OK so here's the fat question: who's decided to return their device?

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like some of you needed convertible tablets or a galaxy note. But yes if your looking for a replacement for your "old" phone its going to be tough. The OS just turned 2 years old last week so it'll take time. I remember when the Iphone & Android first started out (IPhone & T-Mobile G1) man they were pretty wack.

I'm not sure why you feel you have to defend why people are not having good battery life with the phone. Yes iPhone and Android had bad battery issues when they first started but they've improved drastically and Nokia and Microsoft have access to the same technology.
I think most people when they buy a premium phone expect to it to have decent battery life and we just can't excuse it just because the OS is two years old. It just proves that they have to try a little harder to make sure when normal customers buy it they won't run into the same issue that us hardcore users have.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Why are some of you going on about weight when he said it wasn't the weight??
I am sticking with mine, but must admit, the phone is large and unless you have bigger hands, its not an easy phone to use one handed. The other smart phones I've had, I could do most things, except games and the lime obviously, with one hand. With the 920, its just too large for some to use comfortably with one hand.

octavian90

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I returned the 920

I know this has been said a thousand times, but I <3 the weight, coming from iphone4/galaxy note which felt TOO LIGHT!

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I know it is a matter of personal preference but I have not seen a phone that is too big. I use a headset most of the time so I don't usually hold a phone to my ear. If the Kindle Fire was also a phone I would buy it.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you feel you have to defend why people are not having good battery life with the phone. Yes iPhone and Android had bad battery issues when they first started but they've improved drastically and Nokia and Microsoft have access to the same technology.
I think most people when they buy a premium phone expect to it to have decent battery life and we just can't excuse it just because the OS is two years old. It just proves that they have to try a little harder to make sure when normal customers buy it they won't run into the same issue that us hardcore users have.

I'm sorry but my response was about those who felt that their was a lack of apps and/or felt that the OS was not ready yet for mass consumption. I mentioned the Iphone and the G1 as when they first came out they didn't have all the necessary functions. Heck if I remember correctly the Iphone didn't have MMS at first and copy and paste.

JSern

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I knew what to expect with WP8. I knew it would be a little light on the apps, and I knew most websites would look ghetto in IE b/c it's not a WebKit browser. Regardless I love the fast and slick UI. As far as the Lumia:

• Stunning display. Best I've ever used
  • amazing build quality
  • The Nokia apps were slick
  • auto brightness was extremely smooth (something most phones besides iPhone lack)
  • Low light pics were awesome

So why did it go back? It's simply too bulky. I can handle the weight but it is thick and large....overall it's just too big for me. It is a major shame the 820 has crappy screen resolution (by today's standards). Side by side the 820 screen was a far cry from the 920. So my only option left was the 8X. No way am I cool with purple or yellow, and there isn't enough space.

Why Nokia couldn't you give me a thinner slightly smaller phone with a screen like the 920? It was hard to return it. I actually left and returned to the store a few times, changing my mind every time I looked at that amazing display. Finally it went back, and now im back to the iPhone 4S. Patiently waiting for a windows phone that better suits me, hopefully by Nokia.

I'm sorry, the ***** section is at the Apple store.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I can understand if the size is too big for some people.

I will say this about the 820 though. When I saw the screen in person, it was beautiful. Sure, the resolution isn't as high, but dang, it looked really really really nice. Especially in motion.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating returning my 920 and returning to the joy of using my Samsung Focus with Zune. My Focus is pretty beat up, drops calls due to a bad proximity sensor and the battery and camera kind of suck but it at least syncs wirelessly and painlessly with my PC. I might wait out this round of WP8 devices until Microsoft figures out how to get this syncing situation fixed on Windows 8 and WP8, by then maybe there'll be a new Nokia that kicks the crap out of the 920.

We'll see. I'll probably wait it out until the end of the 30 days just in case MS or Nokia announces a big update with major fixes. Right now my phone is an unnecessary headache.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine... but not for the "traditional" reasons. The MS store got cyan in so I wanted to pick that up along with the protection plan. There was a problem processing my upgrade today, so back to the 4S until that gets settled (hopefully tomorrow). As much as I complained about this phone, I already miss it. What do I miss most? Web browser and reading the news. I will say I enjoyed hearing the custom text tones on my iPhone all day though. Knowing who is texting you before you pick up the device is pretty nice. Especially with work related stuff.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

My daughter has a 4S and that is even to big for her. If she does not have her purse and tries to put it in her pocket it sticks out. I believe Nokia and other manufactures should give more options.

Respectfully, if the iPhone 4 is too big for her, even additional options from anyone else is going to be too big too.

At the end of the day these companies need to make a decision. They are already releasing a bunch of devices. They want to go with interchangeable parts, when they can, but most of all "interchangeable" software as well. Providing support, updates, etc. costs money, money, money. And the more devices you have, the more green you have to throw at them.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I returned my 920. The overheating issue it had bothered me but I could live with it. The connectivity issue, on the other hand, was not; in the 3 days I had it, there were 4 occasions when I had 4 bars of signal but none of the apps would connect. They'd just sit there syncing until I restarted the phone. My intention was to swap the phone for a new one but when I got to the AT&T store and laid hands on the 8X, I was sold. So I got an 8X.

I'm staying with Windows Phone, though. The lack of apps doesn't bother me, I'm not a huge app consumer anyway (on my 32gb iPhone 4 the only apps I had consistently installed were OneNote, Facebook, and Strava [which I will miss, sadly]). I run Windows 8 on my personal laptop and my work desktop and I really like the homogeneity of the two systems.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I returned my 920. The overheating issue it had bothered me but I could live with it. The connectivity issue, on the other hand, was not; in the 3 days I had it, there were 4 occasions when I had 4 bars of signal but none of the apps would connect. They'd just sit there syncing until I restarted the phone. My intention was to swap the phone for a new one but when I got to the AT&T store and laid hands on the 8X, I was sold. So I got an 8X.

I'm staying with Windows Phone, though. The lack of apps doesn't bother me, I'm not a huge app consumer anyway (on my 32gb iPhone 4 the only apps I had consistently installed were OneNote, Facebook, and Strava [which I will miss, sadly]). I run Windows 8 on my personal laptop and my work desktop and I really like the homogeneity of the two systems.

Miss Strava no more! I asked the same question here a few months back, and here is the answer I recently got:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/strava/833233a2-8d06-4f43-aa17-cecb3555b03c

Looks like a solid app.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried that on my 920, but the app stopped recording 10 seconds into the ride. I uninstalled the app at that point. I have yet to try it since I got my 8X, but I'll give it another shot. :)

prowade

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I came from a long line of android devices (G1, myTouch, Nexus One, GS1) and made the jump to windows phone shortly before Mango. Sure there are a few apps missing but I have found third party apps or equivalent apps to take their place and have not looked back.

I absolutely love how smooth the OS is and it feels more like a friend than a tool.

Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 92

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

My daughter has a 4S and that is even to big for her. If she does not have her purse and tries to put it in her pocket it sticks out. I believe Nokia and other manufactures should give more options.

DULde.jpg

Nokia 700 - Smartphone with NFC Technology - Nokia - UK

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have made switch from google to Microsoft ecosystem (outlook.com/sky drive/etc) and it definitely enhances WP8. Er even use office 365 at work so everything fits together nicely. That said, i can see that if i was still w/ google i might not enjoy wp8 as much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos