Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

JohnDoes

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Could you please help me download the correct firmware?
I have a german device, unlocked and white. The Firmware "name"(?) seems RM-821_eu_euro2_248 and the firmware "number" is: 1232.2109.1242.1001.

Update: found

Last edited:

hectord27

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
worked great, thank you! By the way for anyone using Windows 8...if you don't see the "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820\" folder...

go to your file explorer.
click View at the top bar.
Check "hidden files" and C:\ProgramData\ folder should show under Computer\C:

I went nuts trying to figure this out so I hope this helps anyone trying to find it, kudos.

hectord27

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried it on my windows 8 computer and it didn't work :( good news I bought a new phone from the microsoft store and returned the bad unit to at&t

I have Windows 8 and I can't say exactly how I was able to do it since I went around in circles and I figured it out.

Try this:

go the start menu (metro) and type "update"
You should now get some results if you don't make sure that "settings" is clicked on the right menu.
Click on "Install Optional Updates"
I simply updated my whole list and then reinstalled the VC++ 2010 and 2005.
Restart!
Try again. Tell me if that works.
Also, like I said in another comment, if you can't see the c:/program data folder go to "view" on the File Explorer and check "Hidden Files" to show the folder under C:

Hope that works and saves you a headache.

JohnDoes

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal that it says i have no battery left after flashing?
Edit: Ok, it charges slowly but it charges, was just empty :/

Last edited:

kellow87

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have tried this several times and still can't get it to work. Bricked my phone last night after a reset. I noticed that the drivers for my phone aren't installed on my PC however which might explain why it isn't working. Does anyone know where I can get the drivers? I'm on Orange by the way, which release should I be using. I'm not actually on a EE sim I'm still with Orange. Cheers

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was never able to get my PC to recognize my 920 so I ended up just doing it on a different PC. I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it because I plan on re-installing soon anyway.

andrantos

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I factory reset bricked my phone as well. I followed these steps and it thankfully resolved the issue. I was provided these steps from a CSR and it also successfully reset the phone as well without bricking it:
Step 1:

1. Make sure the charger is disconnected.
2. Switch the power Off.
3. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

(To exit press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 10 seconds).

Step 2:

Then input Keys in the following order:

1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Since the last reset via hardware buttons, I've successfully factory reset the phone through the "About" screen twice now.

kellow87

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it on a different pc and it worked, more specifically windows 8, windows 7 previously. Think it was more to do with drivers than anything.

A_Hel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is my experience.

Bricked after a hard reset, I had to do something. I'm in Belgium, where the phone will be available only in two months and I bought it in Germany where they ran out, so I couldn't even exchange it.
Took me a while to do the manoeuvre (despite the clarity of the explanation) but I finally got it and have to thank you! I'm not sure about the firmwire I used but everything seems to work fine, even better than before. The battery life might be slightly better but time will tell. Nonetheless, two points to report.

First I had a little problem with facebook. I recently changed my account and the old one appeared during the backup. Then when I tried to delete it, I simply couldn't. The solution is to delete it on pc via your live account, then sync your live account via outlook on your phone and there won't be any error message showing no more.

Secondly, I don't see any nokia apps in the market place. I have them installed, but what about the updates? Even before it bricked, I had to update manually via the marketplace, despite the options I've settled it wasn't automatic. Actually, I've never had any updates showing up in the marketplace, I always had to look after them myself. Thus, how things gonne be now?

Anyway, thanks a lot, you did save my a*s!

edit: I mean, I know you're supposed to see updates on the "home page" marketplace, but I had to search for the app like I wanted to download it and then click oo update

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
@itxjobe
After installing the new bunch of updates and playing words with friends last night my phone bricked..I can not return it to AT&T cause i have it for more than 14 days. I forgot that some apps were causing this and i read somewhere that Words with Friends is one of those. Thanks to you i fix my phone. If i reset the phone now from the about section , it will bricked again? Do you think that the update that Microsoft is planning to release next month will fix all this problems?

In a little bit different topic but staying on the flashing conversation
.What about if you install the global version on an AT&T device. Will it make it unlocked. I was checking the files when i was downloading them and in the AT&T version there is one that says NPW8_WP8_ATT_US_simlock etc. I guess that the file that keeps the phone locked to AT&T. But if you go the Global version the file says NPW8_simlock_open_WP8 etc. What about if you download both files and replaced the AT&T one with the Global and flash your phone. Does it make it unlocked. Or download the whole Global files and install them in the AT&T phone. I mean this is like flashing a different ROM and some of us are familiar with flashing ROMS. Similar method is the one that we use to flash the T-mobile HTC HD7 with the Custom ROMS made with the european version of the phone. Thanks again and i'm pretty sure that this is the first step into hacking this phone to install Custom Roms

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
So the RM-820 Developer Edition firmware right is not yet available on the servers right? The Developer Edition contains a non-branded Vanilla Rom for the RM-820.
I currently see only the AT&T and Rogers branded ROMs.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So the RM-820 Developer Edition firmware right is not yet available on the servers right? The Developer Edition contains a non-branded Vanilla Rom for the RM-820.
I currently see only the AT&T and Rogers branded ROMs.

Yeah but now on top of the firmware for the AT&T black which yesterday was the first on the list there is a new firmware that doesn't belong to any of the colors. Let's wait to see which one this belong to.

A_Hel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, what about installing a fairly different firmwire?
I can't see any nokia apps in the marketplace since I've flashed it, when I tried to install the extras+info via an QR code it says the update isn't available for my device. This might be a software issue, although it's also maybe because I'm in Belgium.

Can somebody help me here? Would reinstalling a different firmwire be a good idea?

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but now on top of the firmware for the AT&T black which yesterday was the first on the list there is a new firmware that doesn't belong to any of the colors. Let's wait to see which one this belong to.

Very interesting. Does it clarify a Carrier? AT&T / Rogers?

If that's the Developer Edition Rom, will make many people happy as we will finally will be able to Debrand the American Lumia 920. Especially the Rogers version that does not even have a Carrier Logo will be really sweet.

If anyone can give it a try please I would really appreciate it.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting. Does it clarify a Carrier? AT&T / Rogers?

If that's the Developer Edition Rom, will make many people happy as we will finally will be able to Debrand the American Lumia 920. Especially the Rogers version that does not even have a Carrier Logo will be really sweet.

If anyone can give it a try please I would really appreciate it.
It is above the black one in the AT&T section, It doesn't have the model number at the beginning like the others. The regular ones start like this example: RM-820_NAM_ATT_US VAR237330)_V1_black (059L848), then below the other color etc etc.

This one is PWBASSY RM-820 LIGHT SWAP ENG ATT (059R6K1) and is placed before the black which is the first on the list of the colored models
If someone out there can tell what PWBASSY and LIGHT SWAP means, because by the model number (RM-820) and the fact that says ENG ATT it tell us that should work on our devices. The thing is that the words ATT to me means that if we flash it will display the ATT bootloader and i don't know if the phone will still locked to that abusive and greedy carrier

taatel

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't get this to work. My 920's version is rm-821_cv_fi. The recovery program just tells to restart and then click retry again and again. When I restart by pressing volume down+power button, the phone shows nokia-text and then goes to a blue screen (of death?). By pressing volume up after reset I can get the cogwheel to show up on the screen but in a while the program tells to restart again. What am I doing wrong?
edit: it seems that the program isn't recoqnizing the phone at all. So it might be about the drivers or something like that? I'm installing w8 to my pc right now, I hope that'll make a difference.
edit2: it DID make a difference! with w8 the recovery worked like a charm, didnt even ask to reset i quess. thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99