OK so here's the fat question: who's decided to return their device?

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, no trolling here:

Just wanted to hear from people who decided to leave windows phone 8 and the lumia. Did you go back to apple/android? Or another windows phone 8 device? What was the tipping point in your decision and why did you ultimately go back to your previous device?

Personally, I still haven't made up my mind yet. There's a few apps that are missing that I'd like to use (like my bank app) but its not a big deal since I have my nexus 7 which I absolutely enjoy to use now that 4.2 is out. The lumia is noticeably smoother than my one x and my one x is rooted with a custom ROM and all that de/lagging stuff. I think my personal biggest reason to want to stay with the lumia is my crack head flash friendly time waisting lust towards new Roms and setups. After a few years of dealing with debloating, rooting, unlocking and going into every app to shut off power drainers like "automatic checking in via GPS" and stupid push notifications its really a relief to just use the phone, as a phone. Perhaps what makes it even better is that my nexus 7 is still around if I feel like messing with Roms.

I wish Nokia had more accessories that actually matter, like a nice car dock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going back to my 900 until I can buy and sync my xbox video content.
I do think the screen isn't as good as the 900 screen...I miss my inky blacks having said that the camera is kick @ss.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmph. That is kind of a bummer. I have never bought stuff like movies or shows on any system though I can see why that would ruin your experience.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
this is a great question and one that I am debating right now as I have my GS3 sitting next to my 920. I use CM10 on my GS3 as my daily driver ROM and while it is pretty stable, the battery life leaves much to be desired. Let me say first that I really like WP. The OS is designed as a phone first while Android is kind of a computer OS running on a phone. But there are functions in WP that are missing and Im not just taking about the apps. You cant reject a call with a SMS? You cant take a picture while filming a video? These are small things that I use frequently, that just dont exist in WP, or I havent been able to find them. It also takes many more steps to do certain tasks. Like launching a web site from favorites in a new tab. If I have got this right, you have to hit settings, then hit tabs, then hit the plus symbol then back to settings, back to favorites and then launch. Compare this to Android. Press the tabs button, press bookmarks, long press on the page you want to launch an select open in new tab. Thats a three step process as compared to 5. WP cold alleviate by giving you the option when you long press the favorite you want to launch, but you only get two options, edit and delete. This is one example but this lack of depth is visible throughout the OS. I also think the phone is too big. Its not that it hurts my arm or anything but it creates a noticeable bulge in my jean pocket and it weighs down my pant pockets in a big way. The phone is almost the exact same size as my GS3 but the screen is visibly smaller. It just seems like you dont get all the benefit from the size of the phone.

On the plus size, the email client is so far superior to Android its not even funny. Its actually the best email client I have every used, better than IOS as well. Being able to swipe right on time to get unread is so awesome it cant be understated. I still haven't figured out a way to sort my email by unread on Android. This is a feature I use all the time. I also really like the people hub. What a great way to keep up on the friends you want to keep up on. Battery life for me has been pretty good. On my first day with the phone, I was discharging at around 4.5% an hour. I would expect this to get better with a few more charge cycles.

Finally apps are a concern. I have most of the ones I need but a few apps that are key for me and are gnawing at me for not having them. United airlines, Starbucks and Concur solutions are three. Oh, and Im slightly OCD about my battery level and not having the % on the screen is really annoying. I know there are apps for that but then only update every 30 minutes??

In the end, I have a feeling I will go back to my GS3 but the decision wont be an easy one.

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of either getting the Samsung ativ s or 822. I do think the amoled on the 900 is superior even at a lower pixel ratio. My main issue is that all colors look washed. The whites even look bad. They don't look white; more like dull yellowish white- off white. I like the cool white vs warm off white. It can be a known issue bc its on the list of issues but this doesn't seem to bother anyone? or they aren't having it as bad as me. This really bugs me because really want to keep my 920. I look at the screen more than anything else and I feel like I downgraded from 900 to 920. I understand that amoled has better contrast and black however ips lcd is supposted to have better whites. This is not the case my 900 looks better both whites, blacks, and colors; even on brightness on high. I compared it to a iphone4 and 5, galaxy 3, 8x, onex, motoroll rzr hd. They all make the l920 screen look washed out. It looks like theres a dark screen protector on. I even swapped 2 x and get same results. Maybe a bad batch of matte blacks in Chicago? I compared it to other 920s that aren't matte black they look better too however I want a matte black 920. the reps saw the difference so they swapped it and still has same issue all Chicago stores ran out of matte black. My fianc? says maybe the nokia 920 just sucks. I love everything else about the phone however doesn't do any good if screen display looks bad. even in videos and pics. this really disappoints me I really want to love this phone.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine is going back due to the loose battery. It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't make a noise that ruins my videos (phone works just fine, but moving around while taking a video results in loud banging noises...). That said, I will stay WP8. Most likely another 920 for me, maybe an 8x. I'll decide when I get back to my store today.

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
These are small things that I use frequently, that just dont exist in WP, or I havent been able to find them. It also takes many more steps to do certain tasks. Like launching a web site from favorites in a new tab. If I have got this right, you have to hit settings, then hit tabs, then hit the plus symbol then back to settings, back to favorites and then launch. Compare this to Android. Press the tabs button, press bookmarks, long press on the page you want to launch an select open in new tab. Thats a three step process as compared to 5. WP cold alleviate by giving you the option when you long press the favorite you want to launch, but you only get two options, edit and delete.

There's a setting in ie to which you change things that may help a little. You can change the stop/refresh button to tabs or favorites. also under advanced setting in settings in ie, theres an option to open links in new tab. Hopefully that helps. This is newer. I had a focus wp7 and it used to just open new tabs. Im not sure why they changed that.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm second guessing my new phone choice as well. I've got a perfectly working L900 sitting here at home as well as an unlocked Nexus. I bought a L920 off contract and the $449 is pretty tough to swallow. I really love using the L900 as a daily driver but there are so many features I miss from my Nexus. The L900 screen looks great outside, the camera is acceptable to me, and I LOVE how Xbox music is the first choice for music on the phone.

There really does';t seem to be a larger enough gap between WP7 and WP8.... Or between my L900 or my new L920..

The Nexus just seems to have much more going to it. Mint app, Pocket app, Flipboard.... The integration with Google is deep with the Nexus and Google has shown very little love to WP.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm second guessing my new phone choice as well. I've got a perfectly working L900 sitting here at home as well as an unlocked Nexus. I bought a L920 off contract and the $449 is pretty tough to swallow. I really love using the L900 as a daily driver but there are so many features I miss from my Nexus. The L900 screen looks great outside, the camera is acceptable to me, and I LOVE how Xbox music is the first choice for music on the phone.

There really does';t seem to be a larger enough gap between WP7 and WP8.... Or between my L900 or my new L920..

The Nexus just seems to have much more going to it. Mint app, Pocket app, Flipboard.... The integration with Google is deep with the Nexus and Google has shown very little love to WP.

sounds like me and you have the same feelings. I bought my Lumia at no commitment also.

GreenLeaf182

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I will most likely be returning my 920 this Tuesday. I really love the os and physical design of the phone is really nice, the only problem I have with the phone is the battery life. I don't know how people get there phones to last a full day, mine only lasts,9-10 hours. I hear it might be whatsapp that's killing my battery but if I can't use whatsapp, then I won't keep the phone. It really is a beautiful phone but I need something that can get me threw the day. I'll probably just go back to my bb 9650 and wait till bb10 comes out. I won't get an iPhone, I might get the n4, never tried android before.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The battery life issue will get fixed. I personally don't have a problem with the battery but I know some people do. So if you like everything else except that just wait a few weeks (maybe a month) and I am sure Nokia will have a hot fix on the way.

I really like my 920. I plan to keep it. Probably for the whole two years of my contract!

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I was loving everything about my 920 until this morning when it completely froze. I was dialing into voicemail and it comnected and locked up after 3 seconds of connection. The screen is frozen and nothing I do will un-freeze it.

Off to the AT@T store today for a replacement

Ron

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was loving everything about my 920 until this morning when it completely froze. I was dialing into voicemail and it comnected and locked up after 3 seconds of connection. The screen is frozen and nothing I do will un-freeze it.

Off to the AT@T store today for a replacement

Ron

Press and hold the power button down until it turns off. Then press and hold the power button until you feel it vibrate.

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Press and hold the power button down until it turns off. Then press and hold the power button until you feel it vibrate.
That did not work. However, I found the thread about hard reset (volume button down, power button), and it did a soft reset just fine. Didn't erase anything, and seems to be working just fine.

Ron

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The people going on about how the 900 screen is better than the 920 are taking crazy pills. I mean, opinions are opinions, but the colors on the 900 so blown out, it's not even funny.

I loved the inky blacks too, but not at the expense of every other color being way too intense. The only accent colors I ever used were Nokia Blue and Green. Every other color was way too vivid and bleeding everywhere. The 920 screen is just right, IMO.

I find it so odd that people like blown out and bassy Beats Audio or overblown colors on AMOLED screens or unrealistic iPhone 5 photos. It's like realistic tones and textures aren't enough anymore...

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The people going on about how the 900 screen is better than the 920 are taking crazy pills. I mean, opinions are opinions, but the colors on the 900 so blown out, it's not even funny.

I loved the inky blacks too, but not at the expense of every other color being way too intense. The only accent colors I ever used were Nokia Blue and Green. Every other color was way too vivid and bleeding everywhere. The 920 screen is just right, IMO.

I find it so odd that people like blown out and bassy Beats Audio or overblown colors on AMOLED screens or unrealistic iPhone 5 photos. It's like realistic tones and textures aren't enough anymore...

I understand the difference. Im not even complaining about the blacks, however there may be defects, ive seen a good 920 but mine is just not clear. seems as if there is a dark screen protector on it. Im gonna exchange it.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm just waiting for my 14 days to return mine, the 920 hardware wise is almost perfect, but WP8 is not ready yet, I feel like a beta tester. So many top 50 apps missing, no proper DLNA software, no NFC payments, no official Facebook app, Crippled camera software(no custom settings), No official Youtube app ( you cant even upload videos to Youtube). WP8 is just not ready.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm just waiting for my 14 days to return mine, the 920 hardware wise is almost perfect, but WP8 is not ready yet, I feel like a beta tester. So many top 50 apps missing, no proper DLNA software, no NFC payments, no official Facebook app, Crippled camera software(no custom settings), No official Youtube app ( you cant even upload videos to Youtube). WP8 is just not ready.

Sadly I feel the same way. I was really expecting something more. I loaded all the same apps on to my L920 that I had on my L920 and then..... Well that's it.... What do I really need this new device for....

And WP8.. Well I was thinking (maybe expecting) more....

anon(5327037)

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Why I returned the 920

I knew what to expect with WP8. I knew it would be a little light on the apps, and I knew most websites would look ghetto in IE b/c it's not a WebKit browser. Regardless I love the fast and slick UI. As far as the Lumia:

• Stunning display. Best I've ever used
  • amazing build quality
  • The Nokia apps were slick
  • auto brightness was extremely smooth (something most phones besides iPhone lack)
  • Low light pics were awesome

So why did it go back? It's simply too bulky. I can handle the weight but it is thick and large....overall it's just too big for me. It is a major shame the 820 has crappy screen resolution (by today's standards). Side by side the 820 screen was a far cry from the 920. So my only option left was the 8X. No way am I cool with purple or yellow, and there isn't enough space.

Why Nokia couldn't you give me a thinner slightly smaller phone with a screen like the 920? It was hard to return it. I actually left and returned to the store a few times, changing my mind every time I looked at that amazing display. Finally it went back, and now im back to the iPhone 4S. Patiently waiting for a windows phone that better suits me, hopefully by Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers