Only complaints with the phone...Color themes one of them!!

Eddie Stanbrough

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm testing the black lumia 920 while waiting for my yellow one (I have to admit I love the matte black, and am questioning yellow now after seeing the color theme choices from nokia given that I'm not a fan of the yellow home screen theme)
My only complaints apart from the apps, which will eventually come now that windows 8 has arrived:

1. THE COLOR THEMES!!! These are some awful colors, apart from some greens, the blues, and the purples, every other color seems off and not colorful enough...
Yellow looks like Dijon mustard, pink looks like salmon, magenta is off, olive is not olive...Yellow is my biggest disappointment..
Please allow us more colors or brighter color choices, can these be updated?...

2. I'd like to be able to pin home pictures on homescreen, i dont want picture wall paper but I'd like a couple pictures on there of my choice.

3. I'd like to replace the search button to display a google search and not Bing...And once again I'd like to change that to a wallpaper image and not one of the random images they provide on the bing search...I've changed Internet defaults to show google and not Bing but do not think I can do that for the search button itself...

4. When browsing, I can not go forward. And if I push the windows button while browsing and then go back to IE, then I can NOT EVEN GO BACK!!! Therefore the internet needs some updating in that respect badly!

5. In Music I can not push to skip to the middle of the song but have to just fast forward...Disappointing a little!!

Is there something I can do to fix any of this?? Is this stuff that could be fixed with updates if Nokia or Microsoft updated in the future??

Last edited:

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
#4 is an annoyance to me as well.

But I think the biggest annoyance (and to me, it is pretty annoying), is the fact that you can not adjust sound levels for ringtones, texts, music, emails, etc. independently.
I mean, seriously, If I want to turn down my music, it turns the ringtone down too? And my other notifications? Definitely not cool, as I almost never remember to turn it back up so I can hear my phone ring.

I'm hoping it will be something that gets addressed, but it is still not a deal breaker for me.
I actually really like the phone itself, and also WP8 so far - with the exception of a few things...
Looking forward to some updates!

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree with most of that. I love the "steel" color but it makes email almost impossible since you can barely tell which ones are unread.

prissysox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
#4 is an annoyance to me as well.

But I think the biggest annoyance (and to me, it is pretty annoying), is the fact that you can not adjust sound levels for ringtones, texts, music, emails, etc. independently.
I mean, seriously, If I want to turn down my music, it turns the ringtone down too? And my other notifications? Definitely not cool, as I almost never remember to turn it back up so I can hear my phone ring.

I'm hoping it will be something that gets addressed, but it is still not a deal breaker for me.
I actually really like the phone itself, and also WP8 so far - with the exception of a few things...
Looking forward to some updates!

On the volume issue: when you hit the volume rocker you should see **/30 on left side. This is your media volume. On your left side is icon and it will say either ring and vibrate or vibrate and the icon matches. Tap icon to switch back and forth.

As for thing I miss most from Android is custom notification sounds for email, text and individual text. I could tell without picking up my phone who was contacting me and now I don't have a clue.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
#2 = its possible to create Facebook albums with your picture of choice, then pin that album to your start screen.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get the color choice! Can't they just offer a palette of every single color you can come up with? Big DEAL!!!

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You can change the search engine to be google.
Under, settings, then applications, then Internet Explorer, advanced, and change the search provider to google. Done.

Eddie Stanbrough

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You can set different ringtones for different contacts...I think you choose when you set up the contact and add the name and number and it asks for ringtone I thought??

Eddie Stanbrough

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
@ Robo monkey: You can change them under internet explorer to google, (which I have done, and was a BIG RELIEF), this works only though for when you are browsing internet...But you can not do the same switch to the bing search...It's not a big deal, i never use the search button anyways and would click on internet, but if it's one of my screens I'd like a pic of my choice...

gman1868

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
On the volume issue: when you hit the volume rocker you should see **/30 on left side. This is your media volume. On your left side is icon and it will say either ring and vibrate or vibrate and the icon matches. Tap icon to switch back and forth.

As for thing I miss most from Android is custom notification sounds for email, text and individual text. I could tell without picking up my phone who was contacting me and now I don't have a clue.

You can assign separate ringtones to individual contacts in the People Hub

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to be able to pin home pictures on homescreen, i dont want picture wall paper but I'd like a couple pictures on there of my choice.

A few apps that can help you pin pictures to your homescreen in a variety of ways:

My Live Tile (you can create up to 8 tiles, all of them can be "live" if you want with a back photo/text or both.)
MyTileMaker (You can create multiple tiles with static images, but they can't flip. You can also pick a large image and automatically "cut it up" into multiple tiles)
Tile It (will split up your image into multiple tiles. Not ideal if you just want one image per tile... unless there's a way I haven't discovered)
Wiztiles (create several "live" tiles that each flip to show another image. You can also create "themes" of tiles with your own images, or download some ready made ones.)
Custom Tile Maker (create multiple "live" tiles with images for the back when it flips. In the free version, you can choose to display a single tile or your image cut into two tiles.)

All of the above are free, and some of them have additional functionality beyond just displaying images. As an example, I've used My Live Tile to create an accent colored tile that I shrunk to a small tile and used it as "free space" in my layout. I used Wiztiles to create a tile with a custom made "Bing Maps" image, and when tapped it brings me to www.bing.com/maps which instantly launches the Bing Maps app. That allows me to easily get around the (unfortunately inferior) Nokia Maps.

When browsing, I can not go forward. And if I push the windows button while browsing and then go back to IE, then I can NOT EVEN GO BACK!!! Therefore the internet needs some updating in that respect badly!

I agree that it needs an overhaul in regards to in-app navigation. The only way to actually go forward (and back if you've left the app) is to hit the three little dots in the lower right, then tap 'recent' and you'll see it in there. You can also download the UC Browser which actually has proper forward and back buttons in it ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077