might be...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, what do you have against using the AUX port? Is it because you cannot use the controls from your car's stereo to navigate your music library?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Currently using a note 2 and the battery life is amazing. Phone is off the charger at 6:30am and by 11:30pm with heavy use and 4-5 hours of screen time I'm at 40-50%. Screen is at full brightness with auto shut off and zero battery saving measures activated.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

ZfZx9.gif

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, what do you have against using the AUX port? Is it because you cannot use the controls from your car's stereo to navigate your music library?
No, but it is certainly nice to be able to fast-forward via my steering wheel remote.

My main complaint is that the Aux port (when using my iPhone) doesn't sound as good as it does when I use the USB port. Also, I have two spots I have to control the volume (the radio and the phone), which is annoying. Then add in the ability to charge the phone while the music is playing from the same connection and you simply can't beat it.

I was under the impression that WP7 devices could be seen as a "Disk Drive" via most car stereos, so I was hopeful that WP8 would have the same functionality. :(

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Stay mad,

I'm also rocking a brand new Note 2 and can vouch for everything he said. This is the best phone I've ever owned out performs my 920, no build defects, no getting your hands burnt and a dissapearing battery, every app I used on iOS can be found on Android. WP8 is way too infant and nokia has lost every ounce of quality control they might've once had.

When my replacement lumia 920 finally gets to me from Rogers, I think I'm sending it back or straight to ebay/craigslist =)

off charger at 8am, by the end of work at 5pm, I am around 75% battery after heavy LTE usage. I never need to charge this thing.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Stay mad,

I'm also rocking a brand new Note 2 and can vouch for everything he said. This is the best phone I've ever owned out performs my 920, no build defects, no getting your hands burnt and a dissapearing battery, every app I used on iOS can be found on Android. WP8 is way too infant and nokia has lost every ounce of quality control they might've once had.

When my replacement lumia 920 finally gets to me from Rogers, I think I'm sending it back or straight to ebay/craigslist =)

off charger at 8am, by the end of work at 5pm, I am around 75% battery after heavy LTE usage. I never need to charge this thing.

ypK8d.gif

Bye.

http://forums.androidcentral.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro