OK so here's the fat question: who's decided to return their device?

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm going to be returning it after spending $90 to unlock it as I can't use internet sharing and the battery has been terrible. I'll wait until they fix the issues and maybe revisit it again but I'll just my old Android device.

ryzama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I returned the 920

I've never understood this. The phone isn't heavy, at all. I feel like the media has hyped this up and its making people think more about it then actually realizing the phone weight is fine.

Today I showed a co-worker who has the iPhone 5 my new Lumia 920. He took it out of my hands and side "Man, what a sexy looking phone". Played around with it then gave it back. He asked some questions about the OS and camera then went on about his business. This is an Apple ****** who would have zero issues mentioning something negative about my phone. He said nothing regarding the weight. I can understand screen size, some people like a smaller phone... but weight? Really? Like how weak do people have to be to think this phone is heavy....

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm just waiting for my 14 days to return mine, the 920 hardware wise is almost perfect, but WP8 is not ready yet, I feel like a beta tester. So many top 50 apps missing, no proper DLNA software, no NFC payments, no official Facebook app, Crippled camera software(no custom settings), No official Youtube app ( you cant even upload videos to Youtube). WP8 is just not ready.

This is the truth as it still has a long way to mature and I'm not sure I can wait when there are better alternatives out there. I gave it a shot and it isn't the right time for me to switch to WP8.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

That's too bad. The weight thing is really over rated, especially since early reviews made such a big deal out of it. But at least you're not trying to force the phone on yourself. What about the Samsung Ativ? That might suit you better when it's released.

FLLMTR

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

The weight is not really a bother to me. I am curious though as to what kind of metal is in these suckers. I keep checking Youtube daily frequently to see if someone posts a disassembly video.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

That's too bad. The weight thing is really over rated, especially since early reviews made such a big deal out of it. But at least you're not trying to force the phone on yourself. What about the Samsung Ativ? That might suit you better when it's released.

I believe the Samsung ATIV S is larger than the Lumia 920?

Also, to the OP, the size of the phone is due to the built-in features of the Lumia 920. Wireless charging, the floating-lense camera, large battery, etc. It's the things people like about the Lumia 920 that make it the size it is.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

That is too bad. Seems like a small thing to most owners, but is obviously a deal killer to others. I am sure Nokia is prepping second generation WP8's. Hope one is the right one for you.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

The weight thing is highly overrated , I own a Nokia N9 and sure its not lighter than the iphone 4 or 5 but it sure as **** took a damn good beating and is still going strong. The build quality of the Lumia 920 is a direct descendant of the prototype N9. Without a doubt the Lumia 920 will definitely take much more of a beating and still survive longer than any other smartphone on the market. I am that confident.

No other will be able to come close, not Samsung, not apple. And personally I will go with substance over style 10 times out of 10. I have seen a fair share and iphones and Samsung phones get smashed from various incidents hence the reason you see people walking around with obnoxious and bulky looking otterbox cases on their phones. With the Lumia 920 theres no need for a case, my Nokia N9 is testament to that. My Nokia N9 has fallen off a height of 5 stories , it slid down a hilly road in Jamaica , it got buried in the sand at the beach and it even fell in the pool and you know what it still works. I guess I am very biased when it comes to nokia phones as I have owned no fewer than the previous 15 models they have produced but I think I have every right to be because the build quality of a nokia is no joke trust me. :lol:

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

The weight is not really a bother to me. I am curious though as to what kind of metal is in these suckers. I keep checking Youtube daily frequently to see if someone posts a disassembly video.

It's not a video, but mynokiablog posted some pictures of the insides of the 920 in this post.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

My daughter has a 4S and that is even to big for her. If she does not have her purse and tries to put it in her pocket it sticks out. I believe Nokia and other manufactures should give more options. I would never have upgraded to an 820 from my Focus. The reason I do not go with the Iphone is because lack of choice and lack of standards. Windows Phone does not have as much choice as Android, but at least it is more than the Iphone.

However, I like the size of the 920, and so does my mother in law. She has problems with the small phones. With the ease of access options on WP8, it makes it very nice for people who have problems with the small icons and text

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a GS3 a couple of days ago, is better than my Optimus in everyway, yet I'm posting this from it. The Os are so different is taking a lot to get used to.

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Got my 920 on a Friday & took it with me for a week of business travel this past week- great opportunity to put it through its paces with everything I need to use it for regularly.

Monday AM, I arrive at the airport with the web page showing my boarding pass loaded, ready to go. Phone went to sleep while walking to terminal- yet didn't wake. Now I have an unresponsive phone so have to find a kiosk & print boarding pass. Looked online once arrived at airport lounge, figured out how to successfully reset...relieved it didn't brick.

Lots of time on email, downloading apps, etc. battery life not great, but not too concerned figuring there are settings I can probably change- likely had lots of things still running in background, etc. having to download email images separately initially just a nuisance, but became intolerable after a few days- esp. Considering the little boxes to click on for images only worked occasionally.

As trips progress, hotel, car receipts come in via email- forward to expense system, as always...except now I'm getting error messages from the system, saying the attachment is in an incorrect format. Receipts are in PDF format, investigate to find that emails send from Exchange are actually sent as attachments themselves, and expense system can't work with the .eml format. Also start getting notes from others within the company- "something strange happening with your emails- you should call IT or something". Upon further investigation, learn this only happens with Exchange- Gmail, iCloud, Hotmail all operate without issue. Work email......not so much.

Pick up boss for meetings, show off new phone. His contract up as well & was waiting to see mine before making his final decision. Bring up Nokia Drive with intent to show off further & phone goes dark....at least now I know how to reset.

More conversations with coworkers, all of whom seem to have the same issues with emails sent from my phone. Boss informs me he's seen enough & ordered i5. Starting to consider exchanging for i5 myself as I fly home.

On conference call in the car as I return home from the airport- had to drop & dial back in because at one point i lost the call, even though the phone says i was connected & had 4 bars. Get a call from my wife after I rejoin the conf call, but before I can either answer her call or send it to voicemail, phone freezes again....and disconnects me from the conf call. Now I have to reset the phone again, dial into the conf call again (several comments now about the phone from others on the call)....decision has been made.

That evening, phone went back to AT&T (along with the wireless charger that I hadn't even opened yet) & switched back to IOS. Reset the phone to factory settings following the instructions online- while resetting, phone shows an image of gears turning on the screen, indicating it's working....stayed like that for 30+ minutes as I dropped my son at soccer practice & found the nearest AT&T store. Sales Rep finally tried resetting the phone...got as far as the Nokia screen & stayed there while we completed paperwork for the exchange...at least another 15 min.

Size & weight were not an issue here- certainly bigger & heavier than the i5 I now have, but that was not a factor in switching. Lots of little things that added up.

Lots of things to like about WP8 & I'll continue to watch from the sidelines to see what improvements are made. Hopefully when I'm in a position to change again there will be ample reason to give it another shot.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your sharing your experience with the phone. I haven't used it as extensively as you but I already know I can't use it as my daily driver and returning it tomorrow. I'm going to sit and wait until things improve before trying again.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I've always been a 'small phone' person. Being a woman who carries a really small purse it has been a very important point for me. In fact my Veer was my favorite phone. So after researching the new phones (my Veer died) I was hesitant to get the 920 and actually waited until I could get a hand's-on experience. I can say that the weight nor the over-all size has been an issue and I really thought it would be,

But I can certainly see how it's just too big for some folks. It's a trade-off, size/weight vs. all the goodies. I expect as the years go by the tech will continue to allow for lighter phones. Since I use my phone mostly for phone calls and text messages I would love a phone that was basically just an ear piece that I connect to my PC to load my contacts and utilizes voice commands to dial, answer, and send texts. I don't expect it but I would be the first in line. Until then I'm quite happy with my 920, much to my surprise.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like some of you needed convertible tablets or a galaxy note. But yes if your looking for a replacement for your "old" phone its going to be tough. The OS just turned 2 years old last week so it'll take time. I remember when the Iphone & Android first started out (IPhone & T-Mobile G1) man they were pretty wack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte